Hacking Cfw with updated emunand without gateway

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been reading some threads for now and there are 2 that took my attention.
This one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/

Which explains how to install a custom firmware, create a emunand and update it to 9.4, giving the idea that it's possible to instal via games/files using BBM or DevMenu.

however, that tutorial mentions the use of any flash card for Nintendo DS, however, the results are in smaller words: Being able to install via files without a gateway BUT using a flash card.

Then there is this other tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-cfw-on-4-5-without-ds-flashcart-gateway.380878/

Which explain how to install the da exploit and create an emunand without any flash card , only using a web browser.

I'm pretty new to the 3ds scene, being this my first handheld of this generation, however, I was wondering, if it was possible to combine the 2 tutorials to install a CFW Without ANYA flash card at all and then being able to install cia files on the 3DS, I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer on my 3ds, so I don't care that much about banning using public headers.
also both threads mention that updating to 9.5 the emunand, starts giving problems to the users, since it's the last update, is there any way to install the 9.4 instead of the 9.5 on the emunand, and play cia files without any flash card?

I'm sorry if im breaking the rules or posting in the wrong section.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, CFW only goes up to 4.5 (I believe). So you can only install firmware spoofed cia's which work on 4.5, and that's about it. If you want a sort of custom firmware which can do emuNAND up to 9.5, get a Gateway.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the first tutorial does go up, up to 9.4 without gateway. My question is if its possible to merge those two tutorials and getting an emunand up to 9.x able to install cia files. Without any flash card.

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could update to 9.4 mt emunand and borrow someones mt card to install bigbluemenu then youd have a 9.4 emunand with the ability to install cia files without a flashcard (cart? or linker) XD

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could update to 9.4 mt emunand and borrow someones mt card to install bigbluemenu then youd have a 9.4 emunand with the ability to install cia files without a flashcard (cart? or linker) XD

IIRC you can't boot unsigned channels from Classic Mode, unless MT did something different with theirs.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I'm pretty new to all this scene, but, isn't what the first tutorial that I refer what it actually does? The only difference being that the exploit will be installed with the second ,ethos, then using the first tutorial to update to 9.x emunand, and using the ip method to install the DevMenu.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1. You can't update the firmware CFW itself other than stay at 4.5 until someone leaks something that can support 9.x.
2. You can't run anything privacy (unsigned things - 3ds, cia etc) in classic mode (emunand) but retail cards. If yes, ask yourself how can GW/MT exist in this world?

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh that's my fault. I thought the whole reason ppl were using nt emunand over gateways is because Mt emunand doesn't require the card to be inserted. My bad. Jeez way to look like a dumb ass :wacko:

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You can't update the firmware CFW itself other than stay at 4.5 until someone leaks something that can support 9.x.
2. You can't run anything privacy (unsigned things - 3ds, cia etc) in classic mode (emunand) but retail cards. If yes, ask yourself how can GW/MT exist in this world?
Im not refering to update the CFW, unless the custom firmware is the same as the Emunand.

I got a 4.5 3DS XL, and i want to install cia files without a gateway or a flash cardtridge, the second tutorial shows how to install the CFW (Correct me if im wrong please), and the first one shows how to do the same, but also updating the Emunand to 9.2 (not the CFW, unless the CFW is the same as the Emunand.)

Since there is a whole new scene that im not aware, im trying to understand the basics.

In theory, the only thing i want to do, is for example, play Majoras Mask / Smash Bros (if its available as .CIA), in offline mode, since i dont really care for eshop or online play, but knowing that the lastest firmware is 9.5, the first tutorial shows an Emunand update to 9.4, since it was the lastest update, but 9.5 has several glitchs that im trying to avoid.

So the guideliens would be:
*-Install the ds profile exploit. [Via the second tutorial, using the webrowser]
*-Make a backup of the nand using the gateway or mt launcher?.
*-Once the backup of the nand is made, proceed to create an Emunand[FW - 4.5].

NOW, with the Emunand on the 3DS, UPDATE THE EMUNAND to 9.x to be able to instal newer game as cia files....

while writting this. i think i get what you guys are tying to tell me...

CFW != Emunand...

CFW only supports 4.5 but lets me install Cia files....
And Emunand is just a regular clone of a nand just updated ot enter eShop in case i dont want to mess with the 4.5 . . . .

Dammit... so there is no way to play newer games on 4.5 without a flash card? Do we have a list of the games that needs X update of the Sysnand?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CFW != Emunand...

CFW only supports 4.5 but lets me install Cia files....
And Emunand is just a regular clone of a nand just updated ot enter eShop in case i dont want to mess with the 4.5 . . . .

Dammit... so there is no way to play newer games on 4.5 without a flash card? Do we have a list of the games that needs X update of the Sysnand?

Let's clear up some confusion. The "CFW" is an emuNAND, but it only works with 4.x firmwares, and it allows pirating games/DLC via the CIA format. If you update it, it will break, so don't do that. The CFW is also not patched for region-free (meaning if you want to play out of region CIAs you'll need them patched for region free, which doesn't always work right), and does not block updates from retail cards. What you are calling emuNAND, in this case, is also known as Classic Mode on both Gateway and MT card's launchers. Using that will let you play retail carts and eShop games that require firmwares higher than 4.x, and is region-free for retail carts. What it will NOT do is let you play pirated CIA games or pirated DLC. Classic Mode is basically for using legally purchased software only. So when one refers to an emuNAND, more context is needed. It refers to several things.

Reactions: thaikhoa

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's clear up some confusion. The "CFW" is an emuNAND, but it only works with 4.x firmwares, and it allows pirating games/DLC via the CIA format. If you update it, it will break, so don't do that. The CFW is also not patched for region-free (meaning if you want to play out of region CIAs you'll need them patched for region free, which doesn't always work right), and does not block updates from retail cards. What you are calling emuNAND, in this case, is also known as Classic Mode on both Gateway and MT card's launchers. Using that will let you play retail carts and eShop games that require firmwares higher than 4.x, and is region-free for retail carts. What it will NOT do is let you play pirated CIA games or pirated DLC. Classic Mode is basically for using legally purchased software only. So when one refers to an emuNAND, more context is needed. It refers to several things.

Totally the answer i was looking for.. know, knowing that the CFW only works on 4.5, do we have a compatibility list for a low level firmware? games that works and wont work, like an excel table where the game is present with their firmware needed?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Totally the answer i was looking for.. know, knowing that the CFW only works on 4.5, do we have a compatibility list for a low level firmware? games that works and wont work, like an excel table where the game is present with their firmware needed?

Refer to this thread for a non-exhaustive list. A safe assumption is that games needing 7.x or newer likely will not work at this time, due to a new encryption being added to the games that the 4.x firmware will never understand. There are exceptions though, such as Fantasy Life and Persona Q, but those are the exceptions, not the norm.

Reactions: ScarletDreamz

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No problem. The 3DS situation is pretty muddled right now. It's not like the DS scene where you just popped a cart in and played, or the Wii scene where you installed a cIOS and went on your way.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im getting it right know lol, the terms used on this scene are a little confussing, i have been modding since forever, cfw and exploits from psp, cios and mios for wii, kernels for ds, downgraders and launchers for ps3, as well as RGH and LT for xbox 360, but this scenebe uses confussing or mixed terms, dont know, feels weird, but thanks for clearing things ups for me! C:

Reactions: daxtsu

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You're quite welcome. Even calling it emuNAND is technically incorrect because of the way the CFW/Gateway/MT/etc. work, but that's pretty much what everyone refers to it as, so yeah..it's a bit late to re-teach people. Anyhow, enjoy your stay here at GBATemp.

Reactions: ScarletDreamz

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you install a .cia on emunand (GW/MT) it shows up on sysnand as well, due to the SD cards using the same folder, right?

Wouldn't it work then to use two SD cards:

Card A) CFW
- Install signed .cia
Card B) MT emu
- Copy files from card A

Then play the signed cfw in MT emu without flash card?

For games like MM, although I haven't seen a signed .cia of it yet,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for what i understand, i cant be done, since a cia file can only be installed on a CFW, and since is installed unsigned, Sysnand and Emunand, does not detect the purchase from eshop, therefore, it does not appear on emunand nor sysnand, unless purchased from eshop ;D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr