Cheat Code Packs For Wii Emulators

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by mightymo77, Oct 10, 2011.

Oct 10, 2011
  1. mightymo77
    OP

Newcomer mightymo77 Advanced Member

United States
    The cheats used in SNES9x GX, FCE Ultra GX, ect are mine, from my Nestopia and BSNES cheat code packs available on my site, Mighty Mo's World. The cheat packs were packed into the emulators in 2010. Since then I have added tons of fantastic codes, and updated lots of descriptions. I have messaged Tantric, who ported the emulators to the wii, to update to my newest cheat packs but have not heard back. Can someone get ahold of him to do this, or how can it be done?

2. Tantric

Member Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hello! I just posted them, I didn't do the preparation. It looks like they would need to be converted to the proper format before I can post an updated collection. giantpune did this the last time.

3. mightymo77
    OP

United States
    What's up Tantric. Oh ok, you just posted them. Can you contact giantpune to update them all?

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    yes, i was the one that did the porting of them.
    however, i wrote a PC program specifically for that purpose. since then, i have shuffled around a lot of files, had hard drives die, and other stuff like that. somewhere in the chaos, i think i lost the program(s) i used to port the codes.

EDIT:
    i was able to find some parts of the programs i used. though, it really isnt rocket science in converting the 2 formats back and forth.

this is the SNES one
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. mightymo77
    OP

United States
    That's awesome giantpune. I keep the pack updated pretty well, try to add all the new cheats (that are any good). I'm going to try and keep a FCEux .cht file pack up-to-date, and also remove the "[GGC]" tags.

6. giantpune

United States
    the "[GGC]" tag is added to each code that is GameGenie Converted. the way game genie worked, it substituted values in RAM whenever they were read by the game, often comparing the value in RAM before substituting a different value. I read on one of the support pages for FCEU that these type of cheats take longer to apply or are more expensive for the emulator to perform than a simple "RAM overwrite" code. ithe page warned about performance issues when using these type of codes. because of this, I had my tool automatically add the tag to the end of any converted game genie codes so you can tell quickly which ones it is, and possibly select a different, non-gamegenie code in its place.

7. mightymo77
    OP

United States
    I see. Well I am working on making something to keep the FCEU cheats up to date. Please feel free to grab my packs and update the wii emulators if you want/can/will/have any desire. SNES9x needs to be updated badly.

8. giantpune

United States
    i think the biggest issue with converting the SNES pack is the limit of characters allowed for the description. you would almost have to do it on a per-game basis to convert the longer descriptions used in your code pack to fit in the snes9x .cht structure. writing a tool to automate that would be a big pain in the butt.

it looks like the tool that was used to convert the snes pack that tantric already has on the snes9xgx googlecode site really halfassed the job. it just truncated the descriptions at the maximum amount of characters. so you get partial words and sentence fragments that dont mean anything.
    http://pastie.org/pastes/2692058/text

9. mightymo77
    OP

United States
    I gotcha. But even if the descriptions are cut off, most of the descriptions can be properly read. Well about 60% I would say. Still though, since the current code pack has been implemented, I have added tons of great codes. Like "multi-jump", invincibility, ect, stuff with short descriptions.