Changing Wii Region (NTSC-U > PAL)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CharlieFarly, Feb 2, 2010.

Feb 2, 2010
  1. CharlieFarly
    OP

Newcomer CharlieFarly Member

United Kingdom
    Hi,

1st post so please be gentle!.

I've an NTSC-U based Wii which we've had for a year and half / two years. This was obtained from China, and has fitted in it an Argon Clone modchip. The Wii has been updated to the 4.2 release of it's firmware, and has the Homebrew Channel installed.

Whilst the Wii is NTSC-U, I am actually in the UK. Numerous times the kids have looked at PAL based games in highstreet stores such as Game, Gamestation etc but I can never be sure that they will actually work. Although the unit has a chip in it, I tend to find that some PAL games will just black screen on startup.

Obviously by using something like Gecko (via HBC) I can sometimes get around these issues, but these aren't areas that I'm really that keen for the kids to go anywhere near for obvious reasons. One game that they have purchase - Jumper - I still have never managed to make work via Gecko.

So now, I'm thinking about doing something more critical - my thoughts now are to 'convert' the Wii from US (NTSC) to UK (PAL). I'm assuming that this is all down to the firmware.

I've looked around and found the application "Anyregion Changer", but noted some comments regarding this not working that well with the 4.2 platform.

Can someone please advise how best to go about making this type of change, and the recommended tool/software app. Alternatively is there a better way of achieving what I'm after - which is effectively PAL compatibility I guess - but making it invisible to the user (ie the kids just need to put the disc into the wii).

Obviously I understand that by changing the region I would also need to modify the chip in order to change it's region.

Thanks

Charlie.

2. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Okay first at all i would install bootmii as boot2 (should be possible with your wii since it´s a older one however the installer will tell you) and make a backup of your NAND just in case something goes wrong [​IMG] while installing the new SysMenu.
    Then you need to trucha patch IOS35 with DOP-IOS-MOD v10 (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS_MOD) or similar.
    After IOS35 is patched AnyRegion Changer will work.
    Also, you must delete your current shop account before changing the region (you will lose all games you bought in the Shop !!). Otherwise, you will get an error when accessing the shop channel.

Keep in mind that AnyRegionChanger can be really dangerous and fully brick your Wii that´s why you really should make a NAND Backup with bootmii before.

PS: If it´s a Korean Wii you can´t do it

3. Whistlers

Newcomer Whistlers Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have a question which kind of relates.

By installing wii preloader and using the hack region free what is the benefit of this?

4. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Would installing Neogamma as channel not be easier/safer? Its region free and doesn't check for system updates etc. No need to have HBC installed as it will be a channel. Just install via WAD Manager. Just a thought

5. simonarturo

Newcomer simonarturo Advanced Member

Venezuela

ok, hijcking this thread, I used AnyRegionChanger(as indicated in one of the tuts here) and managed to go from a 3.4J to a softmodded 4.1U, fully functional. But I might have missed the step of tinkering with the shop account, as the new one won't let me enter unless I update to 4.2, which I won't. What can I do to have a fully functional shop channel?

6. CharlieFarly
    OP

United Kingdom
    So, this should work even although I'm on 4.2 already?.

7. CharlieFarly
    OP

United Kingdom
  8. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    You download wads of the latest IOS61 and Shop Channel and install them with WAD Manager.