CO55Y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
I looking to change the internal hdd in my PS4.
I have an activated PSN profile which I'd like to keep.
I've read that I can use the backup and restore feature of the PS4 to copy the contents over to the new hdd, however, I've read that the licenses don't get backed up, so I would have to sign in to PSN to reactivate them, is this correct?
I'm not too worried about my purchased games as I can just convert them into fpkg files beforehand and install them again afterwards.
The main thing is keeping my activated PSN profile and savegames. Will these still be usuable after restoring the data on the new hdd, or will it ask me to sign in to PSN before I can use them?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

DarkJediRey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i changed internal drives 1tb to 2tb, i checked every box (games/saves/ect) and backed up everything just fine.
just do this:

but you don't any kit, just a usb enclosure, usb cable (y-cable if unpowered), replacement drive, and the recovery fw PS4UPDATE.PUP (the larger update file renamed exactly like shown) on a usb stick. and if you're on 5.05 for instance, use the 5.05 recovery fw and skip the internet setup until you can set dns blocking and turn off auto updates in settings

i also recommend just getting this drive if you don't already have your replacement hdd
Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB External HDD - STDR2000100 - USB 3.0
you can pull the casing apart to get a cheaper internal 2tb hdd that fits in the ps4
and can also reuse the casing as an external with your old ps4 drive

Last edited by DarkJediRey,
Reactions: KiiWii

DarkJediRey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's why i suggested the method above. converting your legit psn apps to fpkg first will add unnecessary steps and hassle. i think the warning you see on screen about transferring saves has to do with backing up one ps4 and restoring to another console.
although, if you have the extra space, dumping your psn apps to a pc backup would be nice defense to combat potential hdd failure in case we never get psn access in the future.

Last edited by DarkJediRey,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's why i suggested the method above. converting your legit psn apps to fpkg first will add unnecessary steps and hassle. i think the warning you see on screen about transferring saves has to do with backing up one ps4 and restoring to another console.
although, if you have the extra space, dumping your psn apps to a pc backup would be nice defense to combat potential hdd failure in case we never get psn access in the future.

Well what he should do is build the FPKG and inject the save he currently has via Keystone injection and he can just do recovery file installation to 5.05 and then install those games later.

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/using-original-legit-ps4-game-saves-with-fpkgs-tutorial.5810/page-5

Reactions: DarkJediRey

DarkJediRey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's really the safest way, Hayato213. The first hdd i swapped to was the FireCuda SSHD 2TB. Only a couple hen payload system crashes later, and the whole drive was R.I.P. I couldn't even get it to appear in diskmanagement, diskpart, or any seatools like app. i guess the flash memory portion of the drive got corrupted or something. moral to the story, make a backup!!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's really the safest way, Hayato213. The first hdd i swapped to was the FireCuda SSHD 2TB. Only a couple hen payload system crashes later, and the whole drive was R.I.P. I couldn't even get it to appear in diskmanagement, diskpart, or any seatools like app. i guess the flash memory portion of the drive got corrupted or something. moral to the story, make a backup!!

For kernel panic aka crash for trying to load Hen, you can use Stooged DB_SG_Backup, it backup your database for you, reduce the amount games and saves get corrupted.
https://github.com/stooged/DB_SG_Backup-50X/releases

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@DarkJediRey well HDD aren't supposed to die that quicker even after getting kernel panic, when you buy the drive you can check the health using crystaldiskinfo to see if it healthy. We don't know how much damage each kernel panic does to the HDD. There was a thread by someone else couple weeks ago his ps4 was crashing more often and games lockup because his drive was dying.

Reactions: DarkJediRey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1