Chances of a Flash Player for DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Pedro UK, Mar 29, 2007.

Mar 29, 2007
  1. Pedro UK
    OP

Member Pedro UK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I really enjoy playing a lot of flash games on my PC. I'd love to play some of them on my DS and I know the machine is powerful enough to handle these kind of games. I was wondering if anybody knows if the DS is powerful enough to run a Flash Player and if so has anybody heard of somebody working on one. I think it would be a great way to get loads of interesting new games onto the mighty DS! [​IMG]

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Natrium started something along these lines, DS Flash. Last I heard, it could play SWF animations without sound.

The DS is powerful enough to play games with similar graphics (i.e. very simple) to Flash games, but actual Flash games need more power. I don't know if that would work. It probably could play SWF games if it had a Flash player, an if the games were made especially for the DS.

3. quadomatic

Member quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I doubt Natrium42 will finish that Flash player. If he released the source code maybe there will be hope.

He's too wrapped up with DSerial, which I don't think is for sale yet.

4. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Full SWF support (not counting VP6/flv) should be possible through gnash, which can take advantage of the DS's 3D hardware (through OpenGL) instead of software only like the official PC and PSP flash players.

5. Pedro UK
    OP

Member Pedro UK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ^
    What's Gnash? Is that a programming language? [​IMG]

6. BvG

Member BvG GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Source code is in the ZIP file: [​IMG]