Hacking cfw, possible to reduce brightness below 1 ?

hofotureas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
i run an luma new 3ds.

for a long time i have trouble with the screen brightness of n3ds. in my optionion: in a dark environment, level 1 is still too bright.

now with the recent advancemnts in cfw, i was wondering if there is a way to lower brightness below level 1

thanks!

Reactions: TonyNESgri

:-infern:

GBAtemp Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far there hasn't been any.

However for safetys sake please don't play 3DS in a dark room, or use any screen electronics for that matter. Using a bright source of light in a dark environment really damages your eyes.

Reactions: R4ismychildhood
D

Deleted User

Use BootNTR Selector, press X + Y, go to Backlight option, set all the way to between 1 - 5

vatrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
However for safetys sake please don't play 3DS in a dark room, or use any screen electronics for that matter. Using a bright source of light in a dark environment really damages your eyes.

Ask any optometrists and they'll tell you that's a myth. Sure, a bright screen in a dark room will tire your eyes and makes it uncomfortable, but it's not permanent.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

:-infern:

GBAtemp Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask any optometrists and they'll tell you that's a myth. Sure, a bright screen in a dark room will tire your eyes and makes it uncomfortable, but it's not permanent.

We firstly don't know if it is permanent for sure since there has been a set of mixed results in the scientific community. However it can cause eye strain, because the pupils are constantly dilating and restricting due to changes of light, which can lead to other issues.

All Optometrists I've been to have recommended against it, not that its a myth since there hasn't been enough studies.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP

That's like asking a crack dealer if it's bad to smoke rocks! It's in his business interests to make sure you engage in antics detrimental to yourself and seeing as optometrists are as invested in pushing their product they probably give the same type of advice.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That's like asking a crack dealer if it's bad to smoke rocks! It's in his business interests to make sure you engage in antics detrimental to yourself and seeing as optometrists are as invested in pushing their product they probably give the same type of advice.
Wouldn't that logically mean that they would encourage you to use bright screens in dark rooms? Unless using bright screens in dark rooms improves your eyesight and they don't want everyone to know the secret or they'll be out of a job? :P

hofotureas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use BootNTR Selector, press X + Y, go to Backlight option, set all the way to between 1 - 5

does this set brightness below the standard 1 to 5 scale of regular 3ds brightness?

to translate 1 - 5 to 20 % - 100 % backlight brightness

i am looking for a way to set brightness at 5 % to 10 %

D

Deleted User

does this set brightness below the standard 1 to 5 scale of regular 3ds brightness?

to translate 1 - 5 to 20 % - 100 % backlight brightness

i am looking for a way to set brightness at 5 % to 10 %
Yes, setting 1 makes it very dark than the Home Menu's normal brightness setting

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far there hasn't been any.

As someone how has a perscription worse than most people in their 60s, I can promise you thats the one thing that won't cause your eyes to get worse.
I blame CRT monitors.

Anyways, I'm not sure if the 3DS can go lower than 1. Anything lower would probably make it feel like a GBC screen. :rofl2:

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
As someone how has a perscription worse than most people in their 60s, I can promise you thats the one thing that won't cause your eyes to get worse.
I blame CRT monitors.

Now below 70s :)
Ba8iPB0.jpg

Ontopic: I'm gonna add that the backlight feature is only available on NTR 3.4, no previous version have it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16