Gaming Check PSU wattage?

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to check the wattage of my PSU? I read that I was going to need to buy a new PSU if I want a new graphics card and I want to confirm this before I buy one.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, the quickest way to do that is to open your case and read on the side of your PSU
tongue.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Only reliable way to do it is to open your case and read the label on your psu. Wattage isn't the most important thing when it comes to graphics card requirement. What is more important is the value of the +12v rail amp value. Higher the better.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I have another question. I think I've decided on This card, but the only thing that bothers me is that it says it's a "PCI Express 2.0" card. this is my motherboard and it says it's PCI x16, but not 2.0. Is that...implied or something? Do I need a different card?

D

Deleted User

xakota said:
Thanks. I have another question. I think I've decided on This card, but the only thing that bothers me is that it says it's a "PCI Express 2.0" card. this is my motherboard and it says it's PCI x16, but not 2.0. Is that...implied or something? Do I need a different card?
x16 is always pci-e 2.0 so yours should be enough

and you won't need 450w, what is written is if you have many hdds and such, so that nobody says that the card didn't work with the recommended psu wattage.
Use this tool to check how much power you will need: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
and if you need a new psu, as said, get a good one with 80+, it will be more efficient and live longer.
If you have a small case a psu with caple management(modular) would be good to have more space in the case and get better temperatures

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PCIe 2.0 cards are generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x. So it shouldn't be much of an issue if your slot isn't 2.0. PCI x16 just tells the length of the slot, it doesn't state if it's 1.0 or 2.0.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ollepoll said:
x16 is always pci-e 2.0 so yours should be enough
Nope. As Edhel said, x16 is just the "length" of the slot.

2.0 has more bandwidth than 1.x. Don't worry in any case, you'll just lose a bit of performance when using it on a 1.x slot, but it'll still work.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. That says I need 345 but I just guessed on the fan because I don't know what it is and it doesn't say on the box. I think I'll go for 450 just in case and maybe I'll upgrade later, so.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question, this PSU only has one six-pin cable. Is that going to be enough for this card? I can't really tell what goes in what. Do you use the pin to connect to the PCIe and then connect the video card to the PCIe? Or do you connect the pin to the PCIe and the card? In that case do I need 2 six-pin cables? I don't even.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you look at the pictures, you can actually see the six-pin port at the back. So, to answer the question, you seen one pix-pin power connection to connect into the back of the graphics card. The CoolerMaster PSU says in the specs that it has one PCIe 6-pin power connector. That's all you need. You can see the 6-pin cable in the pictures too.

And to answer an earlier question... I think it's a safe guess that a motherboard that supports PhenomII and DDR3 will have PCIe 2.0.

EDIT: In response to:
QUOTE said:
and you won't need 450w, what is written is if you have many hdds and such, so that nobody says that the card didn't work with the recommended psu wattage.
There are more reasons to overestimate the required wattage of the computer. A PSU on 100% load is liable to unstable currents, voltage droops and subsequently system instability. It will also cut the lifespan of the PSU considerably. Most quality PSUs can actually give around 120% of the stated wattage, but it's never advisable for obvious reasons. That's why, even if the system only uses 400W (at least according to those wattage calculators), it's always recommended to use a 500-600W PSU. Plus you never know when you'll want to upgrade the graphics or add extra drives and expansion cards.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
xakota said:
Another question, this PSU only has one six-pin cable. Is that going to be enough for this card? I can't really tell what goes in what. Do you use the pin to connect to the PCIe and then connect the video card to the PCIe? Or do you connect the pin to the PCIe and the card? In that case do I need 2 six-pin cables? I don't even.
The card always has the best for it included... whether that's no power plug, 1, or 2. So you just need 1 6-pin connector on the PSU.
And Go AT LEAST 500W on the PSU. It'll live longer and could handle more/newer devices.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
smart move , save the money and go for the GTS 450 over the GTX 460 . saving up $70 !
80plus PSUs , wouldn't they be better since they are more energy efficient when compared to a normal PSU ? although it does depend on how often you use your comp . if you use it , then turn it off , no need . but if you leave your computer on a lot , and it's not being used , i'd recommend an 80plus .

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I think he's going for the CM PSU because I actually linked it for him, rather than told him to search for himself. I only picked the first PSU I came across that was above 450W and from a brand I recognise. Feel free to browse Newegg for a better PSU, keeping in mind that he wants cheap (for those that can't tell, I'm rolling my eyes at this point).

Getting an 80+ rated PSU is recommended because power efficiency is more economic (draws less power from the wall). They do not necessarily have a longer lifespan, but efficiency does mean less power is wasted, which means less heat. Less heat means happier components, which tends to mean longer lifespan. That said, lifespan of a PSU is usually more dependant on the number of times you turn it on and off, rather than the temperature it operates at ("usually", because everything affects it, but I'm just assuming a normal temperature range). Also, just because a PSU isn't rated 80+, doesn't mean it's not 79% efficient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.