Changed disk drive, backups no longer work

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SpiderDude, Jun 19, 2011.

Jun 19, 2011
  1. SpiderDude
    OP

Newcomer SpiderDude Newbie

United States
    OK, here's my story: one of my Wii's disk drives was making a loud noise when it was reading the disk, and started throwing disk read errors even when non-backup disks were in the drive. So I got a new disk drive off ebay, replaced the defective one, and it's smooth as silk now. Non-backups run just fine. But now backups won't run. NeoGamma (R9 b47) is giving Err: DVD Err 1208, says that the disk drive's date is 20080714, and says "Most likely no DVD-Rs possible". These are the same disks that worked fine before, and still work fine on another softmodded Wii. I've tried games on both DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs. Nothing.

Is there some firmware in the new DVD drive that needs to be updated before I can run backups again? Or did Nintendo just disable the ability for Wii disk drives to read burned DVDs at some point?

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Newer drives can't read backup discs or DVD movies. The first reported cases were in September 2009. You should switch to USB loading, which is much better than backup discs anyway.

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The latest NeoGamma states it clearer that the drive is too new for DVD-Rs.

4. SpiderDude
    OP

Newcomer SpiderDude Newbie

United States
    Yeah, but the error message I got didn't mention DVD+Rs. I figured I'd ask.