Changing Game Icons On G6 Lite

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by richardfong, Jul 28, 2006.

Jul 28, 2006
  1. richardfong
    OP

Newcomer richardfong Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, me again with a second (and last!) quicik question for those that have the G6 Lite. Is it possible to change the icons that appear next to the NDS (or GBA for that matter) games? Are they .png or bmp files? I like to customise away and just wondering if it was possible.

Thanks everyone

Rich..

[​IMG]

2. _Mazza_

Member _Mazza_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It might be if you extract the contents of the rom, I don't think it's PNG or BMP though.

3. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    ive extracted some zipped roms and they sometimes have .png files in them but a lot only just have a .nds file. Anyone know how to change the icon? Or if you can unpack a .nds file?

Thanks

4. compi

Member compi GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    You can extract a .nds file with ndstool.

5. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    You would have to replace the icon in the rom with the icon of your choice, but that's a lot of work before transferring the rom over to your cart.

6. illumina

Member illumina GBAtemp Regular

What is the .ico file for on the G6 lite? Just a guess but isn't that for the icon?

7. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Yes, but that icon can't be read by any imaging software I've used.

8. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    outphase, i know this will sound obvious so hope i don't insult you here, but have you tried loading it in icon editing software? .ico files cant usually be read by normal image packages like photoshop for example.. If you meant the icon.char and icon.plt files inside the roms though your absolutley right, im not sure what can open them..

illumina, what did you mean by the .ico file on the G6 Lite?

Rich..

9. outphase

United States
    I didn't try much of anything. Paint and photoshop pretty much. the icon file can't even be read by windows image preview like any other icon can

10. illumina

Member illumina GBAtemp Regular

On the G6 lite, Theres 5 files per game. there's .nds, .0, .1, .2, and .ico. I was asking about the .ico of the file.
    I haven't tried doing anything with them.

11. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    ah, i bet that .ico is the one.. thanks for your help

12. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Indeed it is. I'm using the Metroid Prime Pinball icon for Super Metroid (SNESDS) [​IMG]

13. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    do you know (or does anyone else know) the pixel dimensions for these icons? im going to make my own based on the box art for each game you see, im pretty good at stuff like that. i would happiliy post these on the boards for those that want them if someone can tell me the dimensions.

thanks guys

Rich..

14. outphase

United States
    the icons stored directly on the g6 are an irregular format. the ones in the DS games are 32x32

15. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks outphase, although im not sure quite what you mean. arnt the ones in the DS games stored on the G6 lite? in the same folder as their respective saves?

also what do you mean by the ones being 'on the g6 are in an irregular format'?

thanks

16. outphase

United States
    The g6 software extracts the icon from the DS rom, then converts it to its proprietary format. Looking at the hex, they are completely different from the source image even when converted from bmp -> ico files

17. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for your reply outphase.. so there's no way to change the ds game icons displayed on the main menus then?

18. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Nope I have talked to G6 about this and they said it would be pretty difficult. Mainly I wanted to make icons for the GBA side but I am sure its the same on the DS side. You can of course swap .ico files but making your own will not be easy according to G6

19. richardfong
    OP

United Kingdom
    hmm.. its a little strange becuase i wonder how then people make these icons in the first place for them to be shown on that ds menu..

20. Quay Cur

Newcomer Quay Cur Advanced Member

United States
    .ico files are also used for webpage icons (some browsers display them next to the url and most will show them next to a saved favorite). I never bothered making one for my site, but one of my friends got hers made online. She made up the image to whatever size and format is appropriate and you send the file to a website and they email you back an .ico file of your image. No idea where to get that done, though. Going to take a look around...

Edit: My findings:

http://www.degraeve.com/favicon/ (uses PNG files, only seems to do 16x16 pixel ones, though)
    http://www.iconcool.com/download.htm (IconCool Editor, 30 day demo)

Well, ther may be more out there, but I didn't see much. Most stuff is oriented towards webpage .ico files, which are 16x16 pixels.