Hacking Changing the Wii console's region permanently...

Cocytean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that people have asked a couple of times if it may be possible in the future to change the region of the wii console itself (ie. change an NTSC-J machine inot an NTSC-U machine). I was just wondering if anyone is actually working on such a tool? There seems to be huge leaps forward in the Wii hacking scene at the moment, and it would be great if one of you clever hackers/homebrew creators could have a think about this. I'd LOVE to not have an NTSC-J Wii anymore!

Cheers
grog.gif

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
Miles said:
I don't really see why you'd want to do this instead of have a region unlocker.
Touche.

If it really bothers you that much flog it on eBay and get yourself a PAL console. You too can enjoy waiting for games to be released that have been available in other regions for months

Cocytean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to do this so that I can use the Internet Channel in English. The Weather Channel. The Everybody Votes Channel. The Wii Store. To be able to actually use the Mariokart and Wii Fit Channels, instead of having them just sit on my dashboard. To be able to read the settings menu, instead of having to memorize the location of things. And as I live in China, it's a little difficult to just parcel things up for ebay. I'm looking forward to a helpful/informative post next....

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cocytean said:
I'd like to do this so that I can use the Internet Channel in English. The Weather Channel. The Everybody Votes Channel. The Wii Store. To be able to actually use the Mariokart and Wii Fit Channels, instead of having them just sit on my dashboard. To be able to read the settings menu, instead of having to memorize the location of things. And as I live in China, it's a little difficult to just parcel things up for ebay. I'm looking forward to a helpful/informative post next....
I was going to suggest just changing the language to Chinese, but it seems Nintendo didn't want to use up any more space than they had to.
I can see why now, but sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon, if at all.
Sorry

Cocytean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, Nintendo really screws people over with the region-locking/languages stuff. That's the one bonus of the PS3 - that thing can do pretty much everything from every country; it's got one hell of a settings menu. I dunno, there must be someone SOMEWHERE working on something like this - isn't that what the scene guys do? Do things just to be able to say they can do it? How about custom firmware, like the PSP currently uses? Anyone?
blink.gif

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall currently there are a few people working on the Wii firmware, so maybe if this goes the PSP route, we'll see custom firmwares or something.
Maybe a way to swap languages.

Cocytean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers Miles, I hope and pray for that day to arrive soon! If there's anyone reading this who is working on something like that, could you give us an update here on what you're doing, your progress, etc.? Thanks!

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
had an idea...

cant we like, hack the released opera channel, change the region and install it into jpn wiis

Cocytean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried using the 'freethewads' application on the hacked Opera Channel .wad - ticket error when installing

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
oh well

maybe another app is needed for these kinds of channels?

think freethewads is only for vc games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans