The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Newegg.com is a good place to buy them, thats where I got mine. You can get them for about 10-20$ there and thats about the cheapest you will get. I suggest you don't get the discount ones anywhere else, as with anything, you get what you pay for. The cheap MicroSD cards tend to freeze games/homebrew as well as cause a lot of slowdowns and glitches. Make sure you get a Kingston MicroSD made in Japan, they seem to have the best compatibility for games.

Also stay away from MicroSDHC cards (If your flashcart supports them), Yes they can hold more, but they cut your play time in half. They draw about double the amount of energy from the battery then a normal MicroSD card. So instead of about 6 hours of play time from the battery, you'll get around three. Its actually better to get a couple MicroSD cards.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Narin said:
Newegg.com is a good place to buy them, thats where I got mine. You can get them for about 10-20$ there and thats about the cheapest you will get. I suggest you don't get the discount ones anywhere else, as with anything, you get what you pay for. The cheap MicroSD cards tend to freeze games/homebrew as well as cause a lot of slowdowns and glitches. Make sure you get a Kingston MicroSD, preferably 2 gigabytes.

Also stay away from MicroSDHC cards (If your flashcart supports them), Yes they can hold more, but they cut your play time in half. They draw about double the amount of energy from the battery then a normal MicroSD card. So instead of about 6 hours of play time from the battery, you'll get around three. Its actually better to get a couple MicroSD cards.
Proof?

I'm using a Micro sdhc card, and yes, it's true that it uses more power, but it doesn't cut it by half. It's about 30-60 minute less then you would have with an ordinary Micro SD.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
Proof?

I'm using a Micro sdhc card, and yes, it's true that it uses more power, but it doesn't cut it by half. It's about 30-60 minute less then you would have with an ordinary Micro SD.
First hand experiences of me testing out MicroSDHC cards in various devices including the Nintendo DS as well as testimonies from my friends and those I encounter online. Not only that, but just reading the MicroSDHC spec verifies this claim. It does offer a higher capacity at the cost of a higher power consumption.

Also as I stated above, I said only certain MicroSDHC cards cut the battery usage in half. The higher the memory capacity of the MicroSDHC card, the more it will drain power. Also there are other factors as well, including read and write speeds, their craftsmanship and so on.

Though your typical 4-8 gig MicroSDHC card made by a decent manufacturer will only see a decrease in battery life to about 30 minutes to an hour, and in more extreme cases, two hours. This is most likely the type of MicroSDHC card you have.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Narin said:
ojsinnerz said:
Proof?

First hand experiences of me testing out MicroSDHC cards in various devices including the Nintendo DS as well as testimonies from my friends and those I encounter online. Not only that, but just reading the MicroSDHC spec verifies this claim. It does offer a higher capacity at the cost of a higher power consumption.

Also as I stated above, I said only certain MicroSDHC cards cut the battery usage in half. The higher the memory capacity of the MicroSDHC card, the more it will drain power. Also there are other factors as well, including read and write speeds, their craftsmanship and so on.

Though your typical 4-8 gig MicroSDHC card made by a decent manufacturer will only see a decrease in battery life to about 30 minutes to an hour, and in more extreme cases, two hours. This is most likely the type of MicroSDHC card you have.
Actually, you never said certain micro sdhcs will draw out more power.

However, since you meant "If the micro sdhc made from a crappy company", then I agree.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
newegg and buy.com are both cheaper than DX, with much, much faster shipping.

Yes, but it's worth paying the premium for DX because you're guaranteed a Japan card. With NewEgg.com, Buy.com, or anyone else, there's a good chance you'll get Taiwan (my only Taiwan card is because I tried to save money at NewEgg).

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
Urza said:
newegg and buy.com are both cheaper than DX, with much, much faster shipping.

Yes, but it's worth paying the premium for DX because you're guaranteed a Japan card. With NewEgg.com, Buy.com, or anyone else, there's a good chance you'll get Taiwan (my only Taiwan card is because I tried to save money at NewEgg).
Actually, its real easy to tell the difference between Japanese made and Taiwan made MicroSD cards on NewEgg if you know what your lookng for. NewEgg posts the model numbers of their products in the specification tab and both Tawian and Japanese cards have two different model numbers.

Topfragger

Trophies
XP
Country
The cheapest place for me was WOW
tongue.gif

theres allways JB hifi as well!

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
Actually, its real easy to tell the difference between Japanese made and Taiwan made MicroSD cards on NewEgg if you know what your lookng for. NewEgg posts the model numbers of their products in the specification tab and both Tawian and Japanese cards have two different model numbers.

Can you back this information up? What method should be used to tell?

I bought this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134478

and it was Taiwan. I also bought a couple 1GB from Amazon - once it was Japan and the next time (same exact item) it was Taiwan.

yankees26eac92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I posted this the cards were in stock.
sk3tch said:
Narin said:

I bought this:

and it was Taiwan. I also bought a couple 1GB from Amazon - once it was Japan and the next time (same exact item) it was Taiwan.
How can you tell.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
yankees26eac92 said:
When I posted this the cards were in stock.
sk3tch said:
Narin said:

I bought this:

How can you tell.

Its not exact, but if you check the model number and it begins with a "SDC", more often than not it will be a Japanese made MicroSD card. Theres some rare exceptions due to mixed up inventory and such, but I bought 5 microSD cards from NewEgg and got nothing but Japanese made cards. It also helps if you contact NewEgg ahead of them as well. Their customer support is pretty good and they could help make sure yu get a Japanese model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr