Changing Battery on an M3 MicroDS

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Floker, Aug 6, 2011.

Aug 6, 2011
  1. Floker
    OP

Newcomer Floker Newbie

Germany
    Aww f** great.

just tried the battery-change out on my M3 who wasn't saving nor starting the module at all.

After buying 3 batteries (I'm an idiot for 4-fig numbers) I eventually got the old battery out. And what does it say on the back which you can only read if you remove the battery? "Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery".

Now what? Is my M3 broke and the battery is/was fine or it was empty and the M3 couldn't fill it? Is there any sense in replacing the battery?

If the M3 tries to charge the battery, I don't know what will happen (GBA exploding?). But if it was able to charge, why didn't charge it the old battery?
    If the M3 isn't capable of charging (anymore?), and the old battery was empty, is it usueful to replace the battery?

So in a hurry:

Is the Battery in a M3 normally a rechargeable one? Is the M3 recharging it?
    If my M3 doesn't start, how often it is a dead battery?
    How can I easily tell if that battery has any power left? Will the M3 explode if it tries to charge a normal battery?

Thanks for help?

2. Floker
    OP

Newcomer Floker Newbie

Germany
    Just put the M3-Battery into a clinical thermometer and it's down. New bought battery works in the thermometer, of course...

still not sure if I want to place a normal-battery into a rechargeable-station.

3. WigWrm

Member WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You have a M3 Lite? It should not have included a rechargeable battery (there is no internal circuit that charges the battery). Just desolder the old battery and solder the new one back in. As far as determining the life of the battery, I would suggest investing in a multimeter. You'll be able to read the voltage on the battery. If it's much lower than its rated voltage then the battery is no longer useful.

If the cart is not working normally, you may have dirty contacts (suggest cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol using a cotton swab).