Changing Wi-Fi Server in a game?

Discussion in 'Wii - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Majin Vegeta, May 16, 2009.

May 16, 2009
  1. Majin Vegeta
    OP

Member Majin Vegeta GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hey, guys.
    How does a game know to which server it has to connect? A NTSC-U version will always connect to USA servers, while a PAL one always to PAL servers.
    Even if you use a save game of another region, it still connects to the server saved in the ISO.

So, my question: In which file is the server saved and is it possible to change it?

Since the release of PAL Brawl I never could decide which version I should take. So I hope it's possible to use the NTSC-U version (Brawl+ support), patch the server to the PAL one (fastest server, as I live in Germany) and change the game files to japanese (original sound+names, I don't care about not understanding most of the text), which would be the perfect version for me.
    And I also want to ask, if I still could use NTSC-U codes (Brawl+) in such a heavy-changed version.

I hope someone can help me^^

EDIT: I hope this is the right place to ask.

2. Sonic4Ever

Member Sonic4Ever GBAtemp Regular

France
    The theory you're betting on is just wrong.

Most games will connect the Wiis together via TCP/IP. Servers are only here for matchmaking, and download content. That's Brawl's case.

3. Majin Vegeta
    OP

Member Majin Vegeta GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Oh, so if I had 2 NTSC-J games, their online play would be still as fast/lagless as with 2 PAL games?
    I heard once that you need to forward ports in your Router to enable a player-2-player connection without server. Then I guess that was wrong?

OK, that solves my problem with Brawl, but there are other games which can only connect to people living in their own region. E.g. a NTSC-U version won't connect to PAL people (Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3), so my question still remains.