Cheapest solution to go online with the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Extreme Coder, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    So I decided to get my DS online, after waiting so long. I'm a noob in W-Fi, so please bear with me..
    So far from what I've gathered, you either need a Wi-Fi router, or a USB dongle. I'm trying to go with cheaper, so I think router is out of the question.
    What I want to know though, is, would any normal USB Wi-Fi dongle work? Or do I need special ones made for this purpose, like the Nintendo one, or like the ones on DealExtreme?
    My credit card company has stopped my credit card for 3 months, so I want something to buy locally(such as a normal USB dongle)..

Thanks!

2. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I don't think Nintendo sells the USB dongle anymore, but you could try out the WiFi MAX from Datel. I saw a few of those being sold at a few stores.

3. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    Yeah, but you're in the USA, you can get practically anything locally :/

4. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    You don't have to purchase the official dongle. A third-party one might work, but it would be harder to set up. It is not guaranteed to work, though most likely it will.
    Considering your situation though, just go ahead and buy a third-party adapter.

5. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Yes, any dongle will do.

6. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    And by any, you mean ANY? Or just the ones that work with WifiMe? (the ones with the RT2500 chipset)?

Also, would PCI Wi-Fi cards work?

7. mastermanna123

Member mastermanna123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The USB things dont work for me.
    You need to have your computer turned on, and its usually a pain in the ass to set up. I got a wireless router instead. It is a lot more worth it, than a USB dongle.

But i got my wireless router at a sale from an electonics store for about $40. Its a netgear one.

How about this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1188560187743

seems cheap to me, adn worth the price considering the dificult USB set up (IMO the USB setup was hard, i got the datel one, adn ended up returning it.), and use it anytime, adn dont need to keep your computer on.

8. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Anything that allows your PC to 'access' (for want of a better word) WiFi, will work ... it's just a matter of setting it up ... some will be harder than others.

9. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I see..
    And are there guides out there to help in this setting up?
    Thanks!

@mastermanna123:
    If that router was available here, at that price, I would have got it. But I'm in Egypt, cheapest router here is atleast 3x that price :/

10. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Yes, there are many guides ... easily found with AltaVista or Google.

11. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    Of course I tried searching, I only found guides for the RT2500 cards :/

12. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you get a router try www.portforward.com for info on setting up various features. also just search the brand router you buy and you will find a ton of guides to set it up for wifi. the nds usb adaptore and the wifi max are junk in my opinion. i have never seen one in person that worked 100% of the time or installed easily. they are a pain to set up and when you finally search forums for a month to get your answers the thing drops the signal all the time.

for your information the nds requires:

802.11B (G and N do not work)
    Channel 1, 6 or 11
    SSID set to public broadcast
    WEP 64/128bit encryption (WPA, etc does not work)

range enhancing features (like Netgear's RangeMax feature) turned off. they sometimes cause issues with signal dropping as they are designed for G and N networks.

Nintendo recommends that you change the SSID from the defult one that ships with the router. this is because it grabs the wifi session based on SSID. if two or more routers in the area have the same SSID it can confuse the nds. You do not need to forward any ports or use any port triggering to get the nds online.

goodluck,
    -aw

13. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan

be carefull with best buy [​IMG] .com. they are famous for riping people off and overcharging their customers. i prefer play.com [​IMG]

14. RaiDesu

Member RaiDesu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not really. I buy from Best Buy (given, the local store) and I get fair prices, better than the competition and I'm also in the rewards program and I get money back from purchases.

Although, I think a router is the cheapest solution in the long run. It'll work with all your computers, games and WiFi Enabled Handhelds (Ex. iPhone, Windows Mobile...etc).