Cfw won't boot after moving latest tinfoil files onto sd card

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by oorangesodaa, Nov 14, 2019.

1. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I'm running cfw on an 8.1.0 switch and just moved the latest tinfoil build files onto my switch's sd card (I moved them to root and chose to replaces all files of same name when prompted).

Now, when I attempt to boot into cfw via hekate 5.1 it shows me the atmos screen, then Sept screen and then goes back to the hekate bootloader screen. In other words, hekate isn't booting cfw and I can't get to the switches home screen!

Anyone experiencing this problem?

Best,
    Kel.

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    That's almost always a problem with the SD card. Try taking it out and then back in.

3. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Load up Atmosphere fusee-primary.bin

4. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Germany
    if you copied every file of tinfoil, you now have tinfoils atmo fork, which should only start through fusee-primary.bin. if you don't want it, remove every file of it and restore your old cfw. next time only copy the switch folder.

until yesterday I had the atmo fork with kosmos on top of it without removing it properly, it caused crashes and stutter in pokemon shield for me.

5. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    delete the Tinfoil folder and install again

6. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hey! Thanks for the info. It loaded to the switch home menu and I can play games but can't access the homebrew menu via the hold R and select gallery method now - meed this to install the tinfoil stuff I loaded...

7. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    I would just use Kosmos pack that is bundle with Atmosphere, for tinfoil you only need to copy over the tinfoil folder as you aren't forced to use mercury anymore, Im not sure if Blawar changes the rules again lol. Worse case get your games online and install with Goldleaf.

8. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hey, thanks for the reply! How would I restore the old cfw as I'll find it difficult to distinguish between what was already on my switch sd card and the folders I copied over from the tinfoil website download... I'm so confused!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I do use gold leaf normally but wanted to try out the new nsz files via tinfoil and have managed to complicate everything!

9. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Then I guess you going have to stick with Tinfoil as Xortroll has no plan to add support for NSZ, keep in mind, it is not a legit format, and other forum that people share games on aren't posting games in NSZ format, just NSP and XCI.

10. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Germany
    I would just delete everything and only leave switch / nintendo folder and maybe more depends on what's on your sd. look for things you might need so back them up. game mods, themes, atmo modules, nand / key backups. after that copy over kosmos (or whatever you are using) fresh on sd.

you can try this for nsz https://gbatemp.net/threads/awoo-in...-installer-based-on-tinfoil-plutonium.551923/
    or this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/goldbricks-nsp-nsz-title-installer.550869/

Last edited by gohan123, Nov 14, 2019
  11. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    HBG supports it

12. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Right, all I really have on there are is a ton of games that I'd ideally like to keep - is all that stuff located in switch/Nintendo folder?

13. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    That is an App, not a forum like DSW, Umbra etc.

Owenge likes this.
  14. Hardline

Hardline GBAtemp Fan

May 7, 2012
    number 1 .. always read the read me file then it usually goes well

15. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    If I were you I would do this.

Delete the Atmosphere folder, bootloader, sept and the tinfoil folder from Switch .

Install for example "Kosmos" since it's easy to use. Copy over the Sigpatches you need and the ONLY copy tinfoil.nro to your Switch folder.

Hardline likes this.
  16. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I deleted as many remnants of tinfoil from the sd card as I could (after uninstalling it on the switch itself) and it still gets trapped in a hekate boot cycle. Going through just the fusee-atmosphere payload injection boots cfw fine and I can access the homebrew menu - is there any reason to tinker further when this avenue is seems to serve OK?

17. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Thats up to you. I love to have Hekate boot for me since I sometimes do backups etc. I'm just giving you an advice, if you want to do what I said. It's up to you :)

18. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I've managed to restore a backup via checkpoint - should this not be the case? I'm so up for taking your advice as I really know very little about all this :)

19. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    that's just a save game.

Well if you really wanna use Kosmos, do what I showed :)

20. oorangesodaa
    OP

oorangesodaa Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    What did you mean by backup? Sorry, I'm so out of touch and unlearned.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted