Channels with dynamic banners (wiiconnect24 etc).

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by OSW, May 7, 2009.

May 7, 2009
  1. OSW
    OP

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Hi everyone [​IMG]

I'm interested if anyone knows much about channels that have banners that change according to wiiconnect24 etc.
    ie. News, weather, mario kart channel.

Is all that is required for these banners to work properly within the banner files?
    I'm interested because I have been completely unsuccessful in trying to create a homebrew channel with the mario kart channel banner.

I tried replacing various app files in the mk channel with a homebrew dol, and also just swapping the mario kart banner into another homebrew channel.
    BUt I get banner bricks with everything i do.

I hope something can be figured out because i accidentally deleted my mario kart savegame by removing the mk channel with wad manager.

ps: DO NOT REMOVE THE MK CHANNEL WITH WAD MANAGER [​IMG]

2. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    I believe that until now no one has figured this out, but I also don't know how much, if any, serious research has been done in that directions. While Nintendo's file formats are often awkward, many of them have been successfully reverse-engineered quickly.
    Use of WiiConnect24 in general is a subject homebrew has not touched upon yet, even though it's actually a very interesting service. Before dynamic banners, I think effort should be directed towards finding ways to recieve automated messages from homebrew apps.

3. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    It's not all contained within the channel m8.
    I know someone who was working on these but gave up after a long time trying.

Maybe this needs looked into again as a lot has been learned from then I suppose.

The data if I remember right was stored in /shared2/wc24

It seems to use a sort of rss type feed to download files and store them, then reloading at each menu reboot.

I do think someone who has time could figure this out a bit more.

Now for some channels the weather etc it contains different pictures for clouds, sun etc. But other channels like everyone votes seems to store the text data.
    Mario kart channel has several different animations with the names banner_Rso*.brlan. If I remember these were stored in the chans data folder.
    I can't remember now as it was a long time ago I was looking through it all but in the data folder I'm sure it had some files relating to Rso

Sorry for not being any help here, but this is something I'd love to see people with time improve upion. I myself have no time ever these days [​IMG]

I do know when you start one of these posts OSW, people seem to try to expand on the knowledge and I'd love a reminder of what was what with these dynamic banners.

hope someone can post some FACTS and we can all start building up the info required.

*EDIT*

Here is the only source of info I could find online..

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?10,2146

Also icefire creator of wadder might be a good person to ask OSW, I believe they know a lot about the various,files of channels and seems to visit gbatemp often ??

4. OSW
    OP

Australia
    All I want to do, is have a mario kart usbloader channel, with the mario kart channel banner.

Or, the mario kart channel, with it's main dol replaced with the mario kart usbloader dol.

Anyone know how to do this?

Does the mario kart channel have a replacable main dol?

5. Slimmmmmm

United Kingdom
    Not through "simple methods".

As my other post states there are quite a few files tied together to make the dynamic banner.

*EDIT*
    Maybe something can be made with benzin, but I'm unfamiliar with that myself, and I still think it would take a LOT of work.
    Hopefully someone will view this as a challenge for you m8, and one will appear though.

Another idea would be to hack the actual channel so that when you go to launch the game, it redirects to the usb. Can't see this happening any time soon though.

6. OSW
    OP

Australia
    Hemm, fair enough. I wish it were more simple lol. I just want to make some practical use of the mario kart channel... otherwise I'll just erase it permanently (it's pretty big).

I was just presuming that all the neccessary contents would be in 00000000.app (banner file) or mk channel.
    Hence all my attempts resulted in banner bricks (system files corrupted msg).

Do you know if mario kart channel works properly with a backup mk disk with cioscorp installed?

7. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    ill have a look at this now

Edit:
    worked with a mplayer ce forwarder seems to lack some animation tho

ill try the other way by getting another dol into the wad

8. OSW
    OP

Australia
    Cool! Some progress [​IMG]

9. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It does. I use it all the time.

10. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    ok i swapped the 00000001.app with scogger and it works with full animation now,
    my first attempt using a USB loader forwarder for some reason booted to a black screen.

if you want link me to the dol you want and ill have a look to see how it boots

EDIT: from reading the thread again it seems you replaced the banner/icon with a dol (00000000.app) in most cases a channels main dol is the 00000001.app this would explain the banner bricks it may also be possible to hex the id so you can install it alongside thereal channel

11. Slimmmmmm

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

So I assume the same will apply with the wiifit channelt etc too [​IMG]

I tried something similar to this a long, long time ago but no animation was displayed at all, and the loading of the dol resulted in a freeze.
    I wonder who will be first now to get the game channels re-routing to a USB games, then people could have either the shortcut type channel, or an actual hacked channel.

12. OSW
    OP

Australia
    nah, i know that much... lol.

pretty sure I've been replacing 00000001.app... because when i boot the wii, the banner appears on the system menu but within a moment i get "system files corrupted".
    i was talking about injecting mkchannel 00000000.app into another channel (so injecting banner, not dol), because i tried both methods.

Still, i must have done something stupidly wrong to get this lol...
    I tried loadmii dol first, and also usbloader dol.

I'm going to update my wwpacker version to the latest and try one last time...

EDIT: FINALLY! Working fine now after updating wwpacker [​IMG]