Charlottesville killer James Fields found guilty of all charges, faces six life sentences

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Xzi, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Just like President Obama tried to veto a bill that would allow families of 9/11 victims to sue saudi arabia?
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-sept11-saudi-idUSKCN11Y2D1

2. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Not at the cost of being xenophobes. Not at the human cost we are exacting from people. The policies and corruption of the current administration are what makes us weak as a country.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Here you're talking about potential complacency and promotion of violence in regards to an entire foreign power. With major national security implications. Whereas the Saudi Crown Prince simply decided to continue the tradition of murdering people he didn't like. Trying to compare the two doesn't quite stack up.

Lilith Valentine, Xzi and kuwanger like this.
  3. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Yet you are quick to compare Trump and Hitler. Comedy gold right here.

4. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Why should you be able to sue a country? What benefit will they get from trying to sue a country? Are you ready for being sued for your own misdeeds?

It sounds like someone is abusing those families for political gain.

Last edited by smf, Dec 8, 2018
  5. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That was wrong. AFAIK there is no smoking gun that Saudi Arabia paid al Qaeda to attack the US. Hopefully as the suits against Saudi Arabia move forward, we'll have more definitive proof on the point. If it turns out that Saudi Arabia knowingly funded attacks against US, then what you state is something to compare against Trump's actions. If it turns out Saudi Arabia funded many terrorist groups believing they were paying "freedom fighters" with mutual goals, then the situation is a lot more murky--look no further than the many times the CIA has funded "freedom fighters" under similar circumstances. This is, of course, the great problem with funding proxy fighters/terrorists.

As it stands, however, the situation with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is not murky. There isn't some sort of hazy of understanding. It is clear that a murderer is being explicitly defended with murky words instead of facing facts. There isn't some vagueness of interpretation or circumstance to justify looking the other way nor putting it off for another day and trying to resolve it in civil suits. If 9/11 justified invading Afghanistan to capture or kill members of al Qaeda along with members of the Taliban who fought off such efforts, what does the murder of one journalist justify?

PS - If not at all clear, I don't believe it justifiable to fund "freedom fighters" precisely because it leads to not only this sort of situation but often much worse situations, where those who gain power are often even more terrible than the people they replace, and mass rape and murder frequently ensues. Of course, one could argue this the common component and/or end-state of war, but that's really a whole thing to discuss.

Last edited by kuwanger, Dec 8, 2018
    Lilith Valentine likes this.
  6. Serves him right. Either that or a death penalty, but I guess that's not available.

7. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Arecaidian Fox likes this.
  8. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    4 pgs of political bickering when everyone here should be on the same page about this one and just leave it at that. The dude intentionally plowed into & killed people with his car. Jury wasted no time finding him guilty. Job well done, members of the jury. Now he gets to rot at taxpayer expense. He deserves worse than he'll get.

CallmeBerto and Xzi like this.
  9. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Where the fuck did you pull Hitler from, lolz? I never once mentioned Hitler. Trump is awful on his own merit, he doesn't need help. Though The following is a good point...

10. Xzi
    OP

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, the only other option is the death penalty, and I think that's a much easier out than having to spend every day of the next 60+ years rotting away in a small cell. We're in agreement for the rest of that though.

11. DrGreed

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    No. We all agree the dude deserves what he has coming. The only reason I jumped in the wagon was because they brought up Trump when he had nothing to do with it. Also I have nothing else better to do. Work is slow.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  12. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    And that, ladies and gentleman, is how you miss a point. But yes, we can all agree plowing your car into people is bad.

13. DrGreed

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Explain how I'm missing the point? Read the first page. Clearly you're not paying attention. Lol

14. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

Oh, I understand that. I've allowed myself to be pulled into, and have thrown myself into, more pointless dickswinging in this subforum than I want to admit. Not recently though, and not any more I hope. I've seen the light. Not that politics isn't worth arguing about ... just that its a counterproductive force HERE, for me. I'm out. I've got no problem with this board being here for those who want to take part, but it didn't make GBATEMP a better place for me. Quite the opposite.

I can think of some interesting ways we could have him spend his time that are between the extremes of the 1) death penalty and 2) protective cushtody in the penitentiary, which he'll probably get as a high profile inmate. But yeah, that darned 8th amendment. oh well lol.

Last edited by Hanafuda, Dec 8, 2018
  15. DrGreed

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    It helps pass the time. It's not like anyone comes to this site to make the world a better place. I hear they attempt that on Twitter.

16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And pay for that miserable abortive subhuman trash to get free meals, medical and room/board for 60 years through taxes? Rather would have him executed. Murderer shouldn't be locked up for life, they should be neutralized.

17. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Since they decided it was 1st degree murder, why won't he be executed?
    Just curious.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution, Dec 8, 2018
  18. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Because "he's a human being" or some BS

19. DrGreed

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Well he is a human. You can't just dehumanize people that's wrong.

20. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And you can't let murderers get away with well, murder, either.

21. Xzi
    OP

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    With the for-profit prison system in this country, they're going to keep that cell filled regardless. Might as well be filled with a murderer instead of a guy who smoked a joint. Plus there's always the additional threat of being raped or murdered in jail anyway.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 8, 2018
    CallmeBerto likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted