Hacking Homebrew app CHBC installation on Wii U PAL with fw 5.5.5E: question

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
HI, I have just updated my WII U Pal version to the latest fw 5.5.5E and i would like to hack it in order to load GC games in particular but Wii and Wii U games too if I will be able to to that. I have some questions, please can you help me?

1) can I apply this guide (https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/cbhc/sd-preparation) in the 5.5.5E fw too or is there the risk to brick the console?

2) If it is possible, I read that in particular in order to install Nintendont, it is necessary a micro SD, not a SDHC or SDXC. Is this true? In order to hack the console with CHBC and then to install vWii and Nintendont, I have to buy a microSD, not a SDXC? I would like to buy this microSD, that is a MicroSDXC (https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-memor...feature_browse-bin:516698031&s=pc&sr=1-4&th=1) in order to apply the hack, to install the apps (vWii, Nintendont and so on) and also to store the GC games because I know that it is possible to store GC games in the microSD. Is it ok if I buy this? Or is it necessary to buy a microSD not microSDXC?

3) Is it also possible to load Wii and Wii U games in the same microSD, or is it necessary to buy an esternal USB key for these games?

thank you very much for your help!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. You can follow this guide using 5.5.5E, yes.
  2. Whenever possible, you do not want to store games on your SD card. You want to install games to your NAND or USB drive instead using your favorite WUP installer (WUP Installer GX2 is recommended). You can download Wii U, GameCube, and Virtual Console games using Wii U USB Helper. You do not need to use a microSD card. A normal SD card works just fine, as long as it's formatted as FAT32 using guiformat if it isn't already formatted as FAT32. Your SD card should be at least as big as the largest game you want to install, since that's where you will put the installer.
  3. You want to install games to your NAND or USB drive. If your NAND is full, then buying a USB device for your Wii U, Wii, GameCube, and Virtual Console games is recommended. It is recommended that you download everything through Wii U USB Helper, and it is recommended that you install them to your NAND or USB drive using WUP Installer GX2.

Reactions: jeannotte

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thank you very much!
1) OK!

2) well, i don't have any SD or microSD card now, I have to buy one. If it is mandatory to buy an SD instead a microSDHC,it is not easy to find one because usually (on amazon for example) there are only microSDXC or microSDHC... is this one correct? https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-memor...feature_browse-bin:516698031&s=pc&sr=1-4&th=1 For sure every game (GC, Wii or Wii U is not so big so i can load every game in this card (Wii U games aren't bugger than 60GB :)

3) OK, so it is better to buy an USB key and load on it GC, Wii and Wii U games (I don't remember how many free space I have in my internal Wii U memory, later I will check). Is this OK? https://www.amazon.it/Samsung-Memor...ords=usb+key+256gb&qid=1625759458&s=pc&sr=1-3

4) Yes, i just have my favourite games for the emulators in this format:
GC --> isos
Wii --> Isos (and one game in .wad format)
Wii U --> i downloaded them, with their DLC and updated with Wii U USB Helpder (I use them with CEMU emulator, but I don't know how to install the games and their DLC and updated on the Wii U...but I hope i will find a good guide..)

So I don't need to download any game, i only need to hack the console with CHBC, install the needed Apps (vWii, Nintendont and i don't know if anything else...) and load the games

many thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can install games on internal memory or on usb. the only way to play wii u games on an sd card is loadiine, but it is unbelievably slow. I think one of the star fox games takes like 20 minutes to load. anyway, I think the biggest game on the wii u is in the high 20GBs (maybe 27GBs?). get a somewhat large card to install several games or content at once otherwise it will become tedious.

Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Using an SD card instead of a microSD card is not mandatory, but it's generally recommended for reasons related to functionality, and it's cheaper.

2. Generally speaking, an HDD with a Y-cable is recommended over a USB stick, for reasons related to functionality and durability.

3-4. In order to use your USB device with the Wii U, it must be completely formatted for exclusive use with the Wii U. In other words, a USB device formatted for exclusive use with the Wii U cannot be used with the vWii. This is why it is recommended that you download everything using Wii U USB Helper and install everything using WUP Installer GX2. That way, you can keep everything on the same USB device and launch everything from the Wii U home menu. If you were to use your previously downloaded Wii/GC games, you would require two USB devices (one for the Wii U, and one for the vWii).

I should also mention that CBHC is optional. If you do not want to spend money on a DS VC game for Haxchi/CBHC, you can use Mocha and the internet browser instead.

Last edited by Lacius, , Reason: typos

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
you can install games on internal memory or on usb. the only way to play wii u games on an sd card is loadiine, but it is unbelievably slow. I think one of the star fox games takes like 20 minutes to load. anyway, I think the biggest game on the wii u is in the high 20GBs (maybe 27GBs?). get a somewhat large card to install several games or content at once otherwise it will become tedious.
ok, understood, it is better a 128 GB SD

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Using an SD card instead of a microSD card is not mandatory, but it's generally recommended for reasons related to functionality, and it's cheaper.

2. Generally speaking, an HDD with a Y-cable is recommended over a USB stick, for reasons related to functionality and durability.

3-4. In order to use your USB device with the Wii U, it must be completely formatted for exclusive use with the Wii U. In other words, a USB device formatted for exclusive use with the Wii U cannot be used with the vWii. This is why it is recommended that you download everything using Wii U USB Helper and install everything using WUP Installer GX2. That way, you can keep everything on the same USB device and launch everything from the Wii U home menu. If you were to use your previously downloaded Wii/GC games, you would require two USB devices (one for the Wii U, and one for the vWii).

I should also mention that CBHC is optional. If you do not want to spend money on a DS VC game for Haxchi/CBHC, you can use Mocha and the internet browser instead.

1) well unfortunately it is not easy to find an SD card :( and it it is more expensive than a microSD :( I read that in order to install Nintendont, it is necessary an SD card at maximum of 8GB...!? Well it is impossible to find an 8Gb SD card now :(
If ti works, this one https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-memoria-microSDXC-adattatore-prestazioni/dp/B08GYBBBBH/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&qid=1625691540&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin:516698031&s=pc&sr=1-4&th=1 is cheaper and i could use it to install everything...

2) ok, I already have an HDD with USB cable, i can use it for Wii U games and I could use an USB key for GC/Wii games (it is possible to keep in the same device both GC and Wii games, right?). I would like to avoid to download again every Wii U, Wii and GC game...Is it possible to keep simultaneously installed the HDD and the USB key in the Wii U in order to have available all the games for Wii U, Wii and GC?

yes I know that i can install mocha without any game, but i shoudl be forced to have always active the internet connection...I don't want this...I prefer to buy a game (the cheaper one, of course, Brain Age)

thank you!

Last edited by legolas119,

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I bought Brain Age and i checked my internal free space: 21GB (i only have game data of Super Smash Bros and Brain Training), probably the additional GB are used by the O.S....

1) I have found an old 4GB SD card (not a microSD) and I formatted it in FAT32: it should be OK to hack the Wii U and install vWii, Nintendont and so on, right? I prepared it with all the files needed to hack the console with CHBC.

2) Unfortunately 21GB in the internal memory are not enough for my GC iso collections (22GB), so I have to use a different support. If i try to download again with Wii U USB Helper all the GC games directly on a microSDcard (or a USB key/ USB HDD), the games could take less size...? If so, I could try to download them again, otherwise i will use an external support.

3) Wii and GC games: currently i have converted wii games in WBFS format: is it possible to directly copy this format in the external hdd? Or does I need to convert them back to iso format? I could buy a USB key (128GB is enough) in order to store GC/Wii games
Wii U games: I still have an external drive (1GB) so i could use this for Wii U games.

I'm agree with you, it will be really useful to have all games (Wii U, Wii and GC) directly stored in only one externa device. I could download everything again with USB Helper, sure. But where I can find a guide to to that? Usually I download Wii U games with USB helper in order to use them with CEMU emulator. But I don't know the correct procedure to download GC, Wii and Wii U games (with their DLC/updates) to directly store them in an external USB support, ready for use them with my hacked Wii U :(

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. yes, you don't need much space to hack the virtual wii, but you will need space for games to install on the wii u side.
2. you can put gamecube games on the sd card or usb.
3. you can play those games on the vwii. if you want to play them on the wii u side, use teconmoon's injector. it will work with wbfs.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I bought Brain Age and i checked my internal free space: 21GB (i only have game data of Super Smash Bros and Brain Training), probably the additional GB are used by the O.S....

1) I have found an old 4GB SD card (not a microSD) and I formatted it in FAT32: it should be OK to hack the Wii U and install vWii, Nintendont and so on, right? I prepared it with all the files needed to hack the console with CHBC.

2) Unfortunately 21GB in the internal memory are not enough for my GC iso collections (22GB), so I have to use a different support. If i try to download again with Wii U USB Helper all the GC games directly on a microSDcard (or a USB key/ USB HDD), the games could take less size...? If so, I could try to download them again, otherwise i will use an external support.

3) Wii and GC games: currently i have converted wii games in WBFS format: is it possible to directly copy this format in the external hdd? Or does I need to convert them back to iso format? I could buy a USB key (128GB is enough) in order to store GC/Wii games
Wii U games: I still have an external drive (1GB) so i could use this for Wii U games.

I'm agree with you, it will be really useful to have all games (Wii U, Wii and GC) directly stored in only one externa device. I could download everything again with USB Helper, sure. But where I can find a guide to to that? Usually I download Wii U games with USB helper in order to use them with CEMU emulator. But I don't know the correct procedure to download GC, Wii and Wii U games (with their DLC/updates) to directly store them in an external USB support, ready for use them with my hacked Wii U :(

Hello,

I strongly recommend an external hard drive with a Y cable (better connectivity) and format it in wii U format.

For wii U games ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/working-fix-easy-install-wii-u-usb-helper-0-6-1-655.535214/

for wii and Gamecube games ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks!

well i'm following the guide (https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/cbhc/sd-preparation) but in order to perform the NAND backup i need a 32Gb SD card..my 4GB card isn't enough :( I have to buy another one.
This one is cheaper https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-memor...feature_browse-bin:516698031&s=pc&sr=1-4&th=1 but it is a microSD...

This one is an SD card https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-Memor...n:1625314031&rnid=473574031&s=pc&sr=1-16&th=1, more expensive (and for sure i will not use it for others devices because every devise now needs microSD). With 128GB i will be sure that i can transfer more than one game simultaneously on the Wii U.
As i would use the SD card only to hack/install the apps and to transfer the game from my pc to the Wii U, i could buy a cheaper 64GB sd card, like this: https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-Memor...se-bin:1625314031&rnid=473574031&s=pc&sr=1-16

Which one do you suggest?

thank you!

P.S.: yes, my 1GB hdd has an Y cable :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't need a 32GB card, technically speaking. you only need one to backup the mlc. cbhc modifies the slc, which iirc is only 528MBs. the system.xml and syshax.xml are what relate to that. you can see what's inside with your otp.bin. they're identical except for the location to open first. they're in the config folder on the root of the slc.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you actually need double the space for the mlc, so you need 64GBs. however, it's not needed for cbhc. that is wrong.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mlc is unnecessary, unless you want to backup the haxchi title. slc is more important, because that will determine if you brick.

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
understood. The guide says: "If you do not have a large enough SD Card, you can skip the optional MLC section which includes save files and game data and is not needed to recover most types of bricks." As I only have save file of Super Smash Bros, if I unckeck MLC option, if I brick my console, I will loose only thie save file and probably I will loose Brain Training too. Nothing else.
ok, i can try...I hope not to brick the console..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iirc saves follow the game, so if you have an hdd, they'll be with that. Don't worry, as long as you follow instructions, you won't brick

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Done! Wii U hacked succesfully, thanks!
I also installer HBL, vWii and its HBL, WupInstaller and Nintendont. Does I need any other particular app in order to install Wii U, Wii and GC games in an external usb support?

1) I would like to download again from Wii USB Helper all the Wii U, Wii and GC games that I already have in order to put them in the same USB external HDD. Please, where I can find a guide to do that? I suppose I have to format the HDD in a Wii U format, right?

2) I could start to download and install in the hdd the GC and Wii games: which is the right way? I read that if I install USB Loader GX on vWii, I could see my games list (for GC and Wii) with their own icon. Is this true? I would like to install the .wad version of USB loader GX (I found it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/us...Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT_vWii (Fix).wad/download) but i don't know how to do this...where I have to put the wad file in my SD card and how can I install it?

thanks!

Last edited by legolas119,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it