Cheap laptop memory a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, May 30, 2007.

May 30, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    With the flow of birthday money, I decided to splash out on the stuff I've been putting off. One of them is more memory for my laptop. But some of the prices still make me hesistant in wanting to get one... until I saw this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1GB-Kingston-DDR2-53...1QQcmdZViewItem

From Singapore... might get 2 of them at that price... but really is buying cheap memory going to do the laptop harm in the long term?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Buying cheap memory cards from ebay (especially east Asia) is generally something people counsel against (OK so this is a nearly 7 year member as far as I can see but still).

Laptop memory is always a ripoff not to mention it is normally maker locked (i.e. Sony laptops need Sony made/sanctioned ram).

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Well, the current laptop I have is an HP laptop with 2 512mb memory to make up 1gb. Maybe I'm just being greedy in hoping to get up to 2gb but at the end of the day, it does help me run a lot more programs at once right? I mean it does have a AMD Turion 64 in it

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    HP latops are most certainly locked to brand/vendor......

2 gigs of memory, it is a laptop so I doubt you will be doing anything especially memory demanding (CAD and some aspects of video encoding are the main ones here).
    1gig should be enough for now but do not expect prices to drop as much as normal ram (3 years on when everyone wants to run the newest apps usually means a ram upgrade and due to said devices being locked a memory monopoly).
    If it matters any I have 2 gigs in my current machine (virtual memory is turned on) and I rarely touch 800 megs (I play a lot of games and keep a good bit of video and compression related stuff open) let alone the full amount.

Edit you said you have some links but dabs is a good benchmark for UK stuff:
    http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&Navi...1149&PageMode=1

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    How big a difference does turning virtual memory off make?

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    It will mean everything is forced to load into the RAM rather than off my hard disk which assuming I have enough will actually pump up performance (as well as giving me another few hundred megs of space to play with).

Synthetic benchmarks may not see much of a boost but games and general responsiveness of the OS will be noticeably better.

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Doesn't hurt to try it out. How do I go about doing it?. Also, I remember an article where Vista can use something called speedboost or something where an ordinary USB memory stick with space on it can double as memory as well. Or am I just dreaming?

8. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Have you had a look on ebuyer? 1GB of 4200 DDR2 SO-DIMM is about £30 on Kingston, Crucial and Corsair. If you have a Google Checkout account you can knock a further £10 off that. Shipping will be about £2.19, so you would pay about £22 delivered.

Erm you shouldn't have any problem using non HP memory, but just in case it might be an idea going on Crucials website and using the memory finder to see what they recommend.

[​IMG]

Harsky - You can change virtual memory by going Control Panel > System > Advance > Performance Settings > Advance > Virtual Memory.
    You're thinking of ReadyBoost. Basically it treats a flash drive like RAM, they say the amount of Readyboot memory should match the amount of RAM for best performance. Not all flash drives are ReadyBoost compatible... check compatibility list.

[​IMG]

9. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    Press windows key + break > advanced > performance settings > advanced > change > no paging file > set > ok > apply

10. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Out of those 3 brand, which is the recommended one? It does seem more safe spending more to buy 2 X 1gb memory from there instead of buying it from ebay from a seller in singapore...

11. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    There all reputable brands, performance wise I don't think there would be much difference - take your pick!
    Ebuyer have 2 x 1GB for £50 which after google checkout and P+P would only work out £42'ish, that is a couple of quid cheaper than buying from that ebay seller you linked to in your first post, so no it wouldn't be more expensive. If you were buying just 1GB of RAM you would pay 20-30p more from ebuyer, hardly much more? [​IMG] And yes I would much rather go with Ebuyer than an ebay seller.

[​IMG]

12. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Okay, I turned the paging thing off and and when I opened Photoshop 7, I got an error message but it still continued to launch. Is it really idea to turn off paging file?

13. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    its kingston ram not like happy panda surprise ram
    go for it but just wait longer for shipping

14. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Check your laptop's manual; correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's a maximum limit to how much memory laptop motherboards can take. Just speaking from personal experience, one of my memory modules is busted and I was thinking of upgrading when I replace it but my laptop manual states that my computer cannot handle more than 512MB maximum.

Either way, I'd *never* buy memory from Ebay. You don't know where it's been. I don't know about the other consequences of crap RAM but my flakey module makes my laptop randomly freeze, chewing files with scandisk when it reboots. What fun.

15. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    there are limitations from the motherboard but sometimes a bios upgrade will correct that.
    also there are limitations in the os based on what type of processor you have but thats not a factor till around 3.5 gigs of ram