Changing IP name address.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was in in IPchicken.com and I noticed the "name address" part. Is it actually possible to change that? Yes. It's because I got IP banned and I don't want to use proxies...

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Not that I know of. It's a hostname determined by your ISP's DNS.

You can make an alias if you want to mask it, but if you do a lookup of your ip, it will always resolve to the real hostname unless your ISP changes it.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I was wondering why the home address on my laptop (where I'm banned) is different to my PC (which isn't). I guess the obvious answer is "JUST USE THE PC". But I wanted to know the answer because I'm curious.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Are the laptop and PC on the same internet connection?
I've never heard of the public IPs being different for computers on the same internet connection. Unless you've got 2 static IPs with each being forwarded to specific computers in your network.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't hurt to bump this. I know I could just go to the family PC and just browse from there but it helps to gain a bit of knowledge so I know what to do if something like this happens again (apart from learning NOT to get banned).

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Type this into a text document and save it as a .bat file:
QUOTE said:
@echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
exit

Then run it.

This will only change dynamic IPs, but is worth a shot either way.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Not if you're in an internal network where a device (such as a router or broadband modem) acts as a DHCP server. /release will release your current DHCP lease, and /renew makes it request a new one from the DHCP server, however it could end up giving you the same one you had before.

/flushdns has nothing to do with your IP, internal or external.

Just wondering, do both computers show an aol address, even though the IPs are different? Something like 172-64.ipt.aol.com?

I remember back when I ran a decently popular irc channel, aol IPs where pain in the ass because you couldn't ban someone on aol without banning all of aol. I think all they had to do was unplug their modem and plug it back in to get a different address.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
You can use a service, such as no-ip.org, to get a domain pointed at your address. Or if you own your own domain, you can add a DNS record for that domain to point to your IP.

But as I said, an alias will not hide your address. It's useful for having an easy-to-remember address pointed at your own address.

For example, I own the domain samutz.com, and I have a webserver running at home that I give my friends access to using something.samutz.com (I won't say what that something is, as it's private).

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not if you're in an internal network where a device (such as a router or broadband modem) acts as a DHCP server. /release will release your current DHCP lease, and /renew makes it request a new one from the DHCP server, however it could end up giving you the same one you had before.

/flushdns has nothing to do with your IP, internal or external.

Just wondering, do both computers show an aol address, even though the IPs are different? Something like 172-64.ipt.aol.com?

I remember back when I ran a decently popular irc channel, aol IPs where pain in the ass because you couldn't ban someone on aol without banning all of aol. I think all they had to do was unplug their modem and plug it back in to get a different address.
Well, my PC and laptop share the same IP address but the name address (blah blah.ipt.aol.com) is different. What is it that causes this? Oh and I got banned from the site because I constantly kept disconnecting my modem and reconnecting to get a different IP address so I guess they banned the address for my laptop.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, that just takes me back to "I've never heard of that, it's weird.".

Their servers should be seeing the same hostname for both computers if both have the same public IP.

For example, I pulled this AOL ip off some random guy on irc, 172.201.137.188. If you run nslookup 172.201.137.188 in the command line, it will always resolve to acc989bc.ipt.aol.com.

The only thing I can think of that might cause it to resolve to anything else is if AOL has a 2nd DNS entry that it can resolve to and random times. It wouldn't be specific to either computer though.

ianz

Trophies
XP
Country
so what is this AOL? is it cable internet or phone or adsl?

as with cable you can change your mac address and reboot your modem... that way you'll get a new ip... or you lose your internet connection till you put your mac adress back...

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I've given up on this.
frown.gif

All I left to say is...

AOL SUCKS!
Nya ha! Nya ha! Nya ha!

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found out that my Wii can browse to the site that banned me as well. I don't know if the ban is targeted at my laptop and if so, I wonder what I could do to change it. Or maybe it's long overdue for an upgrade

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Cookie ban maybe?
I've seen some modifications for forums and such that let admin use cookies to ban a computer. However, I'm sure deleting the cookie would undo the ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooohhh the steamy scene with Nurse Why. omg :blush:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty is Dr. Wut
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I washed my feet first.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Dr Strange is a gynecologist for prostitutes.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Going where lots of men have gone before
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tear off my nails
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it was a joke, but I used to bite my nails when I was young, but when I started doing construction work and seen what crap was under my nails, I stopped.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What i said isnt a joke
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sometimes yea when they get real long, you want to, but I always end up with a bloody finger or hangnails.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well that's 30 minutes worth of complaining
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They send you the wrong STD medicine again?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only person I've been with was your wife so
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only person I've been with was your wife so