Cheats on R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Swordmyth, Mar 8, 2007.

Mar 8, 2007

Cheats on R4 by Swordmyth at 10:06 AM (1,613 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Swordmyth
    OP

Banned Swordmyth Banned

United States
    I want to use cheats on NDS games with R4 i want to know what will I need to buy to be able to use cheats on roms such as the action replay does with the real games.

What slot 2 /or whatever will help me do this?

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    you cannot use a real action replay on the R4DS it just won't work, to use cheats on the R4DS you got to have a slot 2 device and it has to be a particular one too, please refer to the tutorial on the R4DS forums located here.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Dipstar should work with any slot 1 cart, as long as you also have a GBA flashcart that allows you to load a single rom without a menu or loader.

4. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

I couldnt get this to work. I try with lost in blue and I just get two white screen when loading the game

5. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    then you are screwed, you have a clone slot 2 flash cart like i have or you just have a incompatible slot 2 device, bad luck, i would recommend you stop now before you waste your time any further, i got the same white screens with every single game, nothing worked, the only thing that works for me is direct patching of the rom, but that's still crap i really wish i could use my own action replay DS on my R4DS [​IMG]

6. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

Darn... that sucks. Just when I thought I could make use of my old gba flash cart. I was pretty happy when dipstar booted up. I thought wow, now that chick in the cave wouldnt go dying on me when Im out far away in lost in blue.

7. Destructobot

United States
    Read MY post again, I was specifying what type of slot 2 cart is needed. Any GBA flash cart that has no menu and can hold a single rom without a loader will work.

I know what I am talking about because I have read the documentation, and successfully used dipstar with the M3 Simply & Flash2Advance, and also the G6 Lite by itself. (The G6 has a menu/loader so you cannot use it to run dipstar with a slot 1 cart)

Simplified (not very detailed) instructions on using dipstar with a slot 1 cart & GBA cart
    How to use dipstar on the G6

8. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    dipstar does not work for everyone so don't go boasting that it works for you when it clearly does not work for me or the other poster.

9. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    i really hope that someone makes a a simple cheat homebrew for slot 1 flash carts on the DS soon [​IMG]

10. Destructobot

United States
    @tetsuya: Lost in Blue gives me white screens with dipstar 3.33, but it starts up properly with dipstar 5.12FF. I can't get any of the codes to work though. I think it needs a master code, and I can't find one.

@jalaneme: You sure made it sound like it worked for you in this thread.

Saying you know what you're talking about because you can't get something to work makes no sense. The logical assumption is that you were either trying to use a game that doesn't work with dipstar(or the version of dipstar that you were using), or it was just user error.

Between the spotty compatibility, the different versions, and the horrendous documentation, many people have quite a bit of trouble getting dipstar to work. This does not mean it that doesn't work.

11. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    dipstar works fine for me, im using a R4 and a ez flash 1, and its probably the codes some of them dont work, try another game and it will probably work.

12. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    what a load of bullshit, don't you think i have tried every version of dipstar already? don't you think i made sure that the dam file was patched with m3dip already? why of course! you presume i am dumb just because you can't get it in your thick skull that it doesn't work for everybody, just because you think it works for you! stop wasting my time and stop posting complete crap in this topic.

that was BEFORE i had problems with dipstar! if you scroll down near the end of the topic and click on the link i posted from the R4 forums i mentioned that i was unable to get the codes working and even posted ways on how to get ips patches working on DS games! the homebrew program only ever worked with one game, and that was resident evil DS, the game was unpatched, trying to patch games just loads the two white screens, so that is when all the trouble started, i tried different types of converted codes from various sources (for example action replay to dipstar or user posted dipstar codes posted on forums or websites), different versions of dipstar, codes with/without M codes patched/unpatched games, i checked the codes multiple times to make sure they were entered properly and they all didn't work, i PMed even the creator of dipstar and posted in the big topic at gba dev forums for advice and they said to me that the slot 2 device that i have will not work with dipstar full stop so don't try to tell me that i ain't done nothing, don't try to tell me that it's my fault the dam codes ain't working! user error, whatever!

13. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yes it works fine for you because you are using s EZ flash, one of the cards supported by dipstar! i have a EZF advance II cart which is a clone of EZ flash!.

14. Destructobot

United States
    I never said it should work with your hardware, because until the post after this lovely tirade you never specified what hardware you were using. You didn't say you tried this and that, you just said you couldn't get it to work.

You told a guy he couldn't use dipstar without even asking what GBA cart he was using. If you've done as much research as you claim, then surely you know that many people get white screens on games and hardware that are compatible with dipstar before they figure out how it actually works.

You said something about "cloned gba flash carts" without saying what you meant by that, or giving a list, or even an example of a cart that didn't work. Instead you posted a qoute from the readme that said nothing at all to indicate that cloned carts don't work. In fact, it pretty much said the same thing I did about which GBA carts will work.

You have generally failed to communicate your meaning, but you have not failed to communicate your anger, or your contempt for those who disagree with you.

Clearly, I'm an idiot for doubting you. For that, I apologize. I will not waste any more of your valuable time.