Homebrew Discussion Cheatslips is stealing the cheats of GBATemp and the cheat creators are bummed

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Each content creator who feels their work is being distributed without their permission should contact [email protected] to file a DMCA complaint against 91.134.135.201 / cheatslips.com with a link to each infringing link.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, take this advice. Once again, the codes themselves are NOT, and can not, be covered as copyright under US law. By filing a DMCA, you would be doing so without due diligence and in bad faith which opens you up, however unlikely, to liability for abusing the system.

Again, I think everyone here can side with the code creators. They work hard and others are potentially profiting from their work. That does NOT mean we need knee-jerk and uninformed legal advice out there. Also, threatening to withhold codes if anyone posts them is only going to lead to the inevitable trolling with intentional misappropriation of codes for sole purpose of getting the creators to stop publishing them - and NO ONE wins in this scenario. What we need is a middle ground where codes are submitted and reviewed before publishing, with the more prolific creators given access to claim if owned. Once again, if you're going to run a site with curated information, you need to take responsibility for that curation, which the owner "appears" to want to do.

Reactions: SmokerSan

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So, please can you send me the problematic links, I will disable them?
Every file inside that folder thta contains ZiT , ZIT , patjenova would be a good start .
Im including the rar main cheat folder file

Attachments

• titles.rar
    1.8 MB · Views: 182

Iliak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cheatslips.com
XP
Country
United States
Again, I think everyone here can side with the code creators. They work hard and others are potentially profiting from their work. That does NOT mean we need knee-jerk and uninformed legal advice out there. Also, threatening to withhold codes if anyone posts them is only going to lead to the inevitable trolling with intentional misappropriation of codes for sole purpose of getting the creators to stop publishing them - and NO ONE wins in this scenario. What we need is a middle ground where codes are submitted and reviewed before publishing, with the more prolific creators given access to claim if owned. Once again, if you're going to run a site with curated information, you need to take responsibility for that curation, which the owner "appears" to want to do.

I agree with this and it's one of the options I suggested (creators register on the site and post themself their work).
Dunno if it's a good idea or not, I'm just waiting feedback about this.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: matias3ds

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, please can you send me the problematic links, I will disable them?
i have emailed you regarding this, sorry but im not going through your website to report.

ive stated names which have not given permission, i think the site can also be tidied up a little, multiple users posting the same codes for the same game.

the idea is good, but subscriptions is not good, maybe put a do or the odd advert or so

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i have emailed you regarding this, sorry but im not going through your website to report.

ive stated names which have not given permission, i think the site can also be tidied up a little, multiple users posting the same codes for the same game.

the idea is good, but subscriptions is not good, maybe put a do or the odd advert or so

Maybe turn on notifcations so posts have to be approved before it runs online, make the credits a requirement as users will simply leave that field blank in order to steal and post the codes.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do NOT, under any circumstances, take this advice. Once again, the codes themselves are NOT, and can not, be covered as copyright under US law. By filing a DMCA, you would be doing so without due diligence and in bad faith which opens you up, however unlikely, to liability for abusing the system.

You are incorrect. Computer code is copyrightable. As is modification of computer code.

Reactions: matias3ds

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Too much cases to handle manually. I'll add an option on cheat pages to request deactivation of access, it will be a better way to handle the situation.
Maybe it will be easier for you to erase your complete database , becuase 99% of the cheats had been made in and posted in gbatemp.
And start from 0 with original cheats created for your web , if you havent realized theres no new cheat codes posted in you web since patjenova and Zit stop making and posting their cheats in gbatemp , stop charing for anything at all , you are making money from a lot of cheat code makers . Delete your web its a shame

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are incorrect. Computer code is copyrightable. As is modification of computer code.
Computer code is, yes, however I already covered this as a process execution or action. Cheat codes themselves are (as a general rule in this context), in effect, no different than equations - at least in a legal sense. This is a primary reason why cheat code makers encrypted their codes back in the day. While the codes themselves weren't covered (and they knew it), the encryption/obfuscation used could be as a unique transformation. There's no original aspect beyond potentially the method. An automated tool could be covered, for example, but not necessarily the output, unless the output could be demonstrably determined as having been arrived at by using said tool, and even then, you'd have a hill to climb if the output itself was raw.

The long and short of it is, these cheat codes, in this context, are simply NOT copyrightable material and you'd be hard-pressed to make a good faith claim that they are.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
move on, get over it, nothing can be done, you aren't going to stop thieves from stealing your cheat codes. Sounds mean but its the truth, don't let it bother you instead look at is wow, got something valuable enough to be taken and pat yourself on the back

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Computer code is, yes, however I already covered this as a process execution or action. Cheat codes themselves are (as a general rule in this context), in effect, no different than equations - at least in a legal sense. This is a primary reason why cheat code makers encrypted their codes back in the day. While the codes themselves weren't covered (and they knew it), the encryption/obfuscation used could be as a unique transformation. There's no original aspect beyond potentially the method. An automated tool could be covered, for example, but not necessarily the output, unless the output could be demonstrably determined as having been arrived at by using said tool, and even then, you'd have a hill to climb if the output itself was raw.

The long and short of it is, these cheat codes, in this context, are simply NOT copyrightable material and you'd be hard-pressed to make a good faith claim that they are.

There is so much wrong with your post. I would ask for a citation, but I know you are unable to cite any legal authority for that. I will just say, the cheat codes are literally virtual machine code. And often what is being replaces are actual assembly instructions with new assembly instructions the cheat author wrote. To argue it is not code is just lunacy. Even if it is not code (it is), nearly all forms of artistic expression are copyrightable. It gets more murky with variable editing, however the actual code that applies it (the cheat code) is definitely copyrightable.

Last edited by blawar,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is so much wrong with your post. I would ask for a citation, but I know you are unable to cite any legal authority for that. I will just say, the cheat codes are literally virtual machine code. And often what is being replaces are actual assembly instructions with new assembly instructions the cheat author wrote. To argue it is not code is just lunacy. Even if it is not code (it is), nearly all forms of artistic expression are copyrightable. It gets more murky with variable editing, however the actual code that applies it (the cheat code) is definitely copyrightable.
I did specify "as a general rule" in this context. I'm certain there's some code you may be able to present an argument for depending on complexity and original methodology. But, would it be your assertion, that these codes below are copyrightable as unique works and meet the threshold of originality (in the legal definition of phrase). If that's the case, I'd love to hear why. It's a bit of a silly discussion anyway considering the penalties for DMCA abuse, in practice, are effectively toothless and a bad faith argument is hard to substantiate. Folks are free to do as they like, but I certainly wouldn't recommend sending DMCA notices out.

Code:
[MM1 Infinite Health]
400e0000 00000000 0000006a
610f01e0 00000000 0000001c

[MM1 Infinite Lifes]
400e0000 00000000 000000a6
610f01e0 00000000 0000001c

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

GatoFiestero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Well, I think one option is for Cheatslips to put a link to GBATemp (to the cheats thread) on your site in a visible place.
Cheatslips is a good site to download cheats. You can make some improvements but the site does its job, which is to make life easier for users who want to find and download cheats as quickly as possible.

The point is that it is very likely that more than 90% of the cheats come from GBATemp (I invite you to make comparison and origin tests yourself so that you can check it).

I think you could put a section on Cheatslips and list the main cheat makers. Believe me, there are not many.
And precisely, beyond all this, here is a topic that really worries me: there are very few creators of cheats. And if those who are start to piss off something like this it would be fatal.

So I also invite you to learn how to create cheats. I think that some cheat creation contest could also be promoted or something, I don't know, something for people to cheer on. I'm already learning on my own and I must say ... not just anyone can do them. Certain basic notions are needed. But you don't have to be a software engineer to do them either.

If a good amount of people learned perhaps there would not be so much problem. But for the moment, since the main cheat makers are almost all from this website, any external website should record this.

Trust me that the vast majority of users do not give a shit who the hell made the cheats, it is not that the Cheatslips site is going to lose visits, so in the end it is an advantage for all.

Last edited by GatoFiestero,

livinitwarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a suggestion, don't know if this is feasible, but what if Cheat Creators only released them to Homlet, or whomever runs the ongoing file that is updated in the AIO app? That way there's one, unified way for them to have them distributed, it makes it more annoying to pick through and upload thru the files elsewhere, everyone still gets cheats, and the cheat creators can have them coded so they get the credit?

The cheat request thread could still be used for specifics, and while there might be a slight delay in the database being updated, everyone would be happy?

W0NDERwaffle3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If it were easier to get the cheats you wanted from the cheat thread this wouldn’t be an issue. Someone should either make a website and properly credit them and whatnot or try to convince cheatslips to restore credit to the original creators. Looking through that thread for cheats is a hassle, and for the meantime cheatslips is so much more convenient

Reactions: M34TH34D

shinraphen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt want to get involved in this cheat stealing site debacle, but as a cheat maker who shares cheats for free, I can see why this is an issue.

I think you make a solid point, I dont make cheats so other people can get paid. (Even if its only a little.) So yes cheat makers are being forced to either charge for their cheats to prevent others from profiting from them, or just not sharing them altogether.

Personally, Im fine either way. I still can make cheats when I need them, and I never was going to charge for them so really all this drama only means one less step for me, but I can see why a good chunk of the community is upset. (Honestly, the overwhelming majority.) Ive always been disgusted with the dichotomy the cheat community devolved into. Its 1% makers and 99% beggars of course most people would be upset when the people who share cheats for free are less motivated to do so.

Honestly, I dont know how you could prevent stuff like this. This site is literally the first site you find when you google "switch sxos cheats." If somebody is looking for free cheats, they are going to find them well before some noname website, so I feel this issue is mostly one of principle, but dont get me wrong, it doesnt sting any less.

Imho, I think the community owes it to themselves to become a little less lazy. This is a product of what we have devolved into. Instead of talking about the process we just use forums as a dumping ground for (sometimes obnoxious) requests, and our final products. If more people learned there would be less demand for cheats. Unfortunately, with a rising demand for cheats, its just creating an incentive for makers to not only not share cheats but not teach those who ultimately would end up paying them for their cheats.

I will say that I will always enjoy making cheats, talking with people who make cheats, helping people make cheats, and teaching those who want to learn so I have no reason to leave the community but I think Im going to be a little more careful what I post publicly. Any cheat makers that want any help, want to talk, or share feel free to PM me, everybody else, good luck.
How can I dm you ? I'm having trouble making cheats for star renegades, darkest dungeon, fell seal

shinraphen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt want to get involved in this cheat stealing site debacle, but as a cheat maker who shares cheats for free, I can see why this is an issue.

I think you make a solid point, I dont make cheats so other people can get paid. (Even if its only a little.) So yes cheat makers are being forced to either charge for their cheats to prevent others from profiting from them, or just not sharing them altogether.

Personally, Im fine either way. I still can make cheats when I need them, and I never was going to charge for them so really all this drama only means one less step for me, but I can see why a good chunk of the community is upset. (Honestly, the overwhelming majority.) Ive always been disgusted with the dichotomy the cheat community devolved into. Its 1% makers and 99% beggars of course most people would be upset when the people who share cheats for free are less motivated to do so.

Honestly, I dont know how you could prevent stuff like this. This site is literally the first site you find when you google "switch sxos cheats." If somebody is looking for free cheats, they are going to find them well before some noname website, so I feel this issue is mostly one of principle, but dont get me wrong, it doesnt sting any less.

Imho, I think the community owes it to themselves to become a little less lazy. This is a product of what we have devolved into. Instead of talking about the process we just use forums as a dumping ground for (sometimes obnoxious) requests, and our final products. If more people learned there would be less demand for cheats. Unfortunately, with a rising demand for cheats, its just creating an incentive for makers to not only not share cheats but not teach those who ultimately would end up paying them for their cheats.

I will say that I will always enjoy making cheats, talking with people who make cheats, helping people make cheats, and teaching those who want to learn so I have no reason to leave the community but I think Im going to be a little more careful what I post publicly. Any cheat makers that want any help, want to talk, or share feel free to PM me, everybody else, good luck.
How can I dm you ? I'm having issues with star renegades, darkest dungeon and fell seal

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As a mere user I realize that making cheat requires time & work and codes being copied without due credit is seriously wrong.

For people who say "pirates being pirated lol" blah blah, it's not the same thing at all. People publishing NSP games never claim they're the ones who made the game.

I hope this will get sorted out in a satisfactory way. Maybe creating a seperate section/website with easy-to-access cheats, to counter cheatlips, would be nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still waiting on my damn 1.5tb card
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I could probably add more PS1 games hmmm
    Ken I seen some 2TB cards on Amazon for like 30 bucks you should order one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By the time my 1.5 card arrives they'll have 2tb sd
    The company was iScam or something
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sold by xdjfwhwjehsbau 80% feedback?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or jeyjong inc
    I watched a YouTube video the guy bought a couple of them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just buy used flash storage run drill disk for fun
    They show up as 2TB in windows but really like 128GBs just reporting the space wrong lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fbi open up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember my high-school teacher letting me break old floppy was fun I was like what's the students name ma'am
    Lol I remember in tech school the teacher challenged me to get into his system in class I used Hirens and while he was making a speech about how hacking was not like the movies I told him "I'm in" lol he turned around in absolute shock
    +1
    He thought he had like 20-30 minutes it took me a reboot and deleting the SAM file a reboot and that is it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Should've said hack into the schools internet
    I miss when security was an absolute joke lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah now we gotta actually ask people for wifi passwords
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    frfr
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Lol I've done that. Got around the school's WiFi.
    +1
    You can still crack WiFi it just is more work than it used to be lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Madden 04 is finally worth $2
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Madden 04 is finally worth $2 +1