ROM Hack Change save type to flash1m_v103

zeomax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a bunch of Pokemon repro cards lying around and i want to flash different games. My understanding is i need to patch the games so they can use the flash chip on this repro flash cards. I tried GBATA but this only can change the save type to SRAM but not back to FLASH or EEPROM
Is there a tool available that can change the save type not only in one direction?

Reactions: mrgone

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know of a patching program, but there is a tutorial for GB/GBC.

Regarding GBA, BennVennElectronics: "We'll need to code it. All GBA rom's use 'copy-paste' style save code so its super easy to find it even with a simple text search though a ROM. You can just replace that block of code with a new block that will save to Flash. Much easier than the GBC method." https://www.facebook.com/BennVennElectronics/posts/3330482273731869

Last edited by zfreeman,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not aware of any patching program -- every other use case has been "need to patch game/homebrew to use SRAM like a flash cart or my crap emulator choice".
The same principle applies -- find the location of the save code (as above then just an ASCII search of the ROM) and then rather than alter it to speak SRAM instead of its native EEPROM or Flash or other type of SRAM you alter it to speak Flash instead. For SRAM at least the patches are more or less the same, just a slightly different location depending upon save type.
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbacartbackupids covering the technical side of things here. Have not checked to see if there is some quick that makes transformation one way or another the easier way (one way say does not care about timings or something where the other does).

All that said why not just get flash carts? Far easier and more of a known concept.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent