Charlottesville killer James Fields found guilty of all charges, faces six life sentences

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Xzi, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Umm no it's not.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    I don't understand the debate going on here. He's a murder, he got sentenced, the day goes on. I mean, I understand that this brings up the topic of Trump being garbage, but I feel like that should warrant a sperate topic. Trump being a piece of shit is a much bigger topic than just one incident.
    (Although it's still worth repeating that Trump is a horrible president and person.)

Xzi likes this.
  3. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    The US was founded on the genocide of indigenous people which continues to this day.
    We are currently involved in the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians by Isreal and have played roles in many other genocides around the world (Guatemala, Congo, etc).

Fuck fascism and people like Gameboy saying this was a false flag, but if we are to consistent in our opposition to mass murder and authoritarianism, we have to take a long hard look at the role of US imperialism in the world.

Last edited by Whole lotta love, Dec 8, 2018
  4. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Well duh. No one said he should.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Re: cost paying for the next ?? years vs some kind of lethal injection? Have you actually looked to see how much such a thing runs? Death row is a rather expensive endeavour between all the appeals, costs and whatever else.

Free speech is not overrated and I would hate to see anybody prosecuted for simple racist speech. Racist actions on the other hand.

CallmeBerto and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Reading about failed executions and wrongful executions, yeah, just jail people and be done with it.

7. That it is. Let's see if cars are going to get banned somehow.

8. This is insanity right here. People nowadays claim anything and everything is "racism" so thank God that's not an actual thing.. yet.

However, the UN with the Migration Pact which will run on December 10 and 11 will make criticism of migrants a "hate crime" so you'll eventually get what you want, smf.

1984 warned us about the future and now it's showing its face.

CallmeBerto and Subtle Demise like this.
  9. Lilith Valentine
    This message by Lilith Valentine has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Dec 8, 2018, Reason: Enough.
    Dec 8, 2018
  10. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    How is speech not an action?

People throw around the word "murder" all the time. Traffic was murder, I'll murder him when he gets home. It doesn't stop it being a crime.

1984 was about thought crime. It shouldn't be used as an excuse to abuse people.

You can think racist thoughts all you want, but neo nazi rallies are not acceptable in any decent society.

It is. Holding free speech above all other rights is ludicrous.

Last edited by smf, Dec 8, 2018
    Whole lotta love likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Because words don't cause damage, give or take direct threats, intellectual property concerns and the fire in a crowded theatre type thing aka the limitations and not being put above certain other rights.

I am OK with neo nazi rallies. It is always nice when the people attending them save me the trouble figuring out if they need to be on my shithead list.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  12. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    As I always like to think, maybe instead of decrying how good the life of prisoners are, we strive to make life outside of prison better than prison life?

guicrith and KingVamp like this.
  13. Whole lotta love

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    Prisoners in the US live terrible lives. They are tortured and enslaved.

14. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    If you're in a maximum security prison, then you probably did some fucked up shit to get in there. You pretty much deserve all that is coming to you.

15. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    If you value freedom, removal of that freedom for years or life should be enough punishment. If you think it requires torture on top of that, then you don't value freedom nor human integrity much.

Whole lotta love likes this.
  16. Whole lotta love

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    A few things.

1) All US prisons rely on torture as punishment. Solitary confinement, rape, violence, financial ruin, and poor/unavailable medical care are all among de jour and de facto forms of torture used by the state. Many prisons enslave their prisoners by paying them $1 an hour for labor. This is not just maximum security prisons.
    2) The U.S. justice system is often wrong. Innocent people go to prison every day, even to maximum security prisons.
    3) Torturing perpetrators of crimes (and their innocent peers) has no proven benefit to society. It is an extremely fiscally irresponsible way to keep the crime rate up.
    4) IMO, the state should not have the right to kill or torture its citizens.

CallmeBerto and smf like this.
  17. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    They cause damage to the brains of the people who listen and have their own prejudices bolstered. With enough damage they will then go on to cause physical damage.

That doesn't really fit into the american ethos, where it's all about making it for yourself & being beaten with a stick until you do.

That attitude isn't unique to America, it's common for people to wonder why ex prisoners are being looked after. It's because then they will stop offending and start contributing to society. Putting them in prison costs too much money.

Last edited by smf, Dec 8, 2018
  18. guicrith

guicrith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    There is a method that would be 100% successful, use heroin, the really potent kind they use to knockout elephants(carfentanyl), they will be dead in 5 minutes and its painless, this issue was invented solely by drug companys not wanting there drugs associated with killing and the US governments complicity in there greed.

I would rather be executed then spend 1 year in solitary wrongfully convicted, dont know why so many people think a shit life is better than no life, the very fact I ended up there for something I didnt do would mess me up for life and I would likely just kill my self after getting out anyway.

Last edited by guicrith, Dec 9, 2018
  19. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Are neo nazis any different than the groups that originated the "kill whitey" phrase? Or are white people exempt from your proposed "protections" because an extremely small subset of our race holds extreme views? Again, free speech needs to be protected because it's still the most effective weapon against oppressive regimes and special interest groups who want to give themselves more rights than others because things exist in the world tbat hurt their feelings. You can't make people's feelings public policy, sorry. I'll fight to the death about it if necessary.

DarthDub and CallmeBerto like this.
  20. Whole lotta love

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    How many people have Nazi's killed?
    How many people have "kill white" people killed?

21. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Nazis or modern neo nazis? Modern neo nazis are already very niche, and even fewer of those actually act out their delusions. It's actually kind of funny, groups like ANTIFA keep drawing attention to these fringe groups and actually giving them more power lol.

DarthDub and CallmeBerto like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted