CFW Zelda: BotW running without booting into CFW/sigpatcher

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by iFiny, Mar 23, 2017.

1. iFiny
    OP

iFiny Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2017
    Romania
    I installed Breath of the Wild using WUPInstaller while having Mocha CFW on sysNAND, I don't have CBHC set up. I accidentally ran BotW without starting Mocha CFW and it didn't show the prompt to delete the game, it just started the game and it works perfectly. All my other CFW titles don't work without Mocha, so it's an issue limited to BotW – it also runs after unplugging the console and after removing the SD card.

I'm thinking that if my CFW BotW runs without any sigpatching, there could be a way to make other CFW titles work like this. If you're interested, please let me know if, and how, I can provide some logs.

2. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    I'm fairly sure games installed using WUPInstaller should work without CFW if they're the same region as your Wii U, for the most part anyway.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Most Wii U games don't require CFW to run. Games that have disc versions can run without CFW. Games that require CFW include eShop-only titles, virtual console games, games with pirated DLC, etc.

pelago and Scarlet like this.
  4. Chris_Highwind

Chris_Highwind GBAtemp Fan

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Mooresville, NC
    I believe the reason it works without CFW is because Breath of the Wild has a legit ticket that allows it to be run without having been purchased through the eShop due to having a physical disk copy. Digital-only titles require CFW or sigpatches.

EDIT: DLC requires CFW as well

OrGoN3 likes this.
  5. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    As everyone else said, CFW is not needed for the Brazilian method. The only part of BotW that needs CFW is the DLC, which as of right now, is only a shitty in-game Switch t-shirt.

As others stated, disc-based games with proper tickets do not need CFW even when obtained from the eShop. The CFW is needed for non-disc games from the eShop as well as non-legit DLC.

6. iFiny
    OP

iFiny Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2017
    Romania
    Wait, really? All my other CFW titles are indeed eShop games, so I was confused when I got the prompt on my other games.
    I kept seeing on tutorials and forum threads that you need to run a sigpatcher before running a CFW title.

Thank you all for the quick replies