Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
learning commands is always helpful(since X tends to crash) and you can eventually use them to write scripts.

its always a pleasure to help someone interested in linux
smile.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I always knew of Linux but my parents didnt want me "wrecking" the computer. I have had the computer in my room for a year and was sick of it being diseased and slow so I upgraded to Linux. Dont worry Azimuth you will be getting lots of PM's off me
laugh.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a triple boot going. Vista, XP, and Ubuntu. Vista and XP aren't as bad as people make it out to be. Vista is in the same phase that XP was when it started. I remember a lot of people complaining because 128 mb of ram wouldn't cut it on XP. Now, that's not even an issue anymore. The problems with Vista will hopefully be solved with the release of the service packs. XP is by far the easiest OS to deal with. A lot of people complain about it, but these same people do very little to try to take care of that environment. They surf sites that are riddle with ad-ware then complain that XP gave them ad-ware. No, it didn't!

Ubuntu for me is just something to play around with. I rarely use it. It's great, but a lot of the games I want to play, I have to do some crazy things just to get them running. When you screw up, you can screw up pretty big and things can get extremely technical. Ubuntu vanilla is really unimpressive, but once you get things running like compiz, it can be extremely flashy. I basically use Linux to compile things that Windows would not be able to do.

gigermunit

Trophies
Website
gigermunit.uni.cc
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys

I am sick of Windows XP constantly crashin and being virus infected so I am upgrading to Linux. I have several questions though.

1. What distrubution should I use(I am used to Windows XP)?
2. What porgram do you use in place of Microsoft Word,Powerpoint Excell,etc?
3.I can use Firefox for the internet so I am set there.
4. How do you uninstall Windows from your System?
5. Is there a guide for all of this?
6. Is Songbird good for Media playing or is ther something better?
7. Can I have wireless internet going from Windows XP to Linux. ?
8.Can I play most games(I dont care that much for most games but if can play Soldat its cool)?
9. Can I still use my wireless internet(same question as 8 I think)

If there is anything else I need to know can you please tell me. Thanks

1.Ubuntu or Kubuntu
2. OpenOffice
3. Yes
4. Format the windows partition with the linux setup or make a new partition and put linux on that so you can move ur music files into linux then delete ur windows partition
5.Yes PM me if u need help
6.I use Amarok
7. Depends on ur wifi card and if ur willing to learn
8. Soldat i believe you can play on "WINE"
9.Again it depends on ur wifi card and if you are patient.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a triple boot going. Vista, XP, and Ubuntu. Vista and XP aren't as bad as people make it out to be. Vista is in the same phase that XP was when it started. I remember a lot of people complaining because 128 mb of ram wouldn't cut it on XP. Now, that's not even an issue anymore. The problems with Vista will hopefully be solved with the release of the service packs. XP is by far the easiest OS to deal with. A lot of people complain about it, but these same people do very little to try to take care of that environment. They surf sites that are riddle with ad-ware then complain that XP gave them ad-ware. No, it didn't!

Ubuntu for me is just something to play around with. I rarely use it. It's great, but a lot of the games I want to play, I have to do some crazy things just to get them running. When you screw up, you can screw up pretty big and things can get extremely technical. Ubuntu vanilla is really unimpressive, but once you get things running like compiz, it can be extremely flashy. I basically use Linux to compile things that Windows would not be able to do.

Sweet Another Vista User! I use Windows Vista Ultimate on my Desktop, I even have an Nvidia 8800 GTX to go with my Direct X 10. I am glad with my OS. I'm afraid to partition my drive on my desktop though. Anyways Kubuntu, i wonder why most people choose Ubuntu over Kubuntu? Is it the Gnome and the KDE Desktop difference?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ubuntu uses less resources. Kubuntu basically looks like Windows and works a lot like Windows. It's shinier than Ubuntu. The Vista partitioner works pretty good. My most recent install of Ubuntu was after I partitioned it with Vista.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1