Chapter 2 of Toby Fox's Deltarune surprise launches on PC for free today

q7onYS.png

After nearly three years of radio silence, the newest game from acclaimed Undertale creator Toby Fox released today. Chapter 2 of Deltarune, the parallel story to Undertale, was suddenly announced early yesterday morning to be getting a release this morning on Steam and Itch. Like the first chapter, chapter 2 is available for a free download. However, according to a FAQ on the official Deltarune website, chapters 3-5 will be paid releases. It is also worth noting that these releases are only on Windows and Mac, and it is unknown when chapter 2 will be available on PS4 and Switch.

In a status update posted in September of 2020, Toby Fox stated that future chapters will likely not take as long as chapter 2 has. After releasing chapter 1, most of that development time was spent on finishing a detailed outline of the rest of the chapters, filling out the rest of his team, and trying to find a better engine to make the following chapters in other than GameMaker, which was used to develop the first chapter (before ultimately deciding to continue using GameMaker). As of right now, however, no solid details have been given on when to expect future chapters.

:arrow: Official Deltarune website

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Never heard of that drama; what was the general premise of their feud?
During development of Undertale, there were "add your character into the game" kickstarter rewards, and one of them was won by a guy named Samael, who decided to insert his chubby fetish fursona into the game. Toby Fox obliged by redesigning said fursona into a hidden boss named SoSorry - actually a pretty cute short battle, he did his best with the concept. Still, once people started digging into the history of said fursona, it sparked a massive drama around the then-newborn Undertale fandom (basically, "Furry perverts in my favorite indie gem, how could this be?!"), with Samael being harrassed so much that Toby himself had to step in with a public message, offering refunds to Sam and apologizing for the whole mess. Needless to say, the whole thing is a likely one of the reasons why he prefers to not interact with the fandom's shenanigans all too much.

Last edited by Pipistrele,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
During development of Undertale, there were "add your character into the game" kickstarter rewards, and one of them was won by a guy named Samael, who decided to insert his chubby fetish fursona into the game. Toby Fox obliged by redesigning said fursona into a hidden boss named SoSorry - actually a pretty cute short battle, he did his best with the concept. Still, once people started digging into the history of said fursona, it started a massive drama around the newfound fandom (basically, "Furry perverts in my favorite indie gem, how could this be?!"), with Samael being harrassed so much that Toby himself had to step in with a public message, offering refunds to Sam and apologizing for the whole mess. Needless to say, the whole thing is a likely one of the reasons why he prefers to not interact with the fandom's shenanigans all too much.
That sounds...particularly nasty. Samael did legitimately buy that reward; he didn't do anything wrong, and neither did Toby, who did what Sam paid him to do.
And didn't Toby also say he was not at all prepared for the massive fanbase his small indie game rapidly developed, with the resulting massive hatedom in response to particularly rabid/obsessive fanatics? That could very well be another reason for the three-year silence; he doesn't want to poke that hornet's nest.

Reactions: Pipistrele

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
That sounds...particularly nasty. Samael did legitimately buy that reward; he didn't do anything wrong, and neither did Toby, who did what Sam paid him to do.
And didn't Toby also say he was not at all prepared for the massive fanbase his small indie game rapidly developed, with the resulting massive hatedom in response to particularly rabid/obsessive fanatics? That could very well be another reason for the three-year silence; he doesn't want to poke that hornet's nest.
Fandoms do be like that, especially when they grow so sudden. Thankfully, people grew on SoSorry over time, and Samael himself seems to be pretty chill about the whole situation, so all well that ends well.
As for Toby, I think the only way to truly know why he doesn't show up as often is to ask him directly, and since he doesn't show up that often, it would be pretty hard to do so, so I guess we just need to let him be, not our business anyway :)

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...