Hacking Change RTC Battery and Prevent CE-3039-6 Error

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the cr2032 battery in ps4 runs flat it will no longer keep the kernel clock running and the clock will be set to year 1970, causing 30391 error when you try to launch anything (including retail discs). This isn't an issue for people on latest firmware as the kernel clock will be synced with psn server. However, on older firmware this will clearly cause problems, as you can't access psn network. IIRC setting kernel clock only works on 5.05, and on 6.72/7.02 we are just bypassing the error instead of fixing it. So I figured instead of waiting for the RTC battery to die and cause problems, I can replace it before it dies and my ps4 will be good for another 5 years.

Here's the steps:

1. Fully disassemble your ps4 and take out the motherboard;

2. Locate your RTC battery and measure its voltage with multimeter. My is at 3.09V but I'll replace it anyway.
JcFGDdd.jpg

3. Connect the PSU and plug it in. You only need to connect the 4 pin connector.
P5nabLZ.jpg

4. Measure the voltage before the tiny diode (which prevents charging the cr2032 battery when ps4 is plugged in). If your ps4 motherboard is powered you'll get a reading around 3.2V. Make sure the motherboard is powered before removing the old battery!
6KLd0a2.jpg

5. You can replace the battery now. I'm using an IKEA battery, quality is ok IMO.
BlvtZZN.jpg

Last edited by randy_w,

ItsmeAJ

Trophies
XP
Country
If I replace the battery without powering the mobo first, will it cause 30391-6 error on next boot?

assuming the battery is still good.

Last edited by ItsmeAJ,

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I replace the battery without powering the mobo first, will it cause 30391-6 error on next boot?

assuming the battery is still good.

I assume so, because kernel clock will be reset when RTC is no longer powered. I'm just doing it as a prevention measure as it's been 6 years since my console is manufactured.

Reactions: ItsmeAJ

ItsmeAJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I assume so, because kernel clock will be reset when RTC is no longer powered. I'm just doing it as a prevention measure as it's been 6 years since my console is manufactured.

Yours must be 12xx model, 5-6 years since production seem to be a good time to replace battery before error occurs.

Mine was manufactured in 2018 so it should last at least 2 more years before the battery needs to be replaced. At that time I hope we have permanent fix for the error.

Last edited by ItsmeAJ,
Reactions: randy_w

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
6 years and it was still at 3.09V? I don't think I would've changed that battery (and risk replacing it with a worse one) since it appears to have super powers.

Reactions: randy_w

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6 years and it was still at 3.09V? I don't think I would've changed that battery (and risk replacing it with a worse one) since it appears to have super powers.
Maybe that's because I keep my console plugged in most of the time so RTC is powered by PSU instead of the battery. Anyway from what I found online people complain a lot about that Mitsubishi battery, so I just changed it when I repasted my console to be safe.

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently kernelclock payload on 7.55 can change kernel time now, which makes this guide somewhat obsolete. Anyway this guide is still useful for people staying on 6.72 and 7.02.

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like I spoke too soon. Turns out kernel clock payload is broken on 6.72+ systems, and there's still no way to adjust kernel clock without PSN. Still, you can bypass the error with goldhen (or mira+todex).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk