PS1/2 Cheapest place to buy Memor32?

NoSmokingBandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little late, but i want to get some form of FreeMcBoot running on my ps2.

I have a few questions if you guys wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

• From what i have read i must format my 8mb Sony memory card in order to install FMCB on it, then i use it to install FMCB on the Memor32, right? If thats the case is it possible to copy my saves from the 8MB Sony card to the Memor32, then to my pc via usb, then do the whole install process, and use the Memor32 (with FMCB installed) to copy my saves back to the 8mb card. In other words, does the Memor32 still work as a memory card after FMCB is installed? I'd like a way to get my saves back onto my 8mb. Or can i copy them to a usb flash drive then back over to the 8mb via the PS2?

• I found Memor32 cards for about $40, is there a retailer selling them for less than that? Or a method cheaper than that?

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Memor32 is a bad investment...
More or less ; memor32 is a 32mb memory card with freeMCBOOT(memento they call it)
the only thing its got over a normal memory card is a usb capability to connect with your computer(cable not supplied lol)
But you get the same capablility using a normal usb key on your ps2 using a memory card with freemcboot.
Also t only takes about 1 or 2 mb the rest is free for saves.(Using 64mb memory card here)

NoSmokingBandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that i have no means of installing FMCB unless i buy an action replay/codebreaker, another memory card (and send it out), or find someone with a slim ps2 i can borrow.

Asking someone else to do my hacking hurts my inner nerd, so i want to do it all myself. I'm going to need another memory card anyway (my 8mb is getting full), so i figured i might as well splurge on the 32mb and never worry about it again.

Getting the memor32 may cost a little more, but imo its worth it to be able to do everything myself and have 32mb for saves left over. Its still cheaper than buying a used copy of ICO and SotC (sadly i have not yet played either of those).

Btw, the place that was selling it for $40 was actually a "memor32 alternative" which is a crappy 8mb card with fmcb installed already, so i'm probably just going to get one from DealExtreme (saw it on there yesterday while looking for other things, actually, lol). I love DealExtreme, but they seem to have stop selling DS cards. Whats up with that?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I recommend getting Swap Magic. This allows to install Free McBoot, allows to run stuff on the ps2 versions that are not FMCB compatbile and also allows to boot ps2 homebrew on the ps3 that are backwards compatible. Since you only need it once, you would have a good option to sell it afterwards as well.

Once you have Free McBoot, you can copy your saves from memory card to pc, so you don't really need a new memory card. And if you want an additional memory card, i would suggest getting a sony 8 MB card to avoid issues.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
You can also post an add on local classified saying youd pay 15$ to get freemcboot installed on your memory card. You can get this way have installed in person... it only takes like 30 sec to install... i am sure you would get answers
It would be a lot faster than DX

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sao Mortel said:
You can also post an add on local classified saying youd pay 15$ to get freemcboot installed on your memory card. You can get this way have installed in person... it only takes like 30 sec to install... i am sure you would get answers
It would be a lot faster than DX

Heh,
I have a post on Craigslist saying I do that.
And un-brick psps (also CFW, but not so much anymore)
and softmod xboxs, xboxes, xbox's )wtf is the pluralization of xbox?)

for $15 each.

NoSmokingBandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its really easy to softmod an xbox. You can set it up so XBMC loads at boot so your media is right there. You can install a larger hdd too, but thats a little trickier.

Anynway, i found someone who is selling me a 8mb sony card with FMCB installed and a 16mb MAX card, so when they arrive i should be ready to go.

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, it's easy if you have everything you need.
I cobbled together a USB->Xbox adapter and modified an old thumbdrive to act like an Xbox memory card.
Then I used an gamesave exploit it install the softmod.

Also, if you network your ... network... correctly, you can stream/share the media to the Xbox without adding a bigger harddrive.

I opted for a 500GB drive because, well, because I could actually.

It's been so long though, I cannot seem to make any other thumbdrive work, so I only have the one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night