Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Just out of curiosity, how long do you think this translation will take to complete? It must have taken a while already.
I started working on this project in november 2021. It usually takes me a few months to release the patch, and based on what is left to do, this game shouldn't be an exception.

So I'd say sometime during 2022, most probably after summer since I'll have had some holidays to spend time on the patch, but don't take my word on it, in case I stumble on some unexpected difficulty ! :)

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hmpf... Quite an upsetting thing happened today...

So I was checking the patch with Riivolution to see how the text looked on real hardware (considering the font is different than Dolphin), and had the unpleasant surprise to realize the "..." special character doesn't exist on the Wii! (See the "I'm not sure..." below.)

chibi points.jpg

Concretely, this means everytime I used ellipsis in my translation so far, it will appear as blank on Wii (but not on Dolphin)!

That's a big issue for me, considering I use the special character a lot since it only takes two hexadecimal values (81 63), whereas three dots will be "2E 2E 2E".

That means I'll have to go back in the files I considered to be "done", and replace the ellipsis with three dots everytime I can : since I usually use all the space I have, that means I'll probably have to rephrase some things along the way...

This is another example that you should always test-proof your work on real hardware at an early stage : well, at least I own a Wii and could detect the issue before I released anything!

Happy Easter to all!

Last edited by Brand Newman,

Mikef1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been burnt testing on emulators before too. Using real hardware is the true test for any software. Maybe you could just use 2 dots instead. Search for 81 63 and replace with 2E 2E. You wouldn't need to rephrase, but it might not look as good..
Keep going forward; I'd like to play this summer if possible.

Mike

Reactions: ChibiMofo

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I've been burnt testing on emulators before too. Using real hardware is the true test for any software. Maybe you could just use 2 dots instead. Search for 81 63 and replace with 2E 2E. You wouldn't need to rephrase, but it might not look as good..
Keep going forward; I'd like to play this summer if possible.

Mike
Yes, I always go for real hardware as well (after all Riivolution is meant to be used with retail disc), but I gotta admit I didn't expect the game to not display the ellipsis correctly.

Should have seen it coming, though, considering Chibi-Robo is using the system font, which is why you get gibberish on non-Japanese consoles...

But it's OK, I have changed all the occurrences already, and only had to change a few things : back to the translation this WE!

Reactions: ChibiMofo

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I also noticed some slight font rendering issues in your video, particularly when it comes to the uppercase T. Is that an emulation bug or an issue with the patch?
Good evening everyone, some good news here!

Remember when we talked about how the font seemed different on Dolphin than it was on the original hardware?

Turns out you can restore the Nintendo system font by finding the Game Cube bios by yourself (or extract it from your own console), and put it into the Dolphin folder (see https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Template:Problems/GC_Font).

I did it today, and the result is quite better (especially uppercase T), and identical to what you see when you play the game on a real Wii! (not to mention it should prevent me from forgetting a linebreak in case I don't test some part of the game on Wii hardware.)

Please find below some pictures for a side-to-side comparison:

chibi00.jpg

chibi02.jpg

chibi01.jpg

I intend to put the tutorial in my readme file, and while I won't provide a link, it's fairly easy to find the bios, so hopefully people who'll play the translated game on Dolphin will get a result as good as on the original thing! :D

See you later!

Reactions: swosho and oji

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Another difference between gamecube and wii versions of Chibi-Robo is the manual, which provides names of categories on Wii.

Since international version changed some of them, I had to find a similar font and modify them (thank you very much Casady & Greene, creator of the HighlandGothicFLF font!)

Below is a little comparison I published on my Twitter account.

GGTE01_2022-05-01_10-29-52.png

R24J01_2022-05-01_10-27-19.png

page_L.4.png
page_L.4.png

page_L.5.png
page_L.5.png

page_L.6.png
page_L.6.png

page_L.7.png
page_L.7.png

Now, can any of you English-speaking native person explain to me what "leticers" actually means?! :D

CAugustusM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another difference between gamecube and wii versions of Chibi-Robo is the manual, which provides names of categories on Wii.

Since international version changed some of them, I had to find a similar font and modify them (thank you very much Casady & Greene, creator of the HighlandGothicFLF font!)

Below is a little comparison I published on my Twitter account.

View attachment 308177
View attachment 308178
View attachment 308179View attachment 308180
View attachment 308181View attachment 308182

View attachment 308183View attachment 308184
View attachment 308185View attachment 308186
Now, can any of you English-speaking native person explain to me what "leticers" actually means?! :D
I’ve spoken English all my life and never heard the word before 😂 according to Google, Letice is a Latin word meaning “joy,” but that’s all I could find

Kran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good evening everyone, some good news here!

Remember when we talked about how the font seemed different on Dolphin than it was on the original hardware?

Turns out you can restore the Nintendo system font by finding the Game Cube bios by yourself (or extract it from your own console), and put it into the Dolphin folder (see https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Template:Problems/GC_Font).

I did it today, and the result is quite better (especially uppercase T), and identical to what you see when you play the game on a real Wii! (not to mention it should prevent me from forgetting a linebreak in case I don't test some part of the game on Wii hardware.)

Please find below some pictures for a side-to-side comparison:

View attachment 307187
View attachment 307188
View attachment 307189

I intend to put the tutorial in my readme file, and while I won't provide a link, it's fairly easy to find the bios, so hopefully people who'll play the translated game on Dolphin will get a result as good as on the original thing! :D

See you later!
In my opinion, the logo looks strange as is. There was an official english logo that used these colours, and is more accurate to the japanese logo. I have attatched a (insanely hd) remake I made a while ago, feel free to use it if you want, or make your own version. (I also attatched the source image)

Attachments

• myserylogo.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • image_2022-05-21_151401097.png
    image_2022-05-21_151401097.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Brand Newman

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
In my opinion, the logo looks strange as is. There was an official english logo that used these colours, and is more accurate to the japanese logo. I have attatched a (insanely hd) remake I made a while ago, feel free to use it if you want, or make your own version. (I also attatched the source image)
Hello @Kran ,

Thank you for sending me a HD version of the official English logo I wasn't aware of! What was the reason it was created, if I may ask (since the game was never released outside Japan)?

I'm under the impression the logo you sent me is a combination of the Japanese one (black letters) and the logo that was created for the game "photo finder" (same colored blocks in the background, although simplified) ?
842633b4-f31b-44b5-a871-10080b13ed64.png

Anyway, your logo is great, but it's missing the hyphen of the international release, so I took the liberty to recreate it.

Below is the result, which I intend to use in the final release. Thank you again for your contribution!

myserylogohyphen.png

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Time for a little comparison:

Original Game Cube title:
GGTE01_2021-11-07_09-25-21.png

Original Wii title (Japanese):
R24J01_2022-05-22_10-03-46.png

A little draft I had done by simply "importing" the Game Cube title into the Wii game (decided I didn't want to keep it):
R24J01_2021-11-07_09-39-51.png

My first "final" title (international letters with Wii background):
R24J01_2022-04-22_20-46-52.png

The new title (black letters from the Wii version):
R24J01_2022-05-22_10-03-29.png

Nomado

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
:O That logo sure looks good. To me, yellow or orange coloring for the letters look much better. Looks more similar to GC titlescreen. Have you considered your final version with yellow letters? Anyway, so excited 😊

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
:O That logo sure looks good. To me, yellow or orange coloring for the letters look much better. Looks more similar to GC titlescreen. Have you considered your final version with yellow letters? Anyway, so excited 😊
Thank you for your comment. :)

To be frank, I like Kran's logo better, as it resembles the original one much more than mine.

I know mine looked more like the GC version (since I actually took the letters from it, and then separated and distorded them to fit in the Wii logo), but the point of this translation is to emphasize the differences between the two versions, whether it's in translation, graphical resources, or gameplay.

So I believe I'll stick to the black letters. :)

Anyway, that's the occasion to say I have completed one more file (the "basement dialogs", God these pirates' expressions...), and have started "Jenny's bedroom" today!

We're getting there!

Good night to ya all.

Kran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello @Kran ,

Thank you for sending me a HD version of the official English logo I wasn't aware of! What was the reason it was created, if I may ask (since the game was never released outside Japan)?

I'm under the impression the logo you sent me is a combination of the Japanese one (black letters) and the logo that was created for the game "photo finder" (same colored blocks in the background, although simplified) ?
View attachment 310869
Anyway, your logo is great, but it's missing the hyphen of the international release, so I took the liberty to recreate it.

Below is the result, which I intend to use in the final release. Thank you again for your contribution!

