Hardware Charge N3DS XL with usb-c *question*

Jared96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with USB C coming in full effect now and my cables slowly going in that route as well, is there any known 3ds charging cables that have the 3ds charge connection on one end, and USB C on the other? I know I could buy a regular USB cable that has the full sized USB on one end and then use an adapter that then has USB C on the other end, but then I have to carry that one adapter and worry about losing that. Thanks in advance.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
You would need a USB-A to USB-C adapter.

Right now is what is called a transition period where an older standard and a newer standard still exists at the same time.

I use this adapter set, which has a USB-A to USB-C adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071P7GK84/
I also have a bunch of 3DS usb charging cables of various lengths.

---

As long as your charging port is not one of those proprietary quick charging ports, you should be ok.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

Jared96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would need a USB-A to USB-C adapter.

Right now is what is called a transition period where an older standard and a newer standard still exists at the same time.

I use this adapter set, which has a USB-A to USB-C adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071P7GK84/
I also have a bunch of 3DS usb charging cables of various lengths.

---

As long as your charging port is not one of those proprietary quick charging ports, you should be ok.

That's pretty much what I figured what I'd have to do, I have a couple USB-A to USB-C adapters already, just wanted to make sure anyone hadn't seen any actual cables without having to use the adapters. Any recommendations on the USB-A to 3ds cable?

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's pretty much what I figured what I'd have to do, I have a couple USB-A to USB-C adapters already, just wanted to make sure anyone hadn't seen any actual cables without having to use the adapters. Any recommendations on the USB-A to 3ds cable?

The 3ds usb cables are fairly easy to find on amazon. Get a 2m/6ft or a 3m/10ft long cable if your planning to sit far from an outlet while charging or use in the car otherwise the standard charging usb cable is 1m/3ft long.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i:aps,k:3ds+usb+cable&page=2&keywords=3ds+usb+cable&ie=UTF8

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So with USB C coming in full effect now and my cables slowly going in that route as well, is there any known 3ds charging cables that have the 3ds charge connection on one end, and USB C on the other? I know I could buy a regular USB cable that has the full sized USB on one end and then use an adapter that then has USB C on the other end, but then I have to carry that one adapter and worry about losing that. Thanks in advance.
You could make one yourself. Get a 3DS charge cable and a USB-C cable, cut the plug off the 3DS charge cable, solder it on the USB-C cable and tidy it all up with heatshrink tubing. You'd have to be careful with the resistance though. USB-C cables with the wrong internal resistance are known to fry the device that's powering them, or at the very least fry the host's USB ports.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could make one yourself. Get a 3DS charge cable and a USB-C cable, cut the plug off the 3DS charge cable, solder it on the USB-C cable and tidy it all up with heatshrink tubing. You'd have to be careful with the resistance though. USB-C cables with the wrong internal resistance are known to fry the device that's powering them, or at the very least fry the host's USB ports.
The google engineer that tested the usb-c cables basically helped weed out shitty usb-c cables found on amazon and got them delisted. Cannibalizing a functional AC adapter is mostly a waste.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The google engineer that tested the usb-c cables basically helped weed out shitty usb-c cables found on amazon and got them delisted. Cannibalizing a functional AC adapter is mostly a waste.
I never mentioned an AC adapter. I meant one of those USB 3DS charge cables.
The thing is, I'm not sure if frankensteining two cables together would mess with the resistance enough to cause issues. Even if you use a known good USb-C cable it could still be a problem. That is why I suggested to cut only the plug off the 3DS charge cable though, to use as little of the cable from it as possible since it might affect the resistance.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A compliant usb-c cable uses a 56k resistor. Frankensteining your own cable is not recommended unless you got a background in electronics or engineering.

Like the lightning cables, the 5A@20V usb-c cables (fast charging compliant cables) have controller chips. That is why the use of an adapter with a usb cable is recommended, let the chip in the adaptor to manage your voltage and amp. You don't want to sit there and fry your 3DS with 5A@20V.

---

The days of making your own cables are coming to a close when they require chips in a cable.

I don't recommend using any fast charging port, even a usb-c fast charging port. The mAh needed for the 3DS is low enough for any standard charging port.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16