Changing the region of an LU64+ Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by C4SD, Jun 26, 2014.

1. C4SD
    OP

C4SD Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2014
    Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

Currently, I am practicing a speedrun of the GC game Rayman 3. Since I own a PAL Wii, I play the PAL version of this game, which I play on my LU64+ Wii. However, I learned that the NTSC version of this game runs at 30fps, which is a lot faster than the 25fps PAL version. For speedrunning, that 5fps difference matters a lot.

Thus, I went looking for a way to run the NTSC game on my PAL Wii and I found that people got it to work using DIOS MIOS Lite. I tried it, but I had to deal with a framerate issue on my Wii. The game wants to run at 30 fps, but my Wii still wants to run in 25, which will result in a laggy, unstable game.

Is there a way to solve that problem? I tried changing my region using AnyRegion Changer, but I found ARC is not working on my LU64+ Wii, whereas it is on my older Wii. Thanks in advance!

2. C4SD
    OP

C4SD Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2014
    Netherlands
    Let me rephrase my problem: I want to run an NTSC GC game on my PAL Wii. I used DIOS MIOS Lite on get the NTSC game to work, however, the framerate sucks and the game is laggy and unstable. How can I solve it?

3. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    Your trying to run a NTSC game in PAL refresh rate, either get component cables to use 480p or use the PAL version. Alternatively there's other version of the game if you have the Xbox or PS2. Or the HD version on Xbox 360 and PS3

4. C4SD
    OP

C4SD Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2014
    Netherlands
    Is there no way to avoid this problem via region changing? I own an older Wii too on which AnyRegion Changer works, and on that one I had the same problem with Japanese Ocarina of Time VC game. I solved it by just changing the region of my TV from PAL to NTSC.

Note: I can not play Rayman on that older Wii, because it will not read discs and since it will not read discs, I can not enable my controller when playing.

5. Doux91

Doux91 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 23, 2014
    the ntsc games can run in 480p and the pal games run in 480i, but some games PAL of gamecube can run in 480p, i just saw smash bros melee pal, running in 480p but the others pal dont, till i know its the same with DVDs NTSC (30fps) and PAL (25fps) i guess the different is the Frequency of 50/60hz the games must run better in 60hz, i have a ntsc console but i use the RGB cable and i can see pal games that i cant force to run in my console running in 480i or 576i maybe if you have the console running in 480p you can force the game to run in 480p and that can solve your problem

6. C4SD
    OP

C4SD Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2014
    Netherlands
    Thanks for your reply. It did not solve the problem, but I have tried some settings in USB Loader GX and here is what I found:
    • Video mode: Use global/Auto/System Default >> Game boots, but lag and distortion
    • Video mode: Force PAL 60 >> Black screen
    • Video mode: Force NTSC >> Game boots, but lag and distortion
    • Video mode: Force PAL 480p >> Black screen
    • Video mode: Force NTSC 480p >> Black screen
    I did not try PAL 50 for obvious reasons.
    I will continue to search for a solution, any help will be much appreciated!

7. Doux91

Doux91 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 23, 2014
    maybe with component cables, you must check the compatibility list of dios mios lite if you can run the game perfectly Im not sure if the console or the tv can bring you the problem, remember your console is pal, NTSC is better than pal because it shows more lines than PAL, maybe the console only can shows the 25fps but you are running a game that runs in 30fps, im not sure if thats true but see the 5fps of difference, why dont you play the pal version i guess tha pal version has your language not like the gringa, why dont try to change the region of the game maybe that can help you, when you run a game of another region you will see the game in black and white or gray