Chapter 2 of Toby Fox's Deltarune surprise launches on PC for free today

q7onYS.png

After nearly three years of radio silence, the newest game from acclaimed Undertale creator Toby Fox released today. Chapter 2 of Deltarune, the parallel story to Undertale, was suddenly announced early yesterday morning to be getting a release this morning on Steam and Itch. Like the first chapter, chapter 2 is available for a free download. However, according to a FAQ on the official Deltarune website, chapters 3-5 will be paid releases. It is also worth noting that these releases are only on Windows and Mac, and it is unknown when chapter 2 will be available on PS4 and Switch.

In a status update posted in September of 2020, Toby Fox stated that future chapters will likely not take as long as chapter 2 has. After releasing chapter 1, most of that development time was spent on finishing a detailed outline of the rest of the chapters, filling out the rest of his team, and trying to find a better engine to make the following chapters in other than GameMaker, which was used to develop the first chapter (before ultimately deciding to continue using GameMaker). As of right now, however, no solid details have been given on when to expect future chapters.

:arrow: Official Deltarune website

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got netraul ending on undertale and it only had one save slot i just gave up and youtube the other endings.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice that he's giving away the first two chapters free, but I'm not a huge fan of this type of piecemeal release schedule. Why not just drop the full game when it's finished, all at once, and make chapters one and two the demo?
probably because it's gonna take ass long and he wants to keep momentum / hype / speculation going

Reactions: Xzi

Deleted member 560282

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice that he's giving away the first two chapters free, but I'm not a huge fan of this type of piecemeal release schedule. Why not just drop the full game when it's finished, all at once, and make chapters one and two the demo?
He actually said he was going to release all the full game at once and only put chapter 1 for free. I don't know why the fuck he released this-

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i got netraul ending on undertale and it only had one save slot i just gave up and youtube the other endings.
Surely you are aware that if you're playing anything on the PC, it's generally trivial to manually back up the files in which the save data is stored and thus have as many save slots as you want?

Reactions: Xzi

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely you are aware that if you're playing anything on the PC, it's generally trivial to manually back up the files in which the save data is stored and thus have as many save slots as you want?

playing it on PS4...

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'd been wondering if Toby had quietly shelved this project, since there had been complete radio silence for the past three years.
Guess not!
He's not too social in general, development of Undertale was also on a silent side aside of some obligatory updates. Can't blame him much considering the SoSorry/Samael drama, tbh.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1