Hacking change Wiikey firmware into openWii?

TheStump

Got Wood?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey hotel guests.

I'm wondering what the chances are of being able to change the firmware on my Wiikey to that of the openWii. In light of all the 'lack of update' info (even though its quiet old) i want to know is it possible to use the DVD update from openWii to mod the firmware on my Wiikey?

If not, anyone is Oz built any open source chips? i want to know what cost im looking at. I was thinking of getting the parts from say, Jaycar, or maybe Dick Smith.

Cheers
biggrin.gif

Royal2000H

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I understand, you can program it... however ull need to figure out an alternative way to build the programmer because it's not a normal atmega8 that we're used to on the standard openwii

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can solder the programmer cable to the chip to flash OpenWii firmware onto WiiKey... I saw a pic of it once before, but cant find the pic.

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That pic was someone soldering the programmer to a XENOgc chip for the cube and flashing it with openwii.

The Wiikey can be done the same way. unfortunatly I dont have any Wiikeys to test with to find out what way to wire it.

TheStump

Got Wood?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well it all sounds too painfull to do, i just installed the wiikey tonight with little to no soldering exp. I pulled a pad off the wiikey and one off the wii itself...dont ask me how the damn thing actually managed to run backups though, i'll still shocked myself.
I'd take a picture but im afraid ill bump my shitting soldering job and one of the wires will come loose. Though i did shake the wii alot to test if it all held.

TheStump

Got Wood?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol, well it went pretty well until the final pad. My iron is 30W. But i think it got too hot and the pad just came lose. I'm totally thinking it should need a repair though...just in case

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I got my hands on a poop load of Wiikeys, so im gonna make a new programmer and see what we can do about dumping new firmwares to it

I will let you all know in a couple a days

Darunia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're telling the truth that would be awesome. In the official Wiikey forum over at wiinewz.com people are talking about doing this as well. According to them you just need to figure out the bootloader for the chip.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Assuming the WiiKey has the capability to perform a DVD upgrade, it wouldn't be impossible to reverse-engineer a update DVD that writes over the wiikey's firmware with another one.

The first step there would be snagging a backup up the flash on it like one of the many clone's creators. We already have the setup DVD which can edit a couple switches in the firmware.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It'd probably be 500 times easier if Wiikey had an update disc. It would likely take people little time to just replace the firmware with a new one on that disc and load it onto the Wiikey.

So the real argument comes, can people engineer a new update program before Wiikey puts out there update?

Ghostspirit

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So the real argument comes, can people engineer a new update program before Wiikey puts out there update?

What update?
Oh, you mean the one they told would have an ETA of "1 week".. When was that? About a month ago..
Yeah, that update.

tadeot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The regular price of a pic 12f629 is in order to 0.70/1 dollar then you can remove your wiikwy and put a pic with your preferred HEX program
and if you wants , put it externally , then do you not need open your wii in futures upgrades

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: iH