Cheapest way to play Import PS2 games?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Gaisuto, Aug 3, 2006.

Aug 3, 2006
  1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I have the fat PS2. I'm looking at things on how to play imported games and they're all confusing. What's the cheapest and easiest way to get imports to work. What are the things I need?

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    You could get a cheap modchip for under $20 or a bootdisc for under $30.

EDIT: If you plan on playing PAL games then your TV might be a problem.

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I want Narultimate Hero 3. Japanese.

Also, while cheap is nice, I prefer easiest to set up. Modchips scare me.

4. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    The boot disc is really easy to use, though you will need another tool so that the PS2 doesn't restart when you eject the disc though you could replace the top with one with a lid.

5. bryehn

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    spend $30 on Swap Magic, and download the imports. Those import PS2 games are generally like $65 USD plus shipping.

plus you can use it to force PAL games into NTSC mode.

6. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    If you have an old phat ps2 then look into how to make a memory card exploit at ps2hd.com, you should find everything there. Seriously, after playing games from hdd you'll never want to burn games again. It's the only way to go man, fuck dvds. You might already have a spare hardrive you can use aswell, then it wont cost you a thing [​IMG]

7. bryehn

Canada
    i have a slimline ps2, with a USB HDD. The compatibility isn't hugely great, but alot of games do run fine. I played through Dragon Quest 8, Suikoden 5, Atelier Iris 1 & 2, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja, etc on it with no hassles except slightly longer load times.

...anyways yeah, if you can...set yourself up with an HDD solution and save that feeble laser

8. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Memory Card Exploit...and you can play full games off of it? What the hell? [​IMG]

What is everything I need for that Swap Magic? It seems like the easiest thing to do. And I do have an HD Loader, but my 80Gig that I used suddenly stopped working.

And also, how does Burning PS2 games work? Mainly dual layered ones. Do they still work?

9. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    For the swap magic you need the swap magic discs (1 CD and 1 DVD) and the tray tool. They are usually sold as a bundle.

This won't work for dual layer DVDs (unless they have updated it since I was looking at it).

10. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    The main thing I need to know is if Naruto: Narultimate Ninja 3 is Dual Layered or not. This is the main reason I'm doing this.

11. bryehn

Canada
    Naruto 3 is a regular DVD5. God of War, Xenosaga I and GT4 are the only Dual-Layered games I've come accross. For burning, I just use DVD Decrypter. My PS2 reads both - and + too, so I'm pleased with that.

12. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I could of sworn the GTA games were DVD9...

13. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    GTA3 couldn't of possibly been DVD9, I don't think the technology was out then (or if it was, it wasn't cheap [​IMG])

14. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    None of the GTA games are DVD9, like bryehn said there are only a few (and DVD5 rips of each are easily available).

Anywho Gaisuto you have 4 ways to go:

- Modchip.
    - Swap Magic.
    - HD Loader/Advance/Extreme
    - Memory Card Exploit.

- A Modchip is self explanatory, they're cheap to buy but of course not so easy to install unless your pretty skilled at soldering. There IS an excellent solderless PS2 modchip for the bulky PS2s, BUT it is expensive; around $75 but that's probably a tad less than finding someone locally to install a wired one for you. Too bad I can't find anywhere with it in stock though it might be worth a google 'cos if you have the money for that bit extra I would really recommend a modchip, especially if you will be using the machine a lot.

- Swap Magic is probably what I'll recommend to you though, it's simply 2 pressed discs (1 for DVD and one for CD games) that you can boot up and replace with a copied game then play. It's as easy as that. You will need a slide card so you can replace the disc with the backup without pressing the eject button on the PS2. A slide card and set of swap magic discs will cost you around $30. If you don't get a slide card with your swap magic discs you can make the card yourself from an old credit card or buy one for like a couple of $.
    An alternative to using a slide card is to replace the top part of the PS2 shell with a new one that contains a lid like say a PS1, I personally wouldn't bother with it as the lid will cost you $25+ shipped alone and if you're spending that sort of money you might as well be looking at modchips lol.
    The main downside to swap magic is that compatibility is a tad iffy. 99% of games will play without problems but there are a few that won't. There are fixes on www.swapmagicfix.com for those games that won't work, which in many cases just involve swapping with a generic self burnt bootdisc prior to swaping for the backup game.
    Official site: http://www.swapmagic3.com/

- HD Loader/Advance/Extreme - Basically these are all pressed discs like swap magic, but instead allow you to run games from a hard drive as opposed to discs. In addition to the discs you will also need a hard drive obviously; either an external USB or better an internal 3.5" drive and a PS2 network adaptor. The disc will cost about $30, then you have the cost of the network adaptor if you want to use an internal drive ($20 by the looks of ebay) and then the cost of a hard drive itself.
    As you can see it's not really a cheap solution, so yeah swap magic seems your best bet. =)
    Playing your games from a HD has the benefit of faster loading times in game, however is is kinda offset by the long loading time when you first boot up the game. Also compatibility is pretty dodgy; a LOT worse than sawp magic. Most games are fine but there are a few that won't play from a HD or give errors/glitches when trying to play them. Oh and blank DVD/CDs are much cheaper than hard drives BTW; it's much more cost effective to store your games on discs than a hard drive.

- Memory card exploit. Basically there's a flaw in the PS2 that allows code (such as swap magic or a HD loading program, and even emulators and basically any homebrew) to be executed from the memory card by booting up a PS1 game; saving you $30 from buying the actual discs. You need to have a friend with a modded PS2 or something like an action replay max to be able to put the files onto the memory card in the first place however. If you already have one of those then it's the cheapest way of doing things because all you will need is a PS2 memory card, original PS1 and PS2 game, and a slide card. The disadvantage of this method is that it's the most time consuming to boot up a game (boot up PS1 game, swap for original PS2 game, then swap for backup; 3 steps. Whereas Swap Magic is only a 2 step job) but as I said if you have the stuff lying around then it is the cheapest option.

So in short I say go with Swap Magic; it'll only cost you about $30.

[​IMG]

15. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Okay...the Swap Magic + Tool is what I'll go with. Best place to get a bundle of it?

16. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    No idea lol, but the swap magic site has a list of places you can order from:

http://www.swapmagic3.com/Swap_Magic_Where_To_Buy.asp

Console Source seem like a good bet for you and they're quite cheap at $25, though I've had no experience with them myself; might be worth posting a thread asking if anyone has ordered from them before and what their experience was like.

[​IMG]

Edit - Good find legendofphil. ^^

Edit 2 - I see they are selling swapmagic + flip top lid for only $25 as well, that's a great price! For the extra few bucks I'd recommend you go with a flip top, but either solution gets the job done. =)
    Just make sure you check what version PS2 you have if you do decide to get a flip top lid though as different versions need different lids.

[​IMG]

17. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    Divineo.cn has it for $22 + $5 P&P (link)

18. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Sorry for bringing this topic back from the dead, but I'm trying to install this thing on a different PS2.

When installing the alternate top the first time, I was doing it on an already broken PS2, in the sense I didn't need to unscrew anything, I just snapped it on.

This time though the thing is still intact, and I can not find a guide on what to do properly. I unscrewed the obvious screw under the CD Tray, but I'm not sure what to do next. There seems to be a tiny screw behind the PS Logo on the thing, but I can't get to it. The first PS2 that was broken had that part completly missing, so I dunno what to do with this one.

19. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    http://www.swapmagic3.com/Swap_Magic_Feature.htm

Have a look at the guide, Im sure it will show you where to locate the screws (under rubber feet and little squares). From the looks of it, you dont need to worry about the PS logo at all.

20. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    get a ps2 network card with Harddrive + HD Advance CD. you can able play and save game on the Harddrive.