Gaming Cheapest PSP Slim in the US?

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
My Uncle is coming over from Seattle to London in a few weeks time. I've been considering getting a PSP ever since Crisis Core came out so this seems like a perfect opportunity.

Just a few questions,

Firstly, where is the cheapest place that will deliver to his house in Seattle?

Are all PSPs so far compatible with custom firmware (i.e. Pandoras Battery works for all of them)

The 8GB Memory Stick and Pandoras Battery offer on DealExtreme . . . Any good?

Thanks in Advance.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
1. I'd buy it from an actual store to save shipping, but idk, I never buy anything expensive online.
2. Yes
3. No. The MemoryStick is slow, fake, and iirc can't be used as a MMS, so just get a Pandora's Battery from there and ask your uncle to buy a 4GB MS, or a small one and a 8GB.

Hope you enjoy your PSP.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cheapest possible way (and I've done this) is to find a drop shipper on eBay. I got my Piano Black Slim for $170, shipping included
biggrin.gif
And that means I saved money on taxes too. Their auctions are usually BINs and end even when there's enough time left.

Gagarin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In August you can get a nice deal.
Blue Maden Edition PSP, Maden 09 game, some NFL movie, coupon for BEAT game download, and 1 GB memory stick. Total price - $199.

Enjoying PSP world - priceless
smile.gif

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
While I understand a local store like Currys would be genuine, their prices are extortionate (as most UK retailers seem to be). I understand that the stick is likely to be fake, but some people on DX in the comments have said it works fine...?

@Dio: What do you mean by a 'drop shipper'?

Gagarin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.::5pYd3r::. said:
layzieyez said:
Since I'm in the navy, I just bought mine from the navy exchange. $169 brand new piano black. tax free.
You have got to be kidding me! Thats cheaper than buying a new DS lite!
ohmy.gif

Hey .::5pYd3r::., I think that Dingo is eating your baby now...
smile.gif

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just get a broken psp off ebay and fix it up. You'll save a lot of money doing it that way.

My PSP I got for free, but it had a broken screen, broken power board, and broken analogue stick. A screen costs between $35 and $50, power boards are like $2-$3 (same with analogue sticks). Overall, parts are very inexpensive and it's alot cheaper than buying a brand new one.

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
m3rox said:
I'd just get a broken psp off ebay and fix it up. You'll save a lot of money doing it that way.

My PSP I got for free, but it had a broken screen, broken power board, and broken analogue stick. A screen costs between $35 and $50, power boards are like $2-$3 (same with analogue sticks). Overall, parts are very inexpensive and it's alot cheaper than buying a brand new one.

I thought about that but I've never undertaken a project like this and have no idea how good I am at fixing stuff.. rather not take the risk
wink.gif

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Xeijin said:
The 8GB Memory Stick and Pandoras Battery offer on DealExtreme . . . Any good?

Thanks in Advance.

i bought those a couple weeks ago

the pandora battery works as it's supposed to, and I'm using the 8gb card all the time

plays God of War just fine, as well as all the other games i've thrown at it

I did NOT use it for the magic memstick tho, so I'm not sure how well it would work for that. (i used a 4gb sandisk one for that)

I see a lot of people whining that the DX sticks are not as fast as the fastest ones out there, yet no one seems to actually know what the MINIMUM REQUIRED speed is

all I know is the one I got is fast enough~

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't take a chance on a fake memory stick, but everyone's different. If you are willing to take the chance, go for it, you'll save a lot of money.

I'm shocked to hear that Tikker's 8 gig fake has no slowdowns, that's amazing.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
solange82200 said:
I'm shocked to hear that Tikker's 8 gig fake has no slowdowns, that's amazing.

i was pretty happy to find that too

I think in a lot of ways it's a lot like the DS scene, where way back in the day people had issues with non-japanese kingston microSD cards, but it hasn't been an issue for a long time, but people still freak out about it

i dunno

I've asked around a lot and no one seems to know what the actual minimum benchmark is for smooth gameplay, everyone is just concerned with FASTER FASTER FASTER

which is great, but possibly not necessary at all

who knows, maybe 3 months down the road my fake 8gb melts into a mound of goo

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a 2gb + pandora's battery from DX and modded my PSP with it. the fake 2gb is slow as hell writing to it, but it doesn't slow down at all. i now use a genuine 8gb sandisk, which is worth the extra speed and space.

i wouldn't get more than a 2gb memory stick if it's a fake one. a lot of them misreport the space, so even if it says 4gb, it may only be able to hold 2gb. anything over the 2gb mark will corrupt the card. at least, that's been my experience. YMMV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning