Checking games safety online

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Digeman, Jun 17, 2010.

Jun 17, 2010

Checking games safety online by Digeman at 8:12 AM (1,495 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys. A while back i got hit by the huge banwave microsoft launched and ever since i've been pretty much out of the loop of the 360 hackscene. So I just got a new 360 the other day and a friend of mine flashed it to the latest flash, and he told me that i should probably reburn most of my games since many of them still might not contain a specifik file or something and might not be safe to go online with. So iust i "bought" red dead recently and ran it through abgx360 and apparently it said that stealth files were okey etc. Same thing goes for assasins 2 (which i had already burned but i put the image file back to the computer just to check it again). Now all games i had burned before were checked through abgx but i still got banned, so is there something extra i have to add or check or whatnot to be sure i'm ok to go online?

Any help is really apreciated since i really don't wanna get banned from xbox again.

2. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    It doesn't matter what you do to the files, you'll never be safe to go online. It could just be that your unlucky and got caught out.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You are never "safe" but you can be sensible.

The latest firmware (ixtreme LT) changed a few things but most notable is that all games will have to use splitvid now- easy enough to add via ABGX360 (it is in the misc tab) or several of the 360 iso tools. This is probably what your friend mentions and why many games will have to be reburned.

SSv2 is suggested (the security sectors are what the hacked firmware helps emulate) but most games come with it anyway or you can just patch it in and part of the new firmware is a complete lack of drive side checks (ABGX360 will have to be used). This one is slightly more tricky on the "do you or don't you front" http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=...v_next=prev#new has more.

If you ever wave patched a disc it will most certainly have to be reburned with the proper wave.

4. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Okey i've done some reading on that link and on abgx360 info etc. and call me stupid but heck i'm still confused as shit. If i understand correctly, i have to use splitvid for every game (which is as you said just to enable on the misc options on abgx). But it's the ssv2 thing that gets me really confused. If i've gotten some of it then it has something to do with kreon rips not necesarily giving you the correct measurments or something. And that i can choose to either trust the ssv2 if it's correct via abgx but still be alerted if there's a v1 thingie. And apperently i can uncheck that option so that it does compare and see what is right and wrong and act accordingly.

Thing is many of my games i've got are games i've put back in to the computer via the already burned discs, and all of them have been checked by older versions of abgx and so on. So if i understand correctly i have to assume they might been altered in some way and uncheck the "trust ssv2" thingie right? If that's that's all then i guess i'm good to go, but there's just one more thing, the guide also explains something about how the latest abgx wont fix ange deviation or C/R data for an ssv2 without a verified ini and ss file. So....what the fök does that mean?

I know i know i'm a noob but i've tried to make sence of it all for a couple of days before posting but i'm still not getting much, any help without bashing my incompetence is aprecated. Thanks in advance guys.

5. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    As I understand it

Splitvid- you understand it as much as you are going to need for this. I have not read anything explaining why it needed to become mandatory for LT but there is no fighting it so accept it and move on is about all we can do here.

As for other questions I reckon the best way is if I cover the basic theory behind 360 DVD drive hacking.
    The 360 rather foolishly does a fair bit of disc authentication at the drive level and had a firmware that was not signed thus enabling hacked firmwares to use burned discs and present them as original media.
    It is not quite as simple as changing a few opcodes in the firmware though as MS did at least afford some more protection on top of that- running copied discs is one thing but running copied discs and remain undetected is quite another.
    To work around this protection these other protections were gathered into a database of sorts when ripping the disc and are added to the iso at known locations to the hacked firmware for it to present to the 360 mainboard when it became necessary. It had to be the iso else you would have to have a hacked firmware for the various games and that would be horrific. Part of this is the security sectors and another part of this is the c/r (challenge response) which in this case deals with angles the security sectors appear at on the disc (impossible to control with burned media and vary slightly with each read owing to the nature of lasers- if it is ever the same it is a copied iso and this is how the scene knows when a game has been sourced from p2p).

Ripping isos has the potential to be messed up* (often in the ripping protection stage) and trying to distribute a multiple gigabyte iso for the sake of a few megabytes (if that) of data is not a good idea and even better much of this data is predictable to a point leading to the ability to blindly fix it (quite useful as ABGX360 is a database people upload to and sometimes that can take a while).
    *P2P groups are notorious for this and worse hence most people suggesting you only use verified scene originated rips.

Alas MS does not stand still on these matters and things do change* so the usefulness/safety of these tools was called into question and now automated blind tools are not suggested, it is still entirely possible to patch in a known/valid set of data though hence you needing a "verified ini and ss file".

*SSv1 (kreon version) is probably good enough for most wave 1 and 2 era games (to my knowledge nothing has ever been seen to suggest otherwise) but could be wrong for later games- this would be an example of a change. SSv2 is on the other hand is more than adequate for every present ISO and most likely all the future ones as well.

re: unchecking trust SSv2. If you are already there then SSv2 is essentially data on a disc and as such is protected by the standard iso/disc level protections and redundancy (ever had a read error when grabbing data from a disc or wondered how a scratched disc did not always lose data- same idea). Of course that is not absolutely reliable and it is only a few seconds to verify it anyway so no harm in checking.

A really nice incredibly in depth guide on 360 DVD drive hacking is available here http://swat-team.org/360/dvd.html and some other good stuff here http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=2843.0 but I advise you not read it if you are already a bit hazy.

6. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Alright i've done some more reading and i think i pretty much get the picture but just wanna check with you guys to make sure i havn't misunderstood anything.

Splitvid required for all games so add that on "misc" tab.

For all games that are ssv1 and are 1-3 wave then you're pretty much still alright (still doesn't hurt to use ssv2 if you're überparanoid)
    And all games that are ssv1 but 4-6 wave then it's pretty much for the best to add ssv2, which you do in the "manullually patch" tab by checking "Patch DMI" and "Patch SS".

There is however one problem. When wanting to get the ssv2 i try going to the abgx official webpage and then to verified and select one of the numbers on "Title id", but just get redirected to xbox official webpage? [​IMG]

Aything i'm missing? And where do i get those ssv2 files?

Any help is really apreciated, thanks in advance.

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    All good as far as I can see.

It is not the titleID either but the single number to the right of where it says wave (back in the black background section). It will take you to another page where you can get the files you need.
    Do note that sometimes we see multiple copies per region (especially in Europe) so make sure your xex CRC/Media ID match up.

8. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Ah alright will do. One last thing though, when getting another crc and dmi file, some games tend to show many kinds of ssv2. I presume all of them are a ok to use as long as you've checked that the game has the same media id and crc?

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah multiple copies are fine and a sign that the idea behind abgx360 is working, pick any you like as long as they are of the same pair.

Do be careful with some of the releases from around the ban/introduction of LT though as some of those will still be SSv1.

10. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    You mean i should add ssv2 on the "bigger" games even though they might just be wave 2 or 3? (which beeing the überparanoid person i am i was already going to [​IMG] )

11. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Oh just one more thing i noticed. When i tried burning the iso and chose the 2,4 burnspeed it said i instead got x4. Now is it a must to burn the games at 2,4 speed or is it that the game reads better that way?

12. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

doesnt matter just be sure you are using verbatim DL they are the best quality... also everything your doing trying to be safe it doesnt matter we will all been banned again someday. If anyone thinks this will keep them from getting banned forever you are crazy. It might not be this year, but it will eventually happen. So it's not about will i get banned it's about when willl i get banned.

13. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Yea i know, but i rather be extra careful so i don't "prematurely" get banned. Can't believe i just used that word [​IMG]

14. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    You can use SSv2 if you want for those games, I was just saying that before it became the done thing some people still posted up SSv1 on there (probably the proper SSv1 that is SSv2 in all but name but when you have a proper SSv2 who cares).

As for burnspeed it might just be that your drive does not support 2.4x speed- low burn speeds is something of a myth really and the only real reason for doing it is if you have a bad burning drive, bad media, a badly fragmented* iso or a slow hard drive (laptops can still be 5400 or worse RPM and some externals are not much better). As long as you do not abuse it buffer under run and the fact there are usually large buffers at every stage of the burn will cover you.

*defraggler http://www.piriform.com/defraggler can sort you out here and save having to defrag the whole drive (if you are anything like most people around here the 7 odd gigs of rar files plus the space for the extraction will be the tail end of your hard drive space).