Chibi-Robo English translation for Wii

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.... Glad to see another Japan exclusive Wii game starting to get translated! The Wii had so many great games that were never released elsewhere but Japan, and the language barrier could be a deal breaker, depending on the game. I love seeing these games being acknowledged outside Japan. Can't wait for the full release! Modders do what Nintendon't!

nzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is this close to done yet? I'd be so interested to play Chibi-Robo! on the Wii with the motion controls and in English.

Reactions: Aserl

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hi @nzer , and thanks for your enthusiasm.

To answer your questions:
  • Apart from the graphical resources that are already done, I'm supposed to modify 40 files containing various Japanese dialogs : so far I've done 13, but some are much bigger than others, so I'd say I'm around 20-30% of completion if I had to speak in percentage. That being said, even when the job is done, we'll still have to beta test everything, which usually takes an extra month or so (you have to play the game thoroughly, this is a very important part I don't wanna rush),
  • As for making the game work on American Wii U, assuming you've already modded the vWii mode of your console, you'll have to use either Riivolution with a retail disc (the method being very straightforward), or a loader like USB Loader GX.

You can already look at the methods on the readme files provided in my previous patches : they'll remain the same for this one.

Hope my answers were satisfactory, please know I'm working on Chibi-Robo everyday.

Yours truly.

Last edited by Brand Newman,

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, does anybody know how to get Japanese Wii Games working on a North American Wii U?
Wiiflow or any USB/SD card loader. I do not have a Japanese wii disc (or any wii import discs for that matter but i would love to own one someday) but since the Wii U is region locked the same applies to vWii as far as discs/channels/wiiware are concerned. Priiloader does not work on vWii soooooooooo USB/SD card loader is your only option. USB loader is a good region lock bypasser for channels/wiiware and wiiflow is for out of region games. Just make sure you have your video mode set to NTSC/Progressive for out of region stuff. Or else your TV might not handle the signal correctly. HDMI seems to handle it fine but it's always good to do just in case because some stuff might crash if you don't. Hoped this helps.

Reactions: Brand Newman

CAugustusM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m relatively new to modding, and I’m a bit fuzzy on some stuff about it. Would this be released as a file we can play on our wiis via homebrew, or is it a rom hack we’d have to apply to a .wbfs file we’d have already? If so, does the hack get applied on a computer or does it have to be done through a software on the Wii? Do we need the disc to play it or no? Sorry for any dumb questions

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The OP only refers to a 'Riivolution Patch' - this is a folder structure you copy to your SD card and utilise with the original game DISC.
however,,,,,,,,,very often these also release as a patch which can be applies to an ISO image (on PC) and then this patched ISO used with a launcher - so no need to source an original physical game disc.
guess we'll need to see what Brand Newman intends to release
:)

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I’m relatively new to modding, and I’m a bit fuzzy on some stuff about it. Would this be released as a file we can play on our wiis via homebrew, or is it a rom hack we’d have to apply to a .wbfs file we’d have already? If so, does the hack get applied on a computer or does it have to be done through a software on the Wii? Do we need the disc to play it or no? Sorry for any dumb questions
Hello @CAugustusM (your profile picture makes me crack up, I just imagine a goose asking question, I'm sorry :lol:).

With the notable exception of "Line Attack Heroes" (which was a Wiiware), all my patches were Riivolution ones, and so will Chibi-Robo.

That means the primary goal is for users of real hardware who own a retail disc to be able to play their games by inserting them in their console, assuming they've installed Riivolution homebrew.

However, I've provided the method in my former projects (and this time again, you'll be able to do so), for people to modify an ISO (or WBFS) using the WIT software : this way you won't have to use your retail disc and, well, if you happen to have a digital copy of the game one way or another (which is none of my business :unsure:), you will be able to modify it and make it a "permanently translated" copy of the game.

It's not very hard, just a little bit more time consuming, but usually the first people to download my patches will create a modified iso and put them online "somewhere", so I assume a ready-to-go solution will be available by the end of the year?

I just find the Riivolution solution better because:
(a) I don't quite approve piracy (I get why sometimes people can have their reasons, between the prices and unavailability... look at "Line Attack Heroes" for example... but let's just not go there), and,
(b) I'm very cautious about patches that require a certain version of a game, or rely on an exact copy of it, to work (quick reminder that some Wii isos have the "UPDATE" partition in them, which is useless, and your resulted iso will be messed up if the patch expects you to have a "game only" copy).

Hoping I have answered your question, I'm back to my translation !

Have a nice day.

Reactions: zfreeman

CAugustusM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello @CAugustusM (your profile picture makes me crack up, I just imagine a goose asking question, I'm sorry :lol:).

With the notable exception of "Line Attack Heroes" (which was a Wiiware), all my patches were Riivolution ones, and so will Chibi-Robo.

That means the primary goal is for users of real hardware who own a retail disc to be able to play their games by inserting them in their console, assuming they've installed Riivolution homebrew.

However, I've provided the method in my former projects (and this time again, you'll be able to do so), for people to modify an ISO (or WBFS) using the WIT software : this way you won't have to use your retail disc and, well, if you happen to have a digital copy of the game one way or another (which is none of my business :unsure:), you will be able to modify it and make it a "permanently translated" copy of the game.

It's not very hard, just a little bit more time consuming, but usually the first people to download my patches will create a modified iso and put them online "somewhere", so I assume a ready-to-go solution will be available by the end of the year?

I just find the Riivolution solution better because:
(a) I don't quite approve piracy (I get why sometimes people can have their reasons, between the prices and unavailability... look at "Line Attack Heroes" for example... but let's just not go there), and,
(b) I'm very cautious about patches that require a certain version of a game, or rely on an exact copy of it, to work (quick reminder that some Wii isos have the "UPDATE" partition in them, which is useless, and your resulted iso will be messed up if the patch expects you to have a "game only" copy).

Hoping I have answered your question, I'm back to my translation !

Have a nice day.
Thank you very much!!! This helped me understand it a lot better. Godspeed on your work!

FM_Wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I hope you do the same with the Spanish localization of the game, just for the sake of having it also localized on Wii. My respects for actually doing a tranlation of this port.

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I hope you do the same with the Spanish localization of the game, just for the sake of having it also localized on Wii. My respects for actually doing a tranlation of this port.
Probably impossible for anyone who doesn't speak Spanish. This game doesn't allow for lines to be larger than they originally were unless you do some advanced hacking that's beyond Brand Newman's skill. So the English translation has to be shortened considerably for this patch. Any other language would be the same.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Good evening everyone,

I've been noticing some newcomers here, so I thought I'd give you a special treat by publishing another comparison video between my translation and the gamecube version.

Please keep in mind that the dialogs aren't necessary in order in files, meaning that even if this scene comes from the beginning of the game, much more has been translated already (like the ending, which felt weird... the English version really came in handy to understand what was going on!)

As usual, keep in mind this is no final version, so there might be some alterations, especially if beta testers happen to find the dialogs unnatural or confusing. ^_^

See you soon!

nzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It really sucks that the original dialogue can't be used, though I was wondering if Riivolution could help with that

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
It really sucks that the original dialogue can't be used, though I was wondering if Riivolution could help with that
Riivolution replaces files with others of the same name, basically patching your retail disc "on the fly".

The English dialogs are sometimes too long to be used, since they have to fit in whatever the Japanese dialogs do.

Now, that being said, we shouldn't be speaking about "original" dialogs, as the English translation took a lot of liberty (starting with the characters names), adding /removing or changing puns, but sometimes just making the sentences longer for no particular reason.

For example the English Game Cube version in my 2nd comparison video doesn't refer to "not letting a mouse pass" anymore, though I believe it is perfectly understandable in both languages.

So, while I understand people would want to go to a familiar place if they have played the game on Game Cube before, there's not so much reason for new players to be disappointed on regard of "accuracy".

Now, on the topic of "perfect English", I'm gonna rely on my beta testers for that later :)

Last edited by Brand Newman,
Reactions: wiiAdventurer

nzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just out of curiosity, how long do you think this translation will take to complete? It must have taken a while already.

Last edited by nzer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1