Hacking charging N3DS after installing A9LH

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was able to successfully install A9LH+Luma on two of my N3DS and now they are currently on the latest update.

i just noticed this a little while ago but could not find a answer to it online or google searching it

when i connect my N3DS to charge the little orange light comes on to indicate that it is charging. the issue is that even when the N3DS is fully charged the light will not turn off to indicate that it is already fully charged. this happens across both the consoles i currently have. as of right now i have 1 of them, which was at full charge, plugged in while powered down and the light has remained on for about 30 minutes now.

i was wondering if anyone here could give me some answers as to why this is happening or if i am just blind and the N3DS's have always been like this.

Manlydonut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My uneducated guess would be that the battery isn't holding a charge very well, so I ASSUME it would be an iffy battery. I've never heard of A9LH doing anything like that. Anybody feel free to correct me.

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My uneducated guess would be that the battery isn't holding a charge very well, so I ASSUME it would be an iffy battery. I've never heard of A9LH doing anything like that. Anybody feel free to correct me.

would seem weird that 2 batteries, one for each DS, would fail at the same time. i just left the one of them running while in a game to drain the battery and it took around 3 hours for the red light to turn on (still had 1 line left out of the 4 in the battery icon).

it wont make me want remove the custom firmware i was just wondering why it would be doing that since i only noticed it after installing CFW. could have also been happening prior to installing it but there is no way to

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
would seem weird that 2 batteries, one for each DS, would fail at the same time. i just left the one of them running while in a game to drain the battery and it took around 3 hours for the red light to turn on (still had 1 line left out of the 4 in the battery icon).

it wont make me want remove the custom firmware i was just wondering why it would be doing that since i only noticed it after installing CFW. could have also been happening prior to installing it but there is no way to

Just out of interest, is it a USB charger you are using?

Manlydonut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You might be right, if the battery lasts 3 hours, I don't think it's the battery. (Assuming you're running it full brightness and such.)

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of interest, is it a USB charger you are us

its one that you plug in to a wall, the gray charger. should be nintendo official

Just out of interest, is it a USB charger you are using?

yup, full brightness, powersave mode off, 3D and sound all the way up and everything. guess it will forever be a mistery as to why that light stays on. i should mention that removing the battery makes it work again for a few minutes and then it just stays on again once i try and charge[/QUOTE]

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was able to successfully install A9LH+Luma on two of my N3DS and now they are currently on the latest update.

i just noticed this a little while ago but could not find a answer to it online or google searching it

when i connect my N3DS to charge the little orange light comes on to indicate that it is charging. the issue is that even when the N3DS is fully charged the light will not turn off to indicate that it is already fully charged. this happens across both the consoles i currently have. as of right now i have 1 of them, which was at full charge, plugged in while powered down and the light has remained on for about 30 minutes now.

i was wondering if anyone here could give me some answers as to why this is happening or if i am just blind and the N3DS's have always been like this.
The last 20% of the (any) battery takes twice as long to charge than the rest of the battery. Go charge a cellphone and you will see the same fall off. The battery may be close to topped but as long as you charge them while they are off that light will turn off eventually. The 3DS uses about 80mah in sleep mode with wifi on so being in sleep mode it will always be drawing power from the charger. Charge them when they are off! Then tell me they aren't getting 4 hours of battery and I'll believe your batteries are both bad.

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last 20% of the (any) battery takes twice as long to charge than the rest of the battery. Go charge a cellphone and you will see the same fall off. The battery may be close to topped but as long as you charge them while they are off that light will turn off eventually. The 3DS uses about 80mah in sleep mode with wifi on so being in sleep mode it will always be drawing power from the charger. Charge them when they are off! Then tell me they aren't getting 4 hours of battery and I'll believe your batteries are both bad.

battery life is fine, its just that the light wont turn off.

i have the system completely powered off by holding the power button and then choosing to power it down. ive let it charge for over 30 minutes and the light still would not go out.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i have the system completely powered off by holding the power button and then choosing to power it down. ive let it charge for over 30 minutes and the light still would not go out.
Nintendo says it takes 3.5 hours to go from 0 to 100 and that's with the wall charger. I use a USB cable which chargers at almost half that rate, so it takes almost twice as long.

Last edited by elBenyo,

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo says it takes 3.5 hours to go from 0 to 100 and that's with the wall charger. I use a USB cable which chargers at almost half that rate, so it takes almost twice as long.

when i said i let it charge for over 30 minutes i meant that it had full charge (the entire battery at the corner showed all blue) so letting it charge while at 4/4 lines in the battery icon still did not make the light go out

Reactions: Quantumcat

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo says it takes 3.5 hours to go from 0 to 100.

I will take you literally though and level with you. If the battery never ever turns that light off than the charging resistor is detecting resistance which glows that light to tell you there's charging occuring, and since the battery is not infinite, means a cell in the battery is damaged and is discharging while charging.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

when i said i let it charge for over 30 minutes i meant that it had full charge (the entire battery at the corner showed all blue) so letting it charge while at 4/4 lines in the battery icon still did not make the light go out
My DS's can take an hour of charging when the battery says they are "Full" so I have that happen to me all the time. I really think you have two normal 3DS's lol.

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My DS's can take an hour of charging when the battery says they are "Full" so I have that happen to me all the time. I really think you have two normal 3DS's lol.

that's a relief to hear, that my devices don't both have a defect. if it had anything to do with a battery im sure it wouldnt be too hard to find one that worked with the console. im just going to leave one of the devices plugged in for a while and hopefully i wont be greeted by it a few hours late.

Last edited by Joey23475,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll show you how I charge mine. I made a USB charger by cutting open a broken phone usb cable and taping back the green and white data lines, just exposing the red and black for charging. 5v@500mah won't hurt the 3DS because the charging resistor is rated for 32v@1000mah. So anyway, I use a USB battery and my cord to have a charger that I can just pick up and go. So it works like a cradle, charges at the same speed as a cradle, no need to disconnect the charger so no wear and tear on the port and they are easy to make. I've given away two to co-workers who had gone months searching for their charger. The orientation of the cords is the same for N3DS's.

Attachments

• 20170109_131955.jpg
    20170109_131955.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20170109_132139.jpg
    20170109_132139.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by elBenyo,
D

Deleted-351540

I didn't know this wasn't normal operation for the New 3DS. I ran mine on original firmware long enough to downgrade. As far as I knew, the light doesn't indicate charge status, however just acknowledges that a charger is plugged in.

My old 3DS would change colors to indicate charge status. Red for dead, orange for medium, and blue for charged. It would also blink blue while charging, as many of you annoyingly know. The N3DS doesn't do this. (At least, mine never has.) It's always been red/orange and constant when plugged in, even when fully charged.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know this wasn't normal operation for the New 3DS. I ran mine on original firmware long enough to downgrade. As far as I knew, the light doesn't indicate charge status, however just acknowledges that a charger is plugged in.

My old 3DS would change colors to indicate charge status. Red for dead, orange for medium, and blue for charged. It would also blink blue while charging, as many of you annoyingly know. The N3DS doesn't do this. (At least, mine never has.) It's always been red/orange and constant when plugged in, even when fully charged.
My O3DS and N3DS both work the same way. Blue light when over 20%, Red when under. Plus a red LED that turns on when charging and off when full.

D

Deleted-351540

My O3DS and N3DS both work the same way. Blue light when over 20%, Red when under. Plus a red LED that turns on when charging and off when full.
Odd. Mine has never done that. I wonder what is causing it?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would leave it on the charger overnight and see if it goes out. If it doesn't then I'd attribute it to the battery charging/discharging at the same time. If that's the case and the light bothers you too much, you can just buy a new battery pack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."