Hacking Chances of bricking my DS with R4?

Graffix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read a lot about these brickers coded to delete the DS' firmware and was wondering what is the chance of me coming across an .nds file corrupted by this? It seems there is no new "virus" (if that's what you want to call it) that has been created anytime recently so I'm gonna assume I'm fairly safe but are there any pre-cautions I can take to avoid this happening? Considering I just got my DSL I would be incredibly pissed if I downloaded a game and it turns out it's infected with one of these two/three files. I'm still waiting on my R4 actually and just want to make sure I know enough about these type of things beforehand.

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh! I didn't even know about this! I would like to know some precautions as well. (though I'm getting a new DS lite soon anyways due to my touch screen being pretty much useless on my current one.) I download my games off of isohunt torrents. Is that a bad idea?

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what is flashme?

A firmware hack for DS that removes that annoying health warning screen (or not with stealth version), but I think it also safeguards against bricking by allowing you to restore normal firmware (unflash). Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

The process might seem like a hassle, bridging internal connections with a paperclip/metal object, but it's really not that bad.

Then again, this might require a slot 2 device...

Graffix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there a program out there that checks for the code used by the bricker file? I know of one DS rom site that has a smaller forum, I'd say a few hundred members max, can't be to sure either way.

eddyisgreat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hrm....I wonder if R4 commander has the ability to check the roms...although my entire library (about 350 NDS roms...shhh) was recognized by R4C including release number and game title...

Ahh well. In computer programming our professors gripe about future engineers not taking chances and fixing their mistakes
wink.gif

Ad_Enuff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it a bad idea to download off of isohunt torrents?

You can download any rom from wherever you like, the best practice full stop is to use clrMAMEpro and the latest rom verification DAT from http://www.advanscene.com

That way if anyone has tampered with it deliberately, just a duff rom or someone has patched it with an ARM7 fix, using that method will show up any problems and rename and zip your roms all at the same time.

If you haven't done this practice before, I suggest you do so.

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
what is flashme?

A firmware hack for DS that removes that annoying health warning screen (or not with stealth version), but I think it also safeguards against bricking by allowing you to restore normal firmware (unflash). Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

The process might seem like a hassle, bridging internal connections with a paperclip/metal object, but it's really not that bad.

Then again, this might require a slot 2 device...
Actually flashme does run off a slot 1 cart, such as the r4. You just need the latest version of flashme.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make sure to check that each untrimmed rom you download is either 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256 MB.

However, following precautions isn't really necessary, just find a reliable rom source, and download all roms from there. Or if you use a torrent site, check to see if there are any comments from other users.

Finding a bricker is very rare. I have yet to come across a bricker, and I download from various websites.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Being able to unbrick the DS is the only reason I still have flashme installed. That's the best thing to install to avoid bricking. I've always found that the bricker could be in the homebrew. Never had a problem with the Roms.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I was always wondering how brickers can brick soft in DS. Because if you want to change soft you have to make short circuit withy small screwdriver. My theory is that brickers install themselves in ram memory , thus they could be erased by putting out battery (but it is just theory I never checked it ).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM