OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
unkindangel.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Poland
Okay... I don't know if I made the topic in a right place, but I'd like to ask a few questions about changing from DSi XL to 3DS XL and I want to discuss them all in one topic.
So, first the whole story. I have a DSi XL and I'm considering buying 3DS XL as soon as it comes out (I live in Poland, and our European relase is this Saturday I think). I thought about selling my DSi XL because I won't need it anymore... Right? I'm not so sure about it and this is why I have a few questions.

1) I have Acekard 2i (when it's inside my system the game card shows "Alex Rider Stormbreaker", this tells what firmware I have, right?) and I'm wondering if it is going to work on 3DS XL. I mean, to play normal DS games, "flat" ones.
2) If it's going to work, will my saves still be there? I'm not happy about losing my teams in Pokemon for example.
3) What about original games? I have Pokemon Soul Silver and, once again: will the saves still be working on the new system? And will the Pokewalker still work?
4) I heard that European 3DS XL will come without a charger. Will my charger from DSi XL work?

Thanks in advance!

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
1) acekard update for latest 4.3.0-10 isnt out yet (3DS XL not updated to that out of box tho)
2) saves are stored on game carts or flashcards not the device
3)again as above and the IR is in the cart, doesnt use the console
4) no charger is included, yes Dsi XL charger is exactly the same

any DSi Ware you have can be transferred tho

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Wow, thanks for fast answers! That's great news, this means I can sell my DSi XL. It will be hard, though, I have a lot of memories connected with it. Oh well, I'll see.

How much time it may take to make the update to akaio to work with 3DS XL? What do you think?

AKAIO is not the update you want

you need the card update which normally takes about 2 weeks

they will post info here tho
http://www.acekard.com/news.php#159

you can always update to the latest one available tho
http://www.acekard.com/download.php#ak2i

it should then work on your 3DS XL out of box as long as you dont update the console until the acekard patch is out and applied

Martauchowska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Poland
Okay... So, say I've bought 3DS XL. As soon as the new firmware is out, I download it to my AK2i, I put the latest akaio version on it and it works? Or did I get something wrong?

EDIT: And, another question. Is it really worth to update the console? You can see the improvements when normally using it? I've never ever updated my DSi XL, so... XD

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
well if you downlaod the current acekard patch

allows it to work on 4.2.0-9 3DS
http://www.acekard.com/download/ak2/ak2ifw_update_3ds42_dsi144.zip

then extract the zip and you will have 2 .nds files

as your updating on a DSiXL you want to copy the DSi .nds update to your sd card

then load up the acekard in the DSiXL and run the file like you would a game

follow the instructions and this will update the card

then when the 4.3.0-10 update comes out you will do the same
but you can get some practice in now

Martauchowska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Poland
Ooooh, I get it now! Thank you sooo much. So, if I would update my DSi XL now, I would have to download the patch you linked and follow your instructions to make everything work again, am I right?
Will doing it erase my files? It's better to do it on a freshly formatted card and put your files on it after updating?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Before you concider selling your dsi xl read my eariler post here.

http://gbatemp.net/topic/331315-did-the-threats-of-using-flashcards-on-3ds-come-true/page__view__findpost__p__4321708

If you enjoy the cat and mouse games with nintendo then by all means sell the dsi xl and enjoy updating everytime you turn on your 3ds xl.

Martauchowska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Poland
Er... Now I just got confused. :blink: Regular DS games really look that bad on 3DS? And I don't have to update my 3DS, do I? I've NEVER updated my DSi XL (it is like it was in a box) and it's working perfectly fine. I thought about selling my DSi to somehow refund a 3DS XL. You know.

@Bowser: ! I haven't thought about that, shit. So I'll have to update the acekard to make it work with 3DS XL using my DSi XL? I'm getting more and more confused...

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Ooooh, I get it now! Thank you sooo much. So, if I would update my DSi XL now, I would have to download the patch you linked and follow your instructions to make everything work again, am I right?
Will doing it erase my files? It's better to do it on a freshly formatted card and put your files on it after updating?

read above comment

the .nds file updates the Acekard 2i
not the console

the console update must be done last
or your card will not work on the console

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
If you ever need to update your flashcart and you have no console to do this because you sold your DSi XL then what will you do?

EDIT: If you make sure your flashcart is always updated before you update your Console then you will be fine.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you DSi XL is in good condition, do not sell it. I've been trying to get a used one for a while in decent condition and it seems impossible. Not many new ones around either.

Reactions: 1 person

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I thought about selling my DSi to somehow refund a 3DS XL. You know.

i am in the same predicament with my 3ds, i can't afford to keep both 3ds and buy the 3ds xl separately because of the ambassador games and data transfer (silly nintendo) just wait for more colours and price drop and by the time that happens you will be able to afford it, i can't justify the cost of the 3ds xl right now as i hardly use my normal 3ds anyway so i am more than willing to wait, good luck with your decision.

Martauchowska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='adgloride']: Well, my DSi XL has almost two years and it's like freshly taken out of the box - no scratches or anything, it works brilliantly. I also thought about waiting for the price drop... I don't know what to do really. At the moment, 3DS XL costs 849 zloty here in Poland (in preorder), which is around 246 dollars or 206 euro or 161 GBP. I think it's not so pricey now, really... What do yout think, the price may drop from this?

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='adgloride']: Well, my DSi XL has almost two years and it's like freshly taken out of the box - no scratches or anything, it works brilliantly. I also thought about waiting for the price drop... I don't know what to do really. At the moment, 3DS XL costs 849 zloty here in Poland (in preorder), which is around 246 dollars or 206 euro or 161 GBP. I think it's not so pricey now, really... What do yout think, the price may drop from this?

I don't think they are going to drop the price since they are already selling it for as cheap as they can (since they didn't include the charger to cut the price tag as much as possible)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1