Charlottesville killer James Fields found guilty of all charges, faces six life sentences

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Xzi, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
  2. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    He's obviously mentally ill, but you can't go round doing stuff like that.

Last edited by smf, Dec 8, 2018
    efishta and Xzi like this.
  3. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    all government propaganda

Carnelian likes this.
  4. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The government propaganda was that there were "very fine people" on both sides of this killing.

5. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    On both sides of the violence, I don't think even he is dumb enough to think it was both sides of the killing.

And he may have a point, like there were fine people on both sides of world war 2. It doesn't mean that fighting against the far right is wrong.

6. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It can be interpreted either way. Since Trump never speaks in complete thoughts or sentences, we'll probably never know for sure.

Yikes, might want to re-think that statement. The US has never been perfect by any measure, but at least we have yet to attempt genocide. The only 'fine people' in the axis powers were those that refused to follow morally reprehensible orders, and those that tried to assist their fellow man without violence.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 8, 2018
  7. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm not sure if he does that so he can "clarify" everything afterwards, or he's just dumb.

You can't know that everyone who was on the other side supported genocide.

Like not all americans supported napalm in vietnam or nuclear bombs on japan etc.

Racism is an inherent human trait.

Xzi likes this.
  8. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    He never does come back to clarify previous statements, so it's likely the latter.

Yeah I elaborated a bit further on what I meant by that.

9. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    A lot of germans saw hitler in the same way americans see trump, they both promised to sort the country out because they were better than everyone else. Paraphrasing Stewart Lee. Not all the people that voted for hitler and trump were racists, some of them were cunts. But maybe they think they are nice people too & in some ways they probably are. But that is true for all cunts.

Pleng and Xzi like this.
  10. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I suppose I'd agree with that, but I'd also posit that some of us clearly have an easier time overcoming our baser instincts than others. Not every state is Mississippi, after all.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  11. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    It's practically impossible to overcome them completely, because it affects your perception in ways that you don't even notice.

It goes in both directions and it's harder to overcome them if you feel hard done by, which causes feedback into the system.

All you can do is make racism illegal and hope it all calms down. Free speech is highly overrated.

12. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Bernie and Hillary supporters are the biggest cunts honestly.

DarthDub, Carnelian and CallmeBerto like this.
  13. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    I guess it depends on if you think the California Genocide counts. There's also a lot of less direct acts that were definitely at least borderline genocide. Having said that, yes, Germany went full-on genocide. It's definitely hard to compare the systematic, industrial murder of millions to more general policy that may lead to the same end. I'll just go as far as to say both were very, very wrong.

14. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Good, the man deserves to never set foot on free soil again. Fuck Nazis, fuck Trump.

15. DrGreed

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    What did Trump have to do with anything? Other than being President?

DarthDub, Kingy_, Carnelian and 2 others like this.
  16. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    You have some cognitive bias going on there.

MichiS97 and efishta like this.
  17. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Other than failing to condemn a murderer (biggest softball any president can get), he has nothing to do with this case.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Trump tweet some sort of defense of this guy after the guilty verdict, either.

18. DrGreed

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Nice sarcasm I love it. But I would argue that we both have a bias here. But from what I've read and seen from the left is if they don't like something then they want it banned. If a righty doesn't like something then it doesn't bother them. Unless they are religious and don't like the gays.

Being a gay person myself they do annoy me. But I don't see them as enemies. Just misinformed buttheads.

19. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I don't care how "mentally ill" you are, if you murder people, you deserve life in prison. No excuses.

Xzi likes this.
  20. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    That is pretty normal. You don't like murder, you ban it. You don't like rape, you ban it.

You're suggesting that there is something inherently wrong with the things they don't like, but that is subjective.

Like abortion?

efishta and heavyd2244 like this.