Hacking change the size of partitioned HDD without losing data?

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i realized that when i initially chose the size of Wii partition, i made it way too big. with the shrinking of the files and the lack of games i am highly interested in, there is no way i am going to ever use all of that space. so, can i make that partition smaller and make the regular partition for normal media bigger without moving everything off of my HDD?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Depends. Is it FAT32, NTFS or WBFS? You never specified the file system.
smile.gif
The first two should be pretty simple with a partition program.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Riicky said:
my question is can we shrink a wbfs partition with games on it, without losing data?

To my knowledge it can't be done as it's a custom file system. No partition program would recognise the structure.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Riicky said:
my question is can we shrink a wbfs partition with games on it, without losing data?

To my knowledge it can't be done as it's a custom file system. No partition program would recognise the structure.
Well, we've already written a bunch of tools that can handle WBFS. Look at all of the managers... Don't you think something could be done about it? I hate having to re-add all of my games when I have to change the size of my partition.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but each of them have they pros and cons.

For example, in FAT32 you have to split the images bigger than 4 GB. And in NTFS you don't get write access from the Wii, meaning that you can't dump your discs directly from there. Also, for both of them you still need a "manager" (converter) that turns the .iso in .wbfs, so it's no drag-and-drop from the Windows explorer.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dan_Aykroyd said:
Also, for both of them you still need a "manager" (converter) that turns the .iso in .wbfs, so it's no drag-and-drop from the Windows explorer.

That's not true. You can put isos directly on the drive without a manager. Of course they will be full sized. Unless you use sparse files on NTFS which does require a manager, but retains the iso file format.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Edhel said:
Riicky said:

Acronis Disk Director Suite® Version 10.0 (build 2.161)
can detect WBFS partitions as fat32.
I've tested a successful move of al whole wbfs partition from the beginning to the end of a harddisk. (for adding an additional fat32 partition on the beginning) The partition size was about 60gb, the hdd was 80gb
But a 2nd attempt with a 1TB drive and a 800gb partition failed and i lost all my data. (thank god i had a backup)

So - i would try it, but only if you've got a valid backup of your data !!!
lecture.gif

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Dan_Aykroyd said:
Also, for both of them you still need a "manager" (converter) that turns the .iso in .wbfs, so it's no drag-and-drop from the Windows explorer.

That's not true. You can put isos directly on the drive without a manager. Of course they will be full sized. Unless you use sparse files on NTFS which does require a manager, but retains the iso file format.

Yeah, of course you can copy them to directly to the disc. You can also copy the Diablo II game ISOs to it too, but you can't read neither one of them on a backup loader on the Wii, can you?

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dan_Aykroyd said:
Yeah, of course you can copy them to directly to the disc. You can also copy the Diablo II game ISOs to it too, but you can't read neither one of them on a backup loader on the Wii, can you?

Configurable USB loader supports direct loading of iso images from an NTFS volume only.....
yay.gif

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the easiest way that i can...

get the Wii games off of the WBFS partition

shrink the WBFS partition

get the Wii games back on the WBFS partion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly