Hacking CFW Possibility with rxTools

Jonathan Toby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Sorry, i just wanna ask if i can play with rxtools or other cfw. is it possible to play 3ds games without flash cart. Recently i bought gateway and i am confused, is it worthed to use gateway rather than cfw. And can somebody tells the difference between having gateway and cfw with its cons and pros while playing 3ds games?

My 3ds xl is on 8.1 firmware.

Thanks

Last edited by Jonathan Toby,

Jonathan Toby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If you have a GW, you may aswell use it, as it allows you to load .3ds roms from the cart. CFW's like rxTools are based around installing .cias to the emuNAND.
So is CFW can install games without GW, or it helps GW to install CIA ? Sorry newbie :yay:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

First why don't you state what firmware you are on, people are more receptive to answering questions when they have all the facts.
Hi thanks for the reply, i have edited the post

If you have a GW, you may aswell use it, as it allows you to load .3ds roms from the cart. CFW's like rxTools are based around installing .cias to the emuNAND.
Is it necessary to buy GW to play games, or we can use CFW without GW to play games?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So is CFW can install games without GW, or it helps GW to install CIA ? Sorry newbie :yay:

Hi thanks for the reply, i have edited the post

Is it necessary to buy GW to play games, or we can use CFW without GW to play games?
GW is needed if you want to play roms in .3ds format, rather than going through the hour-long ordeal of installing a CIA file.
Which to me is a pretty big deal, but that's just about the only advantage GW has over CFW right now.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
CFW is free vs GW which costs money, playing 3ds vs installing files (once) based on that doesn't make gw a contender in my book.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cant GW handle region-free better than the CFW? i recall rxTools had a problem with out-of-region CIA's..
Nevertheless, th eonly advantage GW has over CFW is being able to load .3ds roms from the cart.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recall rxTools had a problem with out-of-region CIA's
In an ideal world where people create their CIAs properly, this should never happen. Even if it does, you can grab the .3ds and convert it rather easily to apply such a patch yourself.
Now, with region free carts, there's the problems going on... though once you're in CFW they're not quite necessary.

Reactions: plasma

tranxuanthang

Trophies
XP
Country
GW maybe better, but it's pretty expensive at my country (30~40$ 64$ extractly), and rxtools is completely free. It helped me save a lot of money

Last edited by tranxuanthang,

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do get a GW, I still recommend installing rxTools as a replacement for Classic Mode. GW Classic Mode will undo any illegitimate DLC installed, whereas rxTools allows you to use your retail carts without worries about reinstalling DLC CIA files and save encryption issues when using your retail carts in a non-modded 3DS.

Reactions: MattKimura
D

Deleted-19228

CFW is free vs GW which costs money, playing 3ds vs installing files (once) based on that doesn't make gw a contender in my book.

Depends on what your value of time is. I don't like waiting 30 minutes for a 1.7GB file to install. But I am dealing with it now.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on what your value of time is. I don't like waiting 30 minutes for a 1.7GB file to install. But I am dealing with it now.
I normally choose something to watch on netflix whilst I wait or have a bath, the options are limitless :P

tranxuanthang

Trophies
XP
Country
yea man, you can save your money to buy an sd card and put lots of games on it. done
I only bought a 16gb sdcard for 7$. It's enough for me at least now
Now i wonder resident evil revelations cia will take how many time to install :d

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are out of region games (that only came out in that region) that have DLC, such as the Japanese Taiko no Tatsujin. The only way to use the DLC for those games is through Gateway, and no amount of patching the .cia files will fix that. Someone needs to reverse how Gateway is doing it through patching the system ram.

If you don't care for that, then there is really no reason not to use rxTools with Pasta on an O3DS. GW also makes things a bit easier to get started (as far as initial installation of a .cia manager to either sysnand or emunand) for beginners. This is because you can get them in .3ds format as well. Once you have a .cia manager installed, the DLC thing is the only advantage.

With an N3DS, I still prefer the GW. On an O3DS, it's less important since people have made tools that can be launched directly from the browser.

Clear as mud?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All in all, both Gateway and Rxtools costs money.
Gateway costs $70 + about $20 for a 32 GB micro SD.
Rxtools requires you to get a big SD card and this is the reason why I say Rxtools costs money. The CFW is free, but mostly every user will need a big SD card if they plan on being a full on Rxtools user.
Obviously Rxtools is the cheaper option to go with and you install it the same way.

Also, installing cia may take long, but if you're using a class 10 SD card USH-3 you will get top speeds. It's very manageable if you just don't watch the game install and do something while it installs. Because once you have all the games isntalled, you're set for good. Just be sure you're not considering system transferring anytime soon. Because you can't system transfer ANY of these cia's. I'd keep all the cia files on a computer for backup.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
All in all, both Gateway and Rxtools costs money.
Gateway costs $70 + about $20 for a 32 GB micro SD.
Rxtools requires you to get a big SD card and this is the reason why I say Rxtools costs money. The CFW is free, but mostly every user will need a big SD card if they plan on being a full on Rxtools user.
Obviously Rxtools is the cheaper option to go with and you install it the same way.

Also, installing cia may take long, but if you're using a class 10 SD card USH-3 you will get top speeds. It's very manageable if you just don't watch the game install and do something while it installs. Because once you have all the games isntalled, you're set for good. Just be sure you're not considering system transferring anytime soon. Because you can't system transfer ANY of these cia's. I'd keep all the cia files on a computer for backup.
Don't forget MicroSD in an SD adapter can be used for rxtools for those that only have microsd and don't wan't to spend extra money getting a SD.

Reactions: MattKimura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM