OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
newagesoldier.com
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS is on OFW v4.3 and I use the DS profile button to boot in to GateWay 3ds. I also play Super Smash Bros. online often.

- I like how easy it is to update the firmware for the most part. You just boot to gateway mode, and system update.

- I hate how the game select menu is one long stream of games as Super Smash Bros. is almost at the very end of games. I would rather it just be in grid format.
- I hate having to select DS profile to to get to Gateway 3ds mode.
- I hate having to re-install Gateway exploit after using my DS flash cart.

1) Is using a custom firmware like Luma3Ds easy to update (from system menu) when a new firmware update is available.
2) Is it easier to boot to Gateway mode? Like immediately from system power on.
3) Can I play my games online without getting banned? (Like PS3 for example, as soon as you are seen online with a CFW you are banned).
4) Can I see all my Gateway games on the main menu grid system using a CFW?

EDIT: Looks like I might have to use this guide to auto boot gateway mode? https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/wiki/gateway_a9lh
Also this guide says you're good to go online and updating shouldn't be an issue. Not sure about any sort of ban risk.

Last edited by erfg12,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
1) updating a cfw works the same way as a gateway.
2) new entrypoints like menuhax and a9lh let you boot a cfw (or Gateway). Luma also supports the DS profile exploit for legacy compatability.
3) Yes. There are no real pitfalls.
4) Assuming the same emunand is used, all installed cia files will be shared on the main menu of gateway and your cfw.

Reactions: erfg12

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You don't necessarily need to format your SD card. A9LH doesn't require an EmuNAND so if you follow the guide, you should end up finding that EmuNAND feels unnecessary. But you can get rid of your EmuNAND at any time - do it later if you're worried.

The whole point of A9LH is the exploits run at boot time so you enter CFW straight away from cold boot. No need to use 4.3 or 9.2 SysNAND anymore, thus no need for EmuNAND.

Last edited by sj33,

erfg12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
newagesoldier.com
XP
Country
United States
But what about launching the Gateway games? Won't that always be using the EMUNand? Can Luma3DS just read the Gateway card without having to launch in to the Gateway CFW?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
But what about launching the Gateway games? Won't that always be using the EMUNand? Can Luma3DS just read the Gateway card without having to launch in to the Gateway CFW?
Luma is not a replacement for Gateway, but together they work together nicely. Luma is good at running GBA games, DSiWare, and legit DS cartridges. Gateway is for running games from the red card and for 3DS cheats.

Tutorial for setting up Gateway and Luma if you finish Plailect's guide:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

erfg12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
newagesoldier.com
XP
Country
United States
@UniqueGeek ok I think that's where I was getting confused. I might use CtrBootManager with a 5 second timer and have the 2 options Gateway by default and Luma3DS as a second option. That way I can immediately boot in to Gateway but have the option for Luma3DS in case I ever want to use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: