Hacking CFW / OFW - Couple of Questions

justaplaneguy0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been out of the modding switches here for a bit since the latest OFW dropped and trying to catch up. I have 5 unpatched switches on my desk, and giving one of them to my friend's son. He plays everything offline except for fortnite. The switch I was going to give him is clean, with a clean sysNAND, and EMMU / atmosphere that's in incognito with Tinfoil ready to go. I have an RCM loader that has the correct payload on it specifically for Atmosphere EMMU

They're not very tech savvy people, and if they want to play fortnite, then i'm looking for the easiest most painless way possible for them to switch between CFW and OFW. Questions I have are as follows:

1) CFW and OFW are both currently at the 11.0.1 level.
a. Can / should these both be upgraded at this time to 12.0.1?
b. an CFW be lower than OFW?
c. What's the easiest way to upgrade both nowadays without a complete wipe / restore of the SD card?

2) Have an RCM Loader, more specifically so that if they shut the thing off, they just plug the loader in and it boots the CFW just fine.
a. Is there a simple way for them to switch between OFW & CFW so that they can legitimately play fortnite and then use CFW for everything else?
b. Can RCM loader be loaded with a payload for OFW boot AND CFW boot? (I haven't seen a payload that boot to OFW... that's why i'm asking that question).

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You are mistaking what CFW is.
Currently atmosphere is on version 0.19.2. So being at 11.0.1 is false.

SysMMC is system running from internal memory
EmuMMC is copy of SysMMC running from sdcard

CFW can be running on both SysMMC and EmuMMC. EmuMMC cannot be running as OFW.

Get your terms right.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you don't plan to install any nsps or xcis, or cheat online, its also possible to just use the sysnand with cfw, without using any emunand or incognito features. I'm online this way for a few years now.

If you plan to use any kind of backup you still should continue to use the emunand.
You can still just update the sysnand normaly with the system settings on the switch, and for playing online this is also needed.
For updating the emunand you can use daybreak from atmosphere, with either a self dumped update, or by downloading the update packge somewhere. You also don't need to have them have the same version on both the emunand and sysnand, unless you want to be able to use gamecards in both of them.

To switch from emunand to sysnand you could probably setup somthing like fastCFWswitch and hekate, to reboot into the stock fw mode, the other way around would still need rcm.
Another thing you could do, woulf be to try to setup cfw, so its used on both nands. This way you can switch directly between the sysnand and emunand with the fastCFWswitch overlay and hekate. In this case you just need to make sure, that icognito is not applied to the sysnand, and that no backups are installed and used on the sysnand.

justaplaneguy0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are mistaking what CFW is.
Currently atmosphere is on version 0.19.2. So being at 11.0.1 is false.

SysMMC is system running from internal memory
EmuMMC is copy of SysMMC running from sdcard

CFW can be running on both SysMMC and EmuMMC. EmuMMC cannot be running as OFW.

Get your terms right.

Ok sorry, it's early....prior to my first cup of coffee, and been a while since I updated or messed around with this stuff. Someone call the "term police" on me.... I'm a hardened criminal ready to go into the station.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

B.) if your talking abt the ams version. it can be higher then the ofw e.g i can have ams 19.0 on 11.0.1
c. What do you mean?

Apologies.... clarification:

SysMMC / EmuMMC are 11.0.1 (haven't updated to latest). And AMS is on 17.1 currently.

c. Is it recommended to upgrade to 12 and latest version of AMS (19.2) at this time? If so, what's the easiest path to do so nowadays?

NotErista

Trophies
Website
amazon.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok sorry, it's early....prior to my first cup of coffee, and been a while since I updated or messed around with this stuff. Someone call the "term police" on me.... I'm a hardened criminal ready to go into the station.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Apologies.... clarification:

SysMMC / EmuMMC are 11.0.1 (haven't updated to latest). And AMS is on 17.1 currently.

c. Is it recommended to upgrade to 12 and latest version of AMS (19.2) at this time? If so, what's the easiest path to do so nowadays?
C. Yeah it is. Just update your ofw then download ams then extract it

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been out of the modding switches here for a bit since the latest OFW dropped and trying to catch up. I have 5 unpatched switches on my desk, and giving one of them to my friend's son. He plays everything offline except for fortnite. The switch I was going to give him is clean, with a clean sysNAND, and EMMU / atmosphere that's in incognito with Tinfoil ready to go. I have an RCM loader that has the correct payload on it specifically for Atmosphere EMMU

They're not very tech savvy people, and if they want to play fortnite, then i'm looking for the easiest most painless way possible for them to switch between CFW and OFW. Questions I have are as follows:

a. Can / should these both be upgraded at this time to 12.0.1?
b. an CFW be lower than OFW?
c. What's the easiest way to upgrade both nowadays without a complete wipe / restore of the SD card?

2) Have an RCM Loader, more specifically so that if they shut the thing off, they just plug the loader in and it boots the CFW just fine.
a. Is there a simple way for them to switch between OFW & CFW so that they can legitimately play fortnite and then use CFW for everything else?
b. Can RCM loader be loaded with a payload for OFW boot AND CFW boot? (I haven't seen a payload that boot to OFW... that's why i'm asking that question).
  1. Its not currently recommended to update to firmware 12.X for CFW as not all homebrew applications work on that firmware and no games/updates require it. The only reason you would update is for online play. If you do wish to update, you can use the homebrew application Daybreak which is bundled with Atmosphere
  2. The simplest way would be to reboot your console. As for your other question, Hekate can boot CFW and semi "OFW" which is called Stock mode

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night