View attachment 310870
The logo is actually an early version of the international logo if I'm not mistaken. These are the sites I found it on;

https://digilander.libero.it/mariomagazine2/chibi-robo-preview.html
https://www.everyeye.it/notizie/-e3...ntendo-si-mostra-in-video-immagini-19491.html

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I actually have the disc for this game, can't wait to patch my own rip. Will the patch require Xdelta?
Hello, the patch will use Riivolution (like my previous ones), which basically replaces files "on the fly" using a retail disc.

That being said, I'll provide the usual method to modify the iso as an alternative in the "readme".

I've been working on this patch for months, and have translated around half the files, but on the last 15 days I've been switching to a smaller project which is about to be done (I'm beta testing right now), and it's "ODEKAKE EARTH SEEKER", which is a DS mini game that was released alongside the first game I've ever translated.

So expect some news about that soon, then I'll come back to Chibi-Robo and will publish some new pictures or vid to keep you informed.

Have a nice day.

Waifu4Life

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, the patch will use Riivolution (like my previous ones), which basically replaces files "on the fly" using a retail disc.

That being said, I'll provide the usual method to modify the iso as an alternative in the "readme".

I've been working on this patch for months, and have translated around half the files, but on the last 15 days I've been switching to a smaller project which is about to be done (I'm beta testing right now), and it's "ODEKAKE EARTH SEEKER", which is a DS mini game that was released alongside the first game I've ever translated.

So expect some news about that soon, then I'll come back to Chibi-Robo and will publish some new pictures or vid to keep you informed.

Have a nice day.

Cool, can't wait for it!

Cheers

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hello there, still working on the translation for my last day of holidays!

I'm currently on the biggest file of them all (except for the "global.bin" file, which is done anyway) : 261 ko of your favorite Kansai dialect, by Dinah the dinosaur! :cry:

Just a quick survey if you will, just to know about your opinion : the original character is a typical "Oba-Chan", which is stereotype for middle-aged women in Japan : very motherly, quite attentive to good manners, etc.

Now, in the translated version, they turned her into some sort of old "southern belle", which I think is quite clever, considering these types of characters share some ressemblances to the "Oba-Chan".

As previously stated, the translators sometimes took a lot of liberty with the original script anyway, and now I'm just dyyyyyyiing to put a Blanche Dubois (A Streetcar named Desire) reference.

So I was thinking about altering this line a bit, what's your thought?

(Just after Dinah asks Chibi for help, if he says "yes")

Original:
ええ子やね
おばちゃん返事のいい子すきやで

Rough translation:
"You're a good boy.
I like that you have good manners."

Game Cube version (far too long to fit in the file):
That's the spirit! I always did like a
young'un with good manners.

1st option (most accurate, but I like it a bit less):
Good, I like my youngsters well-mannered.

2nd option (the spirit of Blanche Dubois!):
Always rely on the kindness of strangers.

For those who don't know "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers" is the character's most famous line, which she says towards the end of the movie, and is almost as famous as the "STELLAAAAA" scream of Marlon Brando in the same film.

For those who find it shameful that the term "well-mannered" would disappear, I'd like to say that the following line (when you decide not to help Dinah) is "You ill-mannered punk!", so I don't believe it's a big loss.

Anyway, even though my mind is probably settled, I was still curious about your opinion. Do you think it's actually too far-fetched? I really hope you don't...

Thank you in advance, have a nice holiday, I'm off to some Riviera lunch on the beach for the last day of mine!

Cheers!

Last edited by Brand Newman,
Reactions: ChibiMofo and oji

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Another file completed, and I made a discovery today.

As I was getting to the end of the file that was supposed to contain the lyrics of the song "Teriyaki Blues", it turned out they were nowhere to be found in the Wii files!

I found an online video that confirmed the lyrics indeed existed (I considered it could be only audio in Japanese), which you can watch below:

Then I digged a little bit more into the disc, and discovered the song is actually a video with a "karaoke effect" on the Wii!

teriyaki.JPG

Meaning I'll have to modify it the same way I did with Reginleiv (it's the same format, so unless something unexpected happens, I should be able to do it).

Now, that means I can technically alter the lyrics a bit more, since they're not exactly literal, but I believe I'll just use the international version, for the same reason I kept the names : the song is just too well known as it is.

I do hope I'll be able to reproduce this karaoke effect, which is trickier than it seems. This will make the patch bigger too, but not to the extend that I'll have to host it on Google drive instead of Romhacking (well, hopefully...)

Anyway, that's all for the news, have a nice week!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...