Cheapest/Best Place too buy DS USB WIFI adapter?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Nex_WhatToDo, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Nex_WhatToDo
    OP

Member Nex_WhatToDo Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me a cheap but good/reliable place to buy a ds usb wifi adapter (preferably a uk site)
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    maybe it's just me, but all of the places that do sell them have seemed to raise their prices. bestbuy, here in the states, had them initially for 35usd, but now their 42usd.

if I were you, I'd just order one from nintendo's store site on the web.

3. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    At that price, I'd just buy a wireless router...

Be sure to check through major chain store websites in the UK. You could also take a look at the 3rd party ones, like Datel's. (Not sure how well it works.)

4. DownwardSpyral

Newcomer DownwardSpyral The Fastest Thing Alive

United States
    Few things to consider... Nintendo's WiFi connector only works for Nintendo DS's. And only allows 5 DS's connected at one time. Datels WiFi connector acts as a true WiFi hotspot, allows PSP and DS connections, as well as PC, and likely holds far more clients at a time.

I however, don't own either, so i cant claim how well they work

5. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Depends where you are really... If you're in the UK, Datel's Wi-Fi Max is the cheapest right now at £18 free delivery from DVD.co.uk or Play.com.

You can see my review of it here:

http://xcomp.gamebrink.com/?p=240

I haven't used the Nintendo's official Buffalo Wi-Fi adapter but, as Downward says, it only works with DSes and not other devices like laptops... Until you find some hacked drivers for it. Even so, the adapter costs £25 right now, £7 more than the Datel.

Or if you can spend a bit more, you could go for a wireless router which would be a better investment. You'll have to know exactly what you're looking for though because there are many types such as ones with built-in ADSL modems, ones without, ones that seem to not work with the DS at all etc.

6. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Why?
    Do I need a "Official Nintendo DS WiFi Adapter"?

Can't I just use any WiFi Usb adapter and play it on internet?

7. ciama81

Member ciama81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you plan on owning a Wii?? If you do, you may be better off buying a wireless router to handle both when the time comes.

8. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    if you have a wireless router, then you have no need for nintendo's usb wireless adapter.

the only reason I could see purchasing one is if you had a cable/dsl connection that went directly into your computer or laptop and have not no inclination of purchasing a wireless router or if your current router isn't supported (but as others have already pointed out, the cost of a wireless router isn't that much more than the nintendo usb adapter and allows you to hook up other devices (secured) in addition to a ds system.

9. Nex_WhatToDo
    OP

Member Nex_WhatToDo Advanced Member

Thanks for the advice, im thinking of going with a wireless router now, any suggestions on a DS working one lol sorry i know im hopeless :S

EDIT: by the way i have cable broadband connection tht goes directly to my pc

10. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Add a little more and you'll get a good wireless router for the same price. I would defenilty go with the router.

11. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, I'm using a combined solution - ADSL Modem/Wireless Router/Switch/Firewall all in one and works nicely with my DS. It's a Netgear DG834G model but it doesn't support cable. You probably want to try the WGR614 model but I'm not sure.