changing my m3 lite for a supercard ds one

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by greedykirby, Mar 1, 2009.

Mar 1, 2009
  1. greedykirby
    OP

Newcomer greedykirby Newbie

France
    Hi guys !

I just need your opinion on something I have had in mind for a while : changing my m3 lite for a supercard ds one.

Why ?

- I don't really play GBA games
    - Patching is a pain on m3 while supercard is just drag and drop
    - Some games just won't work with m3
    - Download play is terrible on m3
    - supercard has Real Save Time

Now I have some questions (maybe some should not be asked here) :

- Can I play with my m3 saves on supercard ?
    - Can I get a good price with my old m3 ?

Thanks in advance for your precious piece of advices !

Sorry, I posted this topic on the Game Boy Advance Discussions too ...

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Okay... Here is what I think...

I had a SuperCard DS One. They use a different style of saves since they use shortcuts so their names are different. Or you can use the Triple Boot Feature, and load the DSTT or YSMenu firmware, then keep on loading games from them (YSMenu/DSTT). Or, you can find out all the short cut names by going through all your games by getting the SuperCard to make new saves, then once you have the new saves, you rename all your saves from the M3 to match the saves for the SuperCard.

And, I would keep the M3. It might come useful to you, but I don't think they sell for much now, but it is still worth a try.

3. greedykirby
    OP

France
    Thanks for your answer !
    So, the supercard can use the format of my m3 saves, I just need to rename them ?

by the way, do you think supercard ds one is a good choice ? I see people tend to prefer cyclo DS and acekard in this forum

4. Splych

Philippines
    Yea, I wouldn't use the SuperCard's Firmware though since it probably takes forever to find out those saves (I am really lazy, so maybe for me). Just use the triple-boot feature and load the YSMenu's or DSTT's firmware instead and use that since they probably use your M3's Saves.

Well, to be honest, I didn't really like the SuperCard DS One v3. Just because their GUI was very bulky? It didn't really seem to fit for me, and cheats would never work... The only thing I did use on it was the triple boot feature. Other than that, I never used it's extra features such as RealTimeSave, RealTimeGuide and RealTimeCheats.

The CycloDS is so far, the top of the line flashcart in the DS Flashcart Market. It has RealTimeSave and RealTimeGuide. So far, it has very good compatibility with games and homebrew. Cheats work for sure. Uses the M3's saves I think if they just have the exact same file name with a .sav ending. Only thing that troubles people with this flashcart is that it is very expensive.

The AceKard 2.1 is probably the best flashcart that most people get if they don't have the money for a CycloDS. It has the best compatibility (No problems from me so far~!) with games and homebrew. Cheats are working. It doesn't have all those extra features such as the ones that the SuperCard and CycloDS have. Just the basics. The GUI is very fast which I like, and should be using the M3's saves if they have the exact same file name with the .sav ending. It is affordable, since it is less that $20. There is also an alternative firmware you can use known as the AKAIO. Better than the AceKard's original firmware since it does have better compatibility, and you can choose what kind of ending you want with the save files (either .nds.sav or .sav).

I can see that you are from France, so I don't have much recommendations of where to buy for you sadly. But the once site many people buy from is DealExtreme. It sells the AceKard 2.1 at the cheapest price, but doesn't sell the CycloDS Evolution.

There is also the AceKard 2i. Same thing as the AceKard 2.1 but is compatible with the DSi. I wouldn't buy this if you aren't going to get a DSi. And also because people haven't tested it for more than a year. So I wouldn't risk using it with a DSi just yet.

5. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Selling your M3 is a complicated business. M3 saves should work directly on SCDS-1. If not there is an online converter. All I can tell you for sure is that I once played NSMB on a friend's M3, converted the save and played it on my R4, then transferred to Supercard. I'm not even sure the conversion was necessary, I think it only changes filesize by adding or deleting null bytes, should work without any conversion.

6. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Get an AK2 from www.dealextreme.com like Splych mentioned above. It's the best cheap flashcart.

I never really liked the SCDS. IMO, Intuitive > GUI. SCDS has none of the former.

7. greedykirby
    OP

France
    Well, you guys make me hesitate ...
    I'd really like Real Save Time, I got used to it with snes emulator and it is just wonderful.
    But Cyclo DS is really expensive

Thanks for giving so many details in your points, I really appreciate.

8. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm familiar with M3 products (used to have a Real) so I can relate to your need to upgrade.

Overall, the Acekard is the best one out there if you don't wanna spend a lot. Unfortunately there is no compatibility with other flashcart's firmware's so you'd better like the GUI (I sure as hell do). The compatibility is fantastic, but like other FC's, you'll need to wait for updates if you want game piracy checks to be outmoded.

9. Splych

Philippines
    WAIT~! The M3Real has RealTimeSave I think~! That is still a good choice. I own one, but it just gets dust after I got my AceKard 2.1.

M3Real is good, it has RealTimeSave, but not those other features the SuperCard and CycloDS have.

10. greedykirby
    OP

France
    Hmm according to the review here, it has RTS only for gba.

So, if I want RTS (and I want it quite badly ^^), I can only have either a cyclo either a SCDS1 ?

- is the cyclo really worth 50$ ? What features are better than SCDS ?
    - you said SCDS cheats and GUI sucked but was it the v3 flashcart ?

11. Splych

Philippines
    There are also other flashcarts that I haven't mentions with RTS. From what I have heard, these flashcarts are the ones with RTS:
    - EZ-Flash V
    - M3Real (Still pressing on, going to do some more research)
    - iTouch DS (Not too sure. I think so, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. And GUI isn't too good, so don't bother with this one)
    - SuperCard DS One v3
    - Cyclo DS Evolution

Easy questions to answer:
    - CycloDS isn't really worth $50 if you aren't using those extra features. It has the same features as the SuperCard except the SuperCard comes with a feature known as RTC and Triple-Boot. RTC is RealTimeCheat allowing you to edit the cheats during gameplay. And Triple-Boot allows you to boot 3 different firmwares. So far, the only working firmwares are: SuperCard's firmware, DSTT Firmware, YSMenu's firmware.

- Yes it was the v3 flashcart. If you have any plans on getting the SuperCard, make sure you get the one with SDHC so it can hold high capacity Micro SD Cards.

12. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Avoid the scds-1, the SC team can't even get long save file names working. Ever since it came out I have been going to their china forums waiting and hoping for them to fix this archaic file system method.... it's been a very long wait in vain.

13. greedykirby
    OP

France
    oh I just found out my save files are .dat.
    Will it really work ??

14. Splych

Philippines
    Use this converter: Save Game Converter

Use it. Start with M3 as your source format then converter them to AceKard 2 Saves.

It should work right after that.

15. greedykirby
    OP

France
    OK.

So I went and ordered a SCDS-1 even though you all advised me not to.
    I read a comparison between SCDS-1 and cyclo DS in this forum that helped me make up my mind.
    I would have bought a cyclo it it was not so expensive or an Acekard if RTS was not important to me.

I got to thank you all guys for advice.
    I'll tell you if SCDS-1 was worth it !

16. Splych

Philippines
    Nice. SCDS-1 is cool. I owned one, but realized the extra features weren't being used. Noticed that the cheats would never work for me, so I would always use the triple-boot features just to use cheats.

I just thought the AceKard 2.1 had a better GUI/OS and better compatibility... That is all. That is the reason why I advised you not to get it, but good luck and have fun with your SCDS-1 once it comes~!