Hardware CFW sleep mode drains battery 75% in 8 hours while OFW is normal

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased a new-in-box original switch running firmware v2.1.0. The first thing I did was install Hekate with the minimal option at SDSetup and configure the emuMMC. Everything went smoothly and that night I put the switch in sleep mode while booted into custom firmware. The battery was fully charged and when I woke up it was down to only 25%, having lost 75% battery life in roughly 8 hours. Initially I was worried that maybe the battery was bad due to it being an older unit so I removed the SD card and booted into the original firmware. That night I did the same thing and left the switch in sleep and when I woke up the battery was at 97%, only draining 3% in 8 hours. That's quite the difference!

I started searching around for anyone having similar issues but couldn't really find anything that matched my scenario. I did verify a few things, like making sure airplane mode is on, not having AutoRCM configured, making sure the switch was level, etc. but none of that really seems to have made a difference. I started from scratch again, this time downloading everything myself and configuring the SD card manually. I made sure I didn't run any applications from the album, I don't think anything was running in the background, charged the battery to 100% and put it in sleep mode. Again, the same thing, when I woke up the switch was at 22% battery life.

Aside from the high battery drain in sleep mode, battery life while using the switch seems to be good. I tested it out playing a game in both the original and custom firmware and battery drain seems to be about the same. Could something be preventing the switch from entering full sleep mode and only the display is turning off? I'm really at a loss here and not sure what to do next. Any help is much appreciated!

KnightMars

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Please provide more information,
  • Switch V1 or V2
  • OFW
  • CFW
  • Atmosphere or SXOS
  • Hardware or Software modded
You should update your firmware to the latest version.

Last edited by KnightMars,

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch: New out-of-box V1
OFW: 2.1.0 battery drains 3% in sleep over 8 hours
CFW: 2.1.0 battery drains 75% in sleep over 8 hours
Atmosphere: 0.18.0/2021.02.07
Software modded
AutoRCM disabled
Airplane mode enabled

Battery drain is normal while playing game in OFW and CFW.

Last edited by mosipd,

KnightMars

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Software modded
AutoRCM disabled
Airplane mode enabled

your FW is too low v2.1.0, please update

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for getting back to me. If you don't mind me asking, what firmware would you recommend running? Also, is there any reason or benefit to updating the OFW?

Thanks again!

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for getting back to me. If you don't mind me asking, what firmware would you recommend running? Also, is there any reason or benefit to updating the OFW?

Thanks again!

Ninty and their stability updates are a meme and all but they are very real, the switch has gone through a lot of internal changes firmware wise, since you have the latest atmo working fine then use the daybreak app thats included with atmo to update to 11.0.1, no reason not to be on the latest since everything is currently available for it.

In the future tho think about refraning from updating until a game you want to play or a feature you want is added, at the very least till everything you use is updated to support the new firmware.

KnightMars

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Thanks again!
Not all games can be repacked for v2.1.0 to run.
Some of the game required minimum firmware (e.g. v11.0.1) and the revised software development kit (SDK)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Software modded
AutoRCM disabled
Airplane mode enabled

Update your firmware to latest if you want, if you want preserve your fuse. Do a battery recalibration with hekate, my hard modded unit drain less that your in several days.

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll update the Switch to v11.0.1 and check into calibrating the battery if that doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated the firmware to v11.0.1 through Daybreak and all seems to have gone well. I did reboot back into the stock firmware though and that's still on the old version (v2.1.0), is that supposed to happen? I thought updating through Daybreak would also update the stock firmware but I guess I was wrong.

Should I update the stock firmware too, and if so how do you do that without connecting to the internet and Nintendo services?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated the firmware to v11.0.1 through Daybreak and all seems to have gone well. I did reboot back into the stock firmware though and that's still on the old version (v2.1.0), is that supposed to happen? I thought updating through Daybreak would also update the stock firmware but I guess I was wrong.

Should I update the stock firmware too, and if so how do you do that without connecting to the internet and Nintendo services?

Sound like you had an emunand, and that you updated the emunand, if your stock NAND is clean you can update via nintendo server.

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound like you had an emunand, and that you updated the emunand, if your stock NAND is clean you can update via nintendo server.

I think my stock NAND is clean, it's never been connected to the internet since I purchased it. However I read about things like the super nag and that's why I originally refrained from updating. Is it worth updating the stock NAND or should I just keep it at v2.1.0? I don't plan on doing anything on the stock firmware unless I have to.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think my stock NAND is clean, it's never been connected to the internet since I purchased it. However I read about things like the super nag and that's why I originally refrained from updating. Is it worth updating the stock NAND or should I just keep it at v2.1.0? I don't plan on doing anything on the stock firmware unless I have to.
If your console is hacked through RCM and not iPatched (which it isn't) you don't have to worry about supernags or anything like that. RCM exploit can never be patched/blocked by an update.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so updating the OFW to the latest version definitely fixed the battery issue. Now overnight the switch only lost 1%, which is better battery life than on the stock v2.1.0 firmware.

Updating to v11.0.1 however broke a few apps including Goldleaf and RetroArch. Running Goldleaf just returns you to the album but RetroArch throws a 2168-0002 error. Holding down R while running both doesn't seem to make a difference. It's definitely related to the firmware version as when I formatted my SD card and went back to v2.1.0 everything works as intended.

Any idea why everything seems to work fine on v2.1.0 but not on the latest? Is there a better firmware version I should be using rather than v11.0.1?

Last edited by mosipd,

KnightMars

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Updating to v11.0.1 however broke a few apps including Goldleaf and RetroArch. Running Goldleaf just returns you to the album but RetroArch throws a 2168-0002 error. Holding down R while running both doesn't seem to make a difference. It's definitely related to the firmware version as when I formatted my SD card and went back to v2.1.0 everything works as intended.

Don't use Goldleaf, I'm using TinWoo

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'll move on from Goldleaf but RetroArch crashing with a 2168-0002 error is more the issue. I've searched around quite a bit and while other users have had this error, most seem to be when loading ROMs. My error happens when you launch it from the Album, whether holding down R or not. Could this be a memory issue? At first I thought maybe v11.0.1 has higher memory usage than v2.1.0, but that doesn't make sense if other people can use that firmware and RetroArch.

I assume that I'm doing something wrong but I can't quite figure out what. After formatting the SD card with FAT32 and creating a fresh emuMMC it works flawlessly, then I update to v11.0.1, reboot and now RetroArch crashes. I verified the checksum of the firmware image I downloaded so I don't think it's that, any other ideas where I should look? Is there a way to pull logs or decipher these error codes?

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'll move on from Goldleaf but RetroArch crashing with a 2168-0002 error is more the issue. I've searched around quite a bit and while other users have had this error, most seem to be when loading ROMs. My error happens when you launch it from the Album, whether holding down R or not. Could this be a memory issue? At first I thought maybe v11.0.1 has higher memory usage than v2.1.0, but that doesn't make sense if other people can use that firmware and RetroArch.

I assume that I'm doing something wrong but I can't quite figure out what. After formatting the SD card with FAT32 and creating a fresh emuMMC it works flawlessly, then I update to v11.0.1, reboot and now RetroArch crashes. I verified the checksum of the firmware image I downloaded so I don't think it's that, any other ideas where I should look? Is there a way to pull logs or decipher these error codes?

Sounds like you are running it in applet mode? hold R when booting a full game and it should instead go to the hb menu but this time with full system resources available to it, or install a retroarch forwerder which will add an icon to your home menu that boots retroarch with full resources.

There is also making forwarders for specific games which is really neat.

Also make sure you are using the latest version from https://www.retroarch.com/?page=platforms

As for goldleaf iirc it has to do with a change in 11.0 that broke compat with a lot of older homebrew, it needs to be updated by its dev and IDK if goldleaf is still being worked on.

Last edited by fate6,

mosipd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I guess I'll have to figure out how to set up a forwarder, but it still bugs me that it works fine in applet mode on the old firmware. There's gotta be some reason why it works that way on v2.1.0 but not on the latest firmware.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I guess I'll have to figure out how to set up a forwarder, but it still bugs me that it works fine in applet mode on the old firmware. There's gotta be some reason why it works that way on v2.1.0 but not on the latest firmware.
Maybe the actual firmware used less memory so there was more free. The firmware has more going on than it did in ye olden times.

E: also goldleaf just got a new update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all