Channels won't launch with categorii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drakorex, Mar 2, 2011.

Mar 2, 2011
  1. drakorex
    OP

Member drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I've accumulated channels for my various apps from here and there, and I like what I have, so I would prefer not to have to use some of the categorii friendly channels available. So what would I need to do to make what I have work with categorii?

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I don't understand what you want.
    You say that you don't want a categorii like apps, and then you ask categorii apps ?

Categorii is used to manage homebrew listed on Homebrew channel, not installed channels on your Wii menu.
    I don't think there's a similar tool for the Wii menu yet, but Marc_max is currently working on a channel manager (Seek Sort) for Sneek/Uneek.

If the "channel" you are talking about are the homebrew listed in HBC, then verify your path in Categorii setting.
    Though, there shouldn't be any problem to launch the homebrews because the listed homebrews are located in device:/apps/ only, so they are in the correct folder.

Be sure to use the latest version of categorii.

3. drakorex
    OP

United States
    Ok, let me clarify, I want to be able to organize my apps with categorii, and still be able to use my forwarders.

BTW,update: I can only use a forwarder for an app if it's one that was in the last category I was on in hbc. Can anyone explain this to me?

4. Cyan

France
    It should all depend on the forwarder.
    You have to know the path the forwarder is looking for.

If you use categorii, the path to your application is renamed, so your forwarder can't find the boot.dol file anymore.

If you want the forwarder to work on whatever category you set, then :
    1- use a forwarder that doesn't look for a path in "apps/", and place a copy of your application in the according folder and path.
    or
    2- place a copy of your application in all the paths of categorii, so when you switch the category you still have the correct path for boot.dol

Look at all your SD folder structure and file name on your computer, and compare with the "needed" path for the forwarder you are using.
    it has to match the "current" folder structure.
    Categorii is not filtering, it is moving and renaming the folders on your SD so that HBC load only the one in the "apps/" folder, so you don't have the files always on the same place for the forwarder to find it.

5. drakorex
    OP

United States
    ok, I get that, so how can I modify the channels to find the app in whatever category it's in?

6. Cyan

France
    There are 2 way to do all this :

• The easiest way is still to place the boot.dol in a place checked by the forwarder, if it's in the apps/ then create as much boot.dol as you need.

Example :
    you want to run snes emulator.
    on your wii menu you have a forwarder which looks for sd:/apps/snes9x_gx/boot.dol

in your homebrew channel, you want to use categorii to swap between "application" and "emulators".
    says that application is "sd:/apps/" folder, and emulators is "sd:/emu"

place snes9x_gx/boot.dol inside both :
    - sd:/apps/snes9x_gx/boot.dol
    and
    - sd:/emu/snes9x_gx/boot.dol

when you launch categorii to swap the folders appsemu, apps will be renamed to another folder name, and emu will be renamed to apps.
    launch categorii again and apps will be renamed back to emu, and the other folder will be renamed back to apps/

In both case, when you launch your Forwarder, it will find snes9x_gx/boot.dol in the sd:/apps/ folder, whichever categorii you decide to use.

NOTE :
    What I said about the folder renaming is totally invented, I don't know how the renaming is working in categorii, maybe there's a temporary name, or maybe it's swaping names appsemu back and forth.
    just read the readme of categorii first.
    I didn't have time to look at it myself yet. If you need more help, I'll check it this weekend.

•The second one needs compilation skills and channel creation tools.
    You will have to find the sources of the forwarder, changed the path it's looking for, from sd:/apps/snes9x_gx/boot.dol to something like sd:/my_folder_always_there_for_my_forwarders/snes9x_gx/boot.dol
    recompile, and recreate the channel.
    If you are not ready to edit the sources and recompile it yourself, I recommend you follow the first method